• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Photoscenery blended at coast suppresses 3D waves

Country
unitedkingdom
I'm using some photoscenery blended into sea water at the coast. I have water set to Ultra and a high wind speed. Offshore I get big waves, but they abruptly stop at what appears to be the edge of the blended photoscenery. In other words the photoscenery appears to suppresses the 3D waves. Does this happen to other people? Is it a bug in P3D? Does anyone know of a work-around?

Country
unitedstates
It's not a bug. If the photoreal scenery is a 3rd party add-on the developer may may have surpressed the waves on purpose. That's if we are talking about the shoreline waves. If you are talking about waves or motion of the water, that will eventually be suppressed as well as it blends into the shoreline.

HolgerSandmann

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Hi there,

are you using a watermask or just a blendmask? Only watermasked areas will have the same properties as generic P3D water though I haven't tested myself whether the 3D aspects of P3D water will display on watermasked photoreal areas.

Cheers, Holger

Country
us-illinois
Although I don't yet have P3D to test, I was intrigued by this question as well. :confused:

IIUC, we are NOT discussing the "wave" Effect (Fx) from CVX vector poly-lines, but rather, the 'animated' water ...which is rendered in FSX via:

[FSX install path]\livingwater.dll

...and I presume now via a 'different' DLL within P3D, to produce the variable types of animated wave activity we do not see in FSX ? :scratchch

If we attach a water platform to an AttachPoint on a flat 3D MDL surface in P3D, do we now also get the variable types of 'animated' wave activity we do not see in FSX water ?

GaryGB

Last edited:
Country
unitedkingdom
Many thanks for the replies.

I'm specifically talking about 3D waves here, i.e. the animated ones only visible when Ultra water settings are used and which change according to wind speed and bathymetry (when the latter is enabled). What I'm definitely not talking about here are legacy 2D effects.

Last edited:

HolgerSandmann

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Hi there,

I assumed you were talking about those 3D waves but you didn't answer my question about the watermask...

Cheers, Holger

Country
unitedkingdom
Soooo, the scenery uses both watermask and blendmask. To my mind, and in my reading of the SDK, P3D should allow these to work together and the 3D wave animation (which LM term swell in their SDK) as well as all other features of the water should work just fine. So, what could the problem be?

Country
unitedkingdom
Here is a shot to illustrate. It is nowhere near as evident as when actually flying (a video would do it more justice).

31729528305_7a46f3a2f7_c.jpg

To help I've crudely annotated the boundary below. On the right the swell is 3D animated. On the left everything is strictly 2D. It appears to correspond with the edge of the blended photoscenery.

31729528135_e09fc305f8_c.jpg