• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

pilot, passengers and crew

I've seen that Hype (HPG) have been cause for some really huge numbers of repaints from many diverse repainters. I have discovered their Blender based paintkit and am impressed (almost). But what I don't yet understand is how are repainters able to create liveries for the people on board? I can see some gltf models in the AP version of the H145, but these don't open in the Blender import.

I have seen textures for pilot and crews and these are obviously repainted directly on a 3D Model. You can see the epaulettes and insignia are split into separate pieces in the dds and the fabric texture shows - take a look at the Welsh air ambulance for an obvious example: you can see the Welsh flag and air ambulance logos. This prove that it can be done. Is there some "black magic" at play here? Is there a different software?
As ever, I'll be grateful for hints.

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
Hi! Simulator objects are composed of physical models and textures. Textures are simply photographic style representations of detail the physical model does not contain. For example, the physical model will have a fuselage and a wing, the texture places a picture of the Welsh flag on the wing. I hope you see how easy it would be to find the texture of the "wing Welsh flag" and repaint that flag to represent any nationality or organization.

Once one has located all proprietary textures, it is simply a matter of structuring the directory of the repaint, such that the repaint version of the SimObject, calls only your new textures and not the original. A "paint kit" provides a pre assembled template for the replacement textures and does not necessarily include the detail of every possible uniform, as it is intended for people that do not understand file structure, sim development, or necromancy.

It's no more black magic, then starting your car every morning.

Sorry. you misunderstood. I am a dab hand at repainting (if I do say so myself) and have been able to understand and use the weirdest of paintkit layouts and formats. As far as the HYPE Airbus H145 goes, they give you a Blender 3D model (and a couple of others) to create your repaints on but their flat 2D textures do have a major flaw in that the left and right side of the tailboom are extracted to the texture sheets with different sizes and orientations which make editing logos etc. on the 2D images a "right pain". Bad mapping at its best ;) and leaves the painter forced to use Blender "Stencil" brushes - a function that Blender makes difficult when you try to align left and right.

There are definitely gltf models for Crew and EMS interior. See the folder F:\msfs\Community\hpg-airbus-h145-ap\Simobjects\Airplanes\hpg-airbus-h145-crew\model\H145_Human.gltf - there's also an F:\msfs\Community\hpg-airbus-h145-ap\Simobjects\Airplanes\hpg-airbus-h145-ems\model\H145_Interior.gltf which may also have the medical crew...

There are more than a few third party textures on flightsim.to that prove the point. If you look at the file structure, it is easy enough to identify textures like H145_PILOTS_SUIT_ALBEDO.PNG.DDS nad H145_HEMS_HUMAN_CLOTHES_ALBEDO.PNG.DDS

Comparing those third party textures to the Hype originals it looks reasonably clear that repainters appear to painted their own pilot and crew clothes using a 3D model to paint on and then extract these to "flat 2D" textures because they have managed to use the AO and dirt layers to enhance the textures.
So to repeat my question another way: how can one open one of those gltf / obj / fbx or mtl files in a 3D editor like Blender?

...or are those third party repainters actually on the HPG staff and have access to more than us average folk?

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
You are making it too complicated. "HPG" is a developer, that works with other developers. One member of the group, made the paint kit, probably the lead modeler. They don't even _sell_ the thing, how, or why would they have a staff? The texture mappings are already fixed. You can use a 3d model to create an entirely new set of textures, but those textures will be mapped to your model and not the one everyone else uses and yes, you could include your edited model, but that is a bit more than a repaint.

That said, the "real estate" is established, so to speak. A program like MCX is usually good enough to see where your edit lies on the actual model, but ultimately it is going to entail some trial and error, if you are going beyond simply replacing a flag or insignia.

I guess what you are trying to do is export the glTF as Collada from MCX, so you can do the same thing in the interface you are familiar with, Blender. See, I don't know, does Blender do texture editing? I don't think so. I edit all my textures in Photoshop, so it is always trial and error. I don't know a 3d program that has on-the-fly texture editing, Sketchup is close.

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
Blender can do texture editing, but you need the original model and UVMap(s). This of course defeats the purpose of "paint kits" for aircraft.

If the original developer of any aircraft doesn't give or had created a paint kit for their aircraft - you are basically on your own. Unless, of course, you can convince them, the developer, to create a paint kit. A developer has every right to protect their investment.

Last edited:

Ronald

Resource contributor
See, I don't know, does Blender do texture editing? I don't think so.
1 - I guess you need to "think again". Here's a nice (Blender v2.8) examples to get you started with it:

Grant Abbot has an entire series on texture painting over here:

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
I guess you need to "think again". Here's a nice (Blender v2.8) examples to get you started with it:

Why would I need to think again, I'm perfectly fine with the software I use. I'm watching my own tedious videos about it, don't need to add an hour long one about Blender to the list.

Maybe you need to read the thread again. The OP wants to edit a texture, or create one for a UV mapping that he does not have access to. Tell us please, where in any of the three videos, does it show how to take a pre existing texture, mapped to a mesh you do not have and edit it to your liking? Because I only see each artist taking pre existing textures and mapping them to meshes. Maybe I'm mistaken.

As to exporting the Collada from MCX, I can't find any crew models in the latest version of the HPG H-135 and I can't find a Welsh AIr Ambulance livery, so I couldn't advise how to proceed.

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
The OP wants to edit a texture, or create one for a UV mapping that he does not have access to. Tell us please, where in any of the three videos, does it show how to take a pre existing texture, mapped to a mesh you do not have and edit it to your liking? Because I only see each artist taking pre existing textures and mapping them to meshes. Maybe I'm mistaken.
Rick, you are not mistaken about the videos or what the OP wants to do. :)