• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Photoreal texture for an airport to be used in P3D v4

Hello,
I'm new to airport design.

I built the LIMN airport using the last version of ADE.
To do it I used a satellite image in the background to place the objects in their right place.
I had also to rework this image because I downloaded it through SBuilderX that gets current images, but I wanted to get a portion of that airport dated back to 2009.
I compiled the airport and loaded its BGL to the simulator.
It is quite good for my current goals.
Obviously I see the airport with all the objects but the ground terrain is the original of the simulator.

Now, I'm asking if it is easily possible to use the same image to create the textures of the ground to add to the airport.
If so, what tool to use (the easiest and straightforward) and some guidance.

Thanks a lot.

Country
france
Just a question
by using the image as texture do you mean as background Texture ( not taxiways / runways and ... )
if yes keep using sbx
if no
Go get 3Ds max 2018 and put the image you used in ADE with same dimenssions and put it in 3Ds and start making polygons of all the runways and ...
then get a custom texture of asphalt or markings and put it in / try to support PBR and then just export as an X file
with MCX Ground polygons wizard place the object you made
play with layers
and then just export as bgl and Voila!

(for PBR you hvae have some issues but the MCX is getting updated and fixed by the time so don't worry )
and if you have other questions
i'm here
RED :)

Hello Red,
thanks for taking care.
I'm totally confused.
In ADE I used New Background Image and selected it, then I started to design Runways, Taxiways, hangars, etc.
I here attach a picture of ADE.
The land that you see under the airport is what I would like to convert in a background of my scenario as well.

Attachments

• ADE.jpg
    ADE.jpg
    346.2 KB · Views: 246
Last edited by a moderator:
Country
france
can you tell me what you want exactelly ?
is it a custom ground textures / markings / Things like gate numbers ? or jus a big background image in the airport area

The latest: I would like to see in the simulator the same background shown in the image.

Country
france
ok so just with SBX when you get an image
open it in photoshop or any Image manipulating programme ( like GIMP 2 which is free )
create a water mask if there is water in your image and a blend mask

Water mask :
it is composed of two colors ( BLACK and WHite )
how to make it : easy
1- open your image in the programme that you want
2- paint all water with black color ( in an other layer ofc not the base image )
3- make a layer under the water layer and paint it all in white and by all i mean ALL
4- save it as TIF ( the name of the image if you want SBX to do the images organisations must be like this form

[the base name of the image generated by SBX]_W.TIF

Blend mask :
blend mask is that you remove parts you don't want them to be in the sim
or to make soft edges

so same thing as water
Black is parts not to be compiled
White is parts that will be shown

and when you save as tif make the file name like this form : [the base name of the image generated by SBX]_B.TIF

and Now put everything in the base image folder
and in sbx click on compile ( a right green arrow button Up in the screen )
and Voila!

let it compile and just place the bgl in the scenery folder
if you want to make Night map and seasons Just ask again and i'll help :)

a link to learn more about blend and water mask (scroll up a bit )

Hello Red,
I followed your instructions (at least I tried to do so), but when I ran SBX compiler I got a message which says that it can't be done because there is nothing to compile (see the attached image).
In fact, apart the base image, there is nothing else, because I just need the textures coming out from the base image.
If you want, I can send you the base BMP image, the 2 TIFs and the coordinates TXT.
If you are available, just send me a private message with your email address and I'll share all via cloud transfer.
Thanks!

Attachments

• RED.jpg
    RED.jpg
    234.2 KB · Views: 198
Country
france
Hello Red,
I followed your instructions (at least I tried to do so), but when I ran SBX compiler I got a message which says that it can't be done because there is nothing to compile (see the attached image).
In fact, apart the base image, there is nothing else, because I just need the textures coming out from the base image.
If you want, I can send you the base BMP image, the 2 TIFs and the coordinates TXT.
If you are available, just send me a private message with your email address and I'll share all via cloud transfer.
Thanks!

hey
first i have to ask a question : did you download an image ? because you need to download then compile (you can't compile the background)
second if you downloaded an image ( in the same project of sbx ) you need to select it before compile
so there is a menu caled select go and select all images an then compile and the compiled file should be in a work folder or something like that i don't remember exacetlly

Try this
and can you send me just a screenshot of the masks
just a screenshot cus the mask themselves take a lot of size and internet speed :)

Man I'm in trouble!

I downloaded the ground BMP image through SBuilderX.

SBuilderX as you know gets current/today images, but I wanted to get a portion of the airport dated back to 2009.
So I reworked the downloaded image.
I have the BMP image and its TXT file for the positioning.

I created the 2 TIF as per your instruction.

In SBX I opened a new project.
Using ADD MAP from disk I loaded the 3 images (1 BMP + 2 TIF).
I selected ALL MAPS
I start the COMPILE (see attachment).

The program finishes in a while and the only thing I getin the WORK folder is the INF file attached (renamed as .TXT to upload).

I supposed to get several BMP files.... to be put in the Texture folder of the airport.

Thanks!

Attachments

• RED.jpg
    RED.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 171
  • Photo02.txt
    478 bytes · Views: 226

GHD

Country
england
I supposed to get several BMP files.... to be put in the Texture folder of the airport.

DestFileType = BGL

No, yhou should get a bgl file to go in the scenery folder of the airport.

Country
france
Man I'm in trouble!

SBuilderX as you know gets current/today images, but I wanted to get a portion of the airport dated back to 2009.

I selected ALL MAPS

The program finishes in a while and the only thing I getin the WORK folder is the INF file attached (renamed as .TXT to upload).

Thanks!

Just a quick correction
you don't need to load the two TIF it's for SBX to auto detect them when compiling

Country
france
Man I'm in trouble!

I selected ALL MAPS

Thanks!
i'll prepare a short document for you to understand what i all said i'll repost it when done

Well, I succeeded.
The problem was my rework on the original BMP created by SBX.
SBX didn't compile because it found the image header corrupted.

Going back to your proposal RED (if you want to make Night map and seasons Just ask again and i'll help), please let me know for seasons.
Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Country
france
Well, I succeeded.
The problem was my rework on the original BMP created by SBX.
SBX didn't compile because it found the image header corrupted.

Going back to your proposal RED (if you want to make Night map and seasons Just ask again and i'll help), please let me know for seasons.
Thanks!

Even if you asked for seasons only , i'll tell you about the night cus without it :(
test it yourself you'll know what i mean by that imoji
so for night if you don't want to spend time on it , just make a great big black map with same resolution of your map

Seasons:
well it's not defined as seasons but as months
but SBX ( to make it easy ) has grouped some months and made the terme of seasons
so when you put the map in sbx select it and right click on it ( or on its edge ) andgo to the seond tab and you will find <here to set seasons maps

how to creat them : well i never made good seasons maps but it haas relation with color matching with default / ftx global seasons textures
if you can color math them you can make great seasons maps
For winter with snow just take a white brush and lower the oppacity and take your time doing your art

hope i helped and i'm always here if you need me :)