• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Placing Scenery Objects in FS in Surrounding Locations

Hi Gary,

I just realized that I placed the Baptist Montclair model project in an addon scenery I purchased called KBHM by SXAD, which is the new Birmingham Shuttlesworth Airport. I don't know why I place it there but I think I need to place this project, and all my other projects, in a separate folder to keep everything organized. Sure, it works fine in that folder. But I think all my projects need to be placed in a separate folder, and not in any of the addon sceneries that I've purchased. The main thing is that they would be more organized and in their separate folders. Since I'm creating models, such as malls, shopping centers and other buildings around the Birmingham area, I'm debating rather to make a folder for each project or make just one folder for all of my projects. Personally, I think it's best to create just one folder, naming it something like, Birmingham Scenery, and place all of my bgl projects there. There is also a folder called Addon Scenery in FSX. What do you think about this way of placing my projects? Should I place my projects in the root directly of FSX or should I place them in the Addon Scenery folder? At one time, I thought the Addon Scenery folder was for AFCAD files only. But I noticed there was a scenery folder in that Addon Folder named Jacksonville International, and it has both subfolders, a Scenery and Texture.

Ken.

Last edited:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

If all your objects are for the same area, I think it makes sense to put them all in one scenery folder. Making separate folders for each object will clutter things too much I think.

Where you put your scenery folder on disk is your own choice, it doesn't even have to be within the FSX folder itself, it can be elsewhere as well.

Country
us-illinois
I agree with Arno's practical observations stated above. :teacher:

I also believe it is NOT a good idea to add any custom scenery to folders of 3rd party add-on scenery packages. :alert:

Additionally, it is best to only keep a minimal number of scenery files in the Addon Scenery\Scenery sub-folder. ;)

Any group of files pertinent to a particular scenery project should be consolidated in a dedicated folder chain, and then added as a new Area in FS Scenery Library GUI and/or via the P3D Add-on XML method.

Regarding whether to create a scenery project folder chain under the Addon Scenery top-folder, technically this puts files at risk for irretrievable deletion if a more drastic un-install method is used to replace an existing FS folder chain.

While the built-in 'default' un-installation routine for all versions of MSFS only removes FS default files, but leaves custom files intact in any sub-folder located in the folder chain under the FS main (root) top-folder, newer Windows and 3rd party un-install routines may completely delete all files / folders within / under that FS main (root) top-folder.

Thus some end users of FS and other programs purposely 'play-it-safe' by installing / locating ALL custom content outside the FS main (root) top-folder and its nested sub-folder chain.

BTW: This is the new recommended procedure of LM for add-on content intended to be added to P3D in order to:

* Prevent loss of end user custom content in the event of a more drastic deletion of the entire P3D nested folder chain

...and:

* Allow developer-specified Area layering / rendering priority to be configured with 'less mess' in Scenery Library GUI.

GaryGB

Last edited:
Hi, If all your objects are for the same area, I think it makes sense to put them all in one scenery folder. Making separate folders for each object will clutter things too much I think.

Hi Arno,
Yes, that's what I was thinking.

Where you put your scenery folder on disk is your own choice, it doesn't even have to be within the FSX folder itself, it can be elsewhere as well.

I think so too. That's how Lockheed Martin does it. I think this is a good idea because if you have to uninstall the simulator, you risk losing your addons and go through all the trouble of uninstalling and reinstalled the addons. But it's strange to me how the sim knows that the scenery is installed and adds it to the Scenery library being installed outside the sim.

Ken.

Last edited:
I also believe it is NOT a good idea to add any custom scenery to folders of 3rd party add-on scenery packages. :alert:

That's what I did when I installed my object into that 3rd party addon. I must have been half asleep that night, but I removed it and placed it in a separate folder.

Additionally, it is best to only keep a minimal number of scenery files in the Addon Scenery\Scenery sub-folder. ;)

I have a few AFCAD bgls and CVX vector files in the Addon Scenery/scenery folder. Is that okay to place them there or should they be in their own custom folders?

Any group of files pertinent to a particular scenery project should be consolidated in a dedicated folder chain, and then added as a new Area in FS Scenery Library GUI and/or via the P3D Add-on XML method.

That's what I'm thinking and I'll always keep that in mind.

Regarding whether to create a scenery project folder chain under the Addon Scenery top-folder, technically this puts files at risk for irretrievable deletion if a more drastic un-install method is used to replace an existing FS folder chain.

I think what you're saying is that if one does a full uninstall of FS and does a full reinstall, you'll lose those files that were placed in the Addon Scenery folder, or does these remain intact? For example, if I had a custom scenery in the addon scenery folder and uninstalled the sim and do a full reinstall, will I lose that custom addon or does it remain intact? I think that's why I hear some recommend installing sceneries outside the sim so that you want lose them and you won't have to re-install them. But I assume you would still have do add it to the scenery library after the sim is installed. Do I have that correct?

And BTW, when a custom scenery is placed outside the sim, rather it be FSX or P3D, how does the sim know that a scenery was installed into the sim when the folders were placed outside the sim?

While the built-in 'default' un-installation routine for all versions of MSFS only removes FS default files, but leaves custom files intact in any sub-folder located in the folder chain under the FS main (root) top-folder, newer Windows and 3rd party un-install routines may completely delete all files / folders within / under that FS main (root) top-folder.

This is why I always thought that when you do a full uninstall and reinstall of FS, you should uninstall all your custom and 3rd party addons and reinstall them. I'm not sure if that is necessary but that's what I've always done.

Thus some end users of FS and other programs purposely 'play-it-safe' by installing / locating ALL custom content outside the FS main (root) top-folder and its nested sub-folder chain.

In other words, some users would place their scenery addon outside the FS, maybe installing them in a custom folder on the C: drive. When this is done, does that prevent from having to re-install the sceneries if one has to uninstall FS and do a full reinstall? Just wanted to be sure I understand you correctly.

Ken.

Last edited:
Country
us-illinois
Hi Ken:

Perhaps the best general answer to your latter questions above is to 'play-it-safe' by:

* Reading documentation for all add-ons before installing them

* Using built-in installers with 'custom' locations only if such installers 'allow' the option to change target path info

* Installing / locating ALL custom content outside FS' main (root) top-folder / its nested sub-folder chain if 'allowed'

* Keeping (2+) archived backups of add-on installers / custom content / source data ...on "offline" drives (powered off)

* Uninstalling all custom and 3rd party add-ons and reinstalling them when it is necessary to re-install FS itself.

NOTE: Do not attempt to "re-use" an add-on from an old re-named FS installation folder chain ...in a new FS install.

* Keeping nothing more than a few temporary "test" files in the Addon Scenery\Scenery sub-folder

* Consolidating any group of custom files pertinent to a particular scenery project in a dedicated folder chain, added as a new Area in FS Scenery Library GUI and/or via the P3D Add-on XML method.

While there are exceptions to these general guidelines that an advanced FS user may be aware of, this is a 'safer' plan.

A discussion of all permutations / possibilities for such exceptions is not something I presently have time for. ;)

GaryGB