• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

PicRights Image Copyright Infringements

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
I am writing this post since today I received an infringement notice from a company called PicRights. Ostensibly they are retained by image libraries and others such as Reuters and PA Images to track down use of copyright images without permission or a license to use the image. It seems they are a legal outfit but they makes a living by finding violations and demanding payment to clear the infringement which enriches them far more that is reasonable and far more than the owner of the image would likely expect.

I am posting this as a warning or reminder to take care on using images from the internet. Many of us have our own web sites and may have added images to them. It seems PicRights will trawl any site type or pages. Their approach appears to be aggressive and threatening in pursuing the claim

To be accurate they identified an image owned by PA images used on my ADE website, So in that sense I have infringed copyright by using this image. I found it and determined that a license for five years use came to around £200 plus taxes. Their claimed charge for the infringement is over £500 plus taxes and it appears that the difference is more likely to enrich PicRights than PA Images.

Of course I need to repeat that I am not a lawyer nor do we allow the provision of legal advice in any form on this site. Copyright laws vary depending on jurisdiction.

Just be aware

BTW there are other organizations with similar business models

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
You know, I bet if they were required to prove damages, which would happen in virtually any dispute, they'd drop it. Just a guess of course, don't sue me. Something to look into.

Ronald

Resource contributor
Of course I need to repeat that I am not a lawyer nor do we allow the provision of legal advice in any form on this site. Copyright laws vary depending on jurisdiction.
1 - From what I've observed myself the last decade(s) online, There is a much bigger agenda behind this, start thinking along the lines of patent-troll claims and like-wise practices
-https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patent_troll
-https://www.investopedia.com/terms/p/patent-troll.asp
"Copy-right" is just a so called "legal' means-to-a-much-bigger-end... Get yourself informed

2 - TIP1: Do a deep-background-dive into what "PicRight" really IS (and who benefits from it by attacking your business through it)
-https://heitnerlegal.com/2021/07/31...-picrights-copyright-unlicensed-image-letter/
-https://shannonrawlins2000.medium.c...-cases-of-copyright-infringement-a169685eede6
-https://culture-fx.com/picrights-higbee-and-associates-extortion-scam-reviews/

3 - TIP2: For a //rootcause, systemic "work-around:
Learn to see "PicWrong" as a massive stimulation for everyone to get more inspirational and (learn how to) make their own sketches and illustrations again to promote their own native work.

That way companies like "PicRights" and other scammers will be put of of their business for good, by design and default ;-).

DragonflightDesign

Resource contributor
Country
northernireland
Ah yes. Higbee & Associates. Also spelt b-o-t-t-o-m d-w-e-l-l-i-n-g s-c-u-m for the number of people they have driven to suicide in the US for sums as low as $50. It's a name I trip over time and again in the tech sector, strangely enough.

Can't see that the UK lawyers are going to be any better.

As for free-to-use pictures getting copyrights slapped on them, please allow me to quote from the manual I wrote for the PILOT'S B-314:

"One of the bigger frustrations has been trying to run down the original attributions for many of the photographs available on the internet. It’s not helped by some of the bigger stock image houses claiming copyright on pictures they can’t possibly own (some examples: I found both Alamy and Getty Images claiming copyright on the same cropped image whereas the uncropped version clearly had ‘Boeing’ written on it; I found a British War Department image being claimed by both AirTeamImages and RAeS FotoStock; I found a Pan American Airways System timetable from 1939 being claimed by FotoStock and finally, Getty Images (now Visual China) claiming copyright on a photograph from the March 1939 issue of the B-314 flight operations manual. There are many others). The best ones however, were Boeing themselves claiming copyright on Pan American Airways System pictures..!"

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
FYI, I get a certificate error for the ADE website:
This is because Microsoft charges a fee for a security certificate that guarantees security based solely on a web hosts ability to pay the fee.