Placing fences into FS...

Hi arno / nick,

When I create a fence in GMAX and want to export it to FS, is there an easier way to export instead of doing it one by one?

Cheers! :)

Daryl

nickw

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Daryl,

If you want, instead of placing one by one, you can line them all up in GMAX, then export as "one large fence". Get me? :cool:

Yeah, thought of that...but there is no other ways of doing so no?

Also, while Im asking, if you attach parts together that have textures, will the textures get mixed up again, or will it stay the same?

Cheers Nick! :D

Daryl

rhumbaflappy

Staff member
Resource contributor
Hi Dayrl.

If the fence sections are in FS9 object format, you should be able to place them into one BGL with Bias offsetting in the XML code.

The Biasing is an offet in meters, so if a fence section is 3 meters in length, you should be able to place them 3 meters apart without a lot of fussing.

I've never done it, but it should be possible.

Dick

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Good idea Dick, that should work. I did some tests with the BiasXYZ command and library objects and it all seemed to work fine. So I think fences would be a good application of this technique.

When I made fences for my scenery I'd use one long plane and apply the texture to it as long as I created the texture to be able to repeat itself. To make an curved fence I'd just use a plane that would have many faces and "bend" as necessary.

You may be able to see how I split the end poles in half, near the edges, so I could repeat this texture. I figured out the I needed at least a 4.5m x 2m plane to render one "section" of fence or 9m x 2m to use the full texture.

Since this fence section is 85.5m long and every 9m would require I use one width of my texture, I "stretched" my UVW's U-value to 9.5 to create a non-stretched look. So to make a single section of fence, you'd set the U-value to .5

The planes are double-sides (DS_fence) and use a transparency mask. I hope I didn't confuse you.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
khaos_56k said:
Since this fence section is 85.5m long and every 9m would require I use one width of my texture, I "stretched" my UVW's U-value to 9.5 to create a non-stretched look. So to make a single section of fence, you'd set the U-value to .5
Small note, I prefer to use the UVW Mapping and not the Unwrap as shown in the picture when I want to repeat a texture. It is just very easy to type in the figures of how much you want them to be repeated.

How did you manage to get the correct shape in GMax btw? It looks rather hard to me to let it correspond with the shape of your grass polygon without a lot of trial and error.

Arno... as you may've noticed from many of my previous posts... I'm the "brute force" kind of designer (notice my icon?) and usually take the hardest route until I know of an easier way. I created this fence almost two years ago before I ever knew of your work, websites, and my skills were still very "green". You are correct about a lot of trial and error to position the fence... section by section, rotation by rotation... BTW, I've always used UVW Mapping and Unwrap UVW together... I'm unsure of how I'd control the vertical limits of my desired texture use but I see where to enter the number of times to repeat the texture.

Daryl... sorry if my directions are confusing. I can explain them better if you're unable to figure them out.