• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Placing fences into FS...

Country
unitedkingdom
Hi arno / nick,

When I create a fence in GMAX and want to export it to FS, is there an easier way to export instead of doing it one by one?

Cheers! :)

Daryl

nickw

Administrator
Staff member
Country
ireland
Hi Daryl,

If you want, instead of placing one by one, you can line them all up in GMAX, then export as "one large fence". Get me? :cool:

Country
unitedkingdom
Yeah, thought of that...but there is no other ways of doing so no?

Also, while Im asking, if you attach parts together that have textures, will the textures get mixed up again, or will it stay the same?

Cheers Nick! :D

Daryl

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
Hi Dayrl.

If the fence sections are in FS9 object format, you should be able to place them into one BGL with Bias offsetting in the XML code.

The Biasing is an offet in meters, so if a fence section is 3 meters in length, you should be able to place them 3 meters apart without a lot of fussing.

I've never done it, but it should be possible.

Dick

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Good idea Dick, that should work. I did some tests with the BiasXYZ command and library objects and it all seemed to work fine. So I think fences would be a good application of this technique.

Country
us-maryland
When I made fences for my scenery I'd use one long plane and apply the texture to it as long as I created the texture to be able to repeat itself. To make an curved fence I'd just use a plane that would have many faces and "bend" as necessary.

fence_texture.jpg

You may be able to see how I split the end poles in half, near the edges, so I could repeat this texture. I figured out the I needed at least a 4.5m x 2m plane to render one "section" of fence or 9m x 2m to use the full texture.

fence_in_gmax.jpg

Since this fence section is 85.5m long and every 9m would require I use one width of my texture, I "stretched" my UVW's U-value to 9.5 to create a non-stretched look. So to make a single section of fence, you'd set the U-value to .5

The planes are double-sides (DS_fence) and use a transparency mask. I hope I didn't confuse you.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
khaos_56k said:
Since this fence section is 85.5m long and every 9m would require I use one width of my texture, I "stretched" my UVW's U-value to 9.5 to create a non-stretched look. So to make a single section of fence, you'd set the U-value to .5

Small note, I prefer to use the UVW Mapping and not the Unwrap as shown in the picture when I want to repeat a texture. It is just very easy to type in the figures of how much you want them to be repeated.

How did you manage to get the correct shape in GMax btw? It looks rather hard to me to let it correspond with the shape of your grass polygon without a lot of trial and error.

Country
us-maryland
Arno... as you may've noticed from many of my previous posts... I'm the "brute force" kind of designer (notice my icon?) and usually take the hardest route until I know of an easier way. I created this fence almost two years ago before I ever knew of your work, websites, and my skills were still very "green". You are correct about a lot of trial and error to position the fence... section by section, rotation by rotation... BTW, I've always used UVW Mapping and Unwrap UVW together... I'm unsure of how I'd control the vertical limits of my desired texture use but I see where to enter the number of times to repeat the texture.

Daryl... sorry if my directions are confusing. I can explain them better if you're unable to figure them out.