FSX Please Help: SimConnect.dll Connection Problem

I am attempting to start writing my own SimConnect AddOns. I believe I have successfully installed both FSX SP1 and the FSX SDK SP1a on my MacBookPro running Windows XP SP3. (As I have very little room left on my internal hard drive, I installed these items to an external drive, known as E:.)

I am unable to get FSX to launch my AddOn successfully. This first AddOn, which is compiled with Visual C++ 2005, is merely a renaming of the "Open and Close" sample included in the SDK. The output to the console created by my use of the simconnect.ini file, shows that the three standard DLL's load correctly, yet neither my .exe AddOn, nor the .exe provided with the sample are able to load. Here is the console output:

0.00000 SimConnect version 10.0.61242.0

3.37134 Exe Launch Failed: GetLastError=0x000036B1 Path="..\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Core Utilities Kit\SimConnect SDK\Samples\Open and Close\Open and Close.exe" CommandLine=""

4.47072 Exe Launch Failed: GetLastError=0x000036B1 Path="E:\FSX\Software\AddOns\Hi\Debug\Hi.exe" CommandLine=""
4.61211 DLL Loaded: Path="..\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Mission Creation Kit\object_placement.dll" Version="10.0.61355.0"
4.62120 DLL Loaded: Path="..\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\Traffic Toolbox SDK\traffictoolbox.dll" Version="10.0.61355.0"
4.62903 DLL Loaded: Path="..\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\Special Effects SDK\visualfxtool.dll" Version="10.0.61355.0"

Interestingly enough, the report from ADE9x Environment Checker seems to indicate that SimConnect isn't installed:

*************************************************************************************************
Date of Report: 2/23/2011 9:24:07 AM
Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Professional
OS Service Pack: Service Pack 3 (3.0)
OS Version: 5.1.2600 (32 Bit)
OS Language: English (United States) => separator: '.'
Nodename: MIKETMACBOOKPRO
ADE installed: no
ADE Path: ADE not found
ADE Install Version: n/a
ADE File Version: n/a
ADE Info: n/a
FXS installed: yes
FSX Path: E:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\
FSX Version: 10.0.61355.0 (fsx-sp1.20070510-2038)
FSX Trailing '\' Error: False
FX9 installed: no
FS9 Path: n/a
FS9 Version: n/a
FS9 Trailing '\' Error: False
RTM Simconnect: no
SP1 Simconnect: no
SP2 Simconnect: no
FSX SDK installed: yes
FSX SDK Path: E:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\
FSX SDK Trailing '\' Error: False
BGLComp Version: 10.0.61355.0 (fsx-sp1.20070510-2038)
BGLComp >= SP1: yes
Shp2Vec found: yes
.NET 1.1 installed: yes
.NET 2.0 installed: yes
.NET 3.0 installed: yes
.NET 3.5 installed: yes
XML3 installed: yes
XML4 installed: yes
XML5 installed: yes
XML6 installed: yes
FSUIPC/FS9 installed: n/a
FSUIPC/FSX installed: not installed
Connected to FS9 ok: no
Connected to FSX ok: no
(Please Note: FSX was not running when I generated the report.)

So, maybe I don't have simConnect installed correctly?

My first attempt to correct this problem was to run the SimConnect.msi file I found in the SDK at E:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Core Utilities Kit\SimConnect SDK\lib, which is also the location that I directed Visual Studio 2005 to look for the .lib file. The manifest information embedded into my .exe follows:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>
<assembly xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" manifestVersion="1.0">
<dependency>
<dependentAssembly>
<assemblyIdentity type="win32" name="Microsoft.VC80.DebugCRT" version="8.0.50727.4053" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b"></assemblyIdentity>
</dependentAssembly>
</dependency>
<dependency>
<dependentAssembly>
<assemblyIdentity type="win32" name="Microsoft.FlightSimulator.SimConnect " version="10.0.61242.0" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="67c7c14424d61b5b"></assemblyIdentity>
</dependentAssembly>
</dependency>
</assembly>

As I usually program in Visual C++ 6.0, the concepts of .NET assemblies and manifest files are still somewhat foreign to me; therefore, I could easily be making some simple mistake. I really hope this is the case.

I would really appreciate any help that anyone can provide, so i can get on with writing some real AddOns.

Thanks in advance.
(Note: due to a prior commitment, I will be offline until approximately 1:30PM PST today, 02/23/2011.)

Problem Solved! (or, at least, worked around)

The problem I was having was caused by a confluence of two conditions:

1. Installation of FSX and the SDK on a drive other than the system drive, and
2. Severe lack of space (< 500 MB) on the system drive.

I "solved" the problem by installing FSX and the SDK on a desktop machine that had > 130 GB of space on C:, its one and only drive.

So, I can develop on my MacBookPro, but I must test on this desktop machine.