• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Piper Cub template, side stalling, tune it out

Country
us-arizona
Hey all,

I am using the Piper Cub FM and added flaps. My plane is a STOL aircraft. However with Performance take offs, she looks a wing, usually to the left. And it'ss severe.

Any ideas how to tune that out?

Bill

Roy Holmes

Resource contributor
Country
us-virginia
Bill,
It all depends on your speed when it happens and what you mean by “she looks a wing”. Is there any yaw involved, can you keep it straight with rudder?
It could be in the FM, I would need to see both the air file and aircraft.cfg to sort it out sensibly
Roy

Country
us-arizona
Sorry about that Roy. It was late at night. I meant to say that one of her wings dips, stalls out, usually to the left. She does yaw to the left also just before she goes 'catastrophic'.

I ended up changing out the FM's with my Tailwind tricycle gear plane. Its about the same mass and weight and has the exact type of flight reactions I am looking for. Just dirtied it up to fly slower and have some more lift.

The Cub has a radically different FM, I think, them most planes. So different. She feels like she pivots above the pilots head. Strange effect, but probably dead-on to the real plane.

Bill

Roy Holmes

Resource contributor
Country
us-virginia
Bill,
I flew a Piper Cub as a teenager. It was probably a Super Cub since it had flaps. It flew really well like a good basic trainer should and my check flight was one circuit and landing. If your Cub flies like a dog, it’s no Cub, it’s a dog.
Roy

Country
us-arizona
Hey Roy,

Roger that. Its the stock FSX Cub. Ive never flown the real thing, so I cant say.

Bill

Roy Holmes

Resource contributor
Country
us-virginia
Bill,
It is a dog. Almost uncontrollable on take-off. Not bad after you get off (If you do not ground loop before that)
I'll see if I can tame it somewhat
Roy

Country
us-arizona
Dont worry man. I am on a totally new template, one I worked hard on long ago and adapted to this already. All is well.

The Super Cub is so far different (I would think) then the original ole classic Cub. Such a different plane. You flew it from the back seat, and your gauges were in the front seat. Crazy design, and its handling is very odd. Reminds me of a pendulum, the articulation from the CG point under the wings, it swings around. I imagine their tables cause this, as its very peculiar and possibly very similar to the real thing.