• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Prepar3D v4.4 PBR materials

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
I know I haven’t posted on this blog for a while, but it’s time for an announcement that needs to be here on this blog as well.

The development release of ModelConverterX does include support for the new Prepar3D v4.4 PBR materials. This means that MCX can now:

• Read the material settings from a P3D v4.4 MDL file
  • Write the material settings to a P3D v4.4 MDL/BGL file
  • View and edit the material settings in the material editor

The preview image of MCX does not use the PBR settings, so the preview is still as before. For a pure PBR material it will probably look a bit weird. That’s something for a future update.

In the material editor I have added a special material view filter that will show you only the PBR related attributes. See the screenshot below. If you want to make a PBR material make sure you set the ‘Is PBR material’ attribute to true, else MCX will export as a normal P3D material.

Another thing you need to be aware of is that MCX can not automatically distinguis between the P3D v4.4 and previous v4 SDKs. This means you might manually have to check if the XtoMDL and BGLComp path for both versions are still correct. You can see them in the options.

Let me know if I forgot anything needed for PBR or if you find other issues. It was quite some refactoring to add this, so I might have broken something else by accident.

pbr.jpg

Continue reading...

Country
moldova
@arno thank you for this awesome tool!
with this release i've encountered one problem (maybe i'm doing something wrong?)
please watch the video below to better understand

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi, the convert and place wizard doesn't support P3D v4.4 yet, it only uses the older SDK for the moment.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
I'll try to add it in the next days. The export scenery option in MCX does already support writing v4.4 bgl files.

Country
moldova
I'll try to add it in the next days.
sounds good ^^
The export scenery option in MCX does already support writing v4.4 bgl files.
i've already tried that, and it's not working for some reason
17:52 XReader Information Starting reading of file E:\Desktop\TestPBR\TestPBR.x
17:52 XReader Warning Unsupported X command OverrideBoundingBox
17:52 XReader Warning Unsupported X command OverrideRadius
17:52 XReader Warning Could not find linked animation for Box001
17:52 XReader Warning Could not find linked animation for Sphere001
17:52 XReader Information Finished reading objects
17:52 ObjectRenderer Information Starting generating OpenGL arrays...
17:52 ObjectRenderer Information Finished generating OpenGL arrays
17:52 ObjectRenderer Information Loaded texture: ..\texture\texturescom_castlegate_1k_albedo.dds
17:52 ObjectRenderer Information Loaded texture: ..\texture\texturescom_castlegate_1k_normal.dds
17:52 BGLXWriter Information Starting writing of file E:\Desktop\TestPBR\TestPBR.bgl
17:52 MDLXWriter Information Starting writing of file E:\Desktop\TestPBR\TestPBR_0.mdl
17:52 XWriter Information Starting writing of file E:\Desktop\TestPBR\tmpEF6F.x
17:52 XWriter Information Finished writing of file E:\Desktop\TestPBR\tmpEF6F.x
17:52 XtoMDL Information Found output file: E:\Desktop\TestPBR\TestPBR_0.mdl
17:52 XtoMDL Information OutputFile: E:\Desktop\TestPBR\TestPBR_0.mdl
17:52 XtoMDL Information Output file after modification: E:\Desktop\TestPBR\TestPBR_0.mdl
17:52 XtoMDL Information Creating output MDL file: E:\Desktop\TestPBR\TestPBR_0.mdl
17:52 XtoMDL Information CRASHTREE no granularity specified
17:52 XtoMDL Error (0): error :
17:52 XtoMDL Error (0): error : ----------------------------------------------------------------
17:52 XtoMDL Error (0): error : XToMdl.exe Unhandled Application Exception
17:52 XtoMDL Error (0): error : System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException
17:52 XtoMDL Error (0): error : Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.
17:52 XtoMDL Error (0): error : Parameter name: index
17:52 XtoMDL Error (0): error : ----------------------------------------------------------------
17:52 XtoMDL Error (0): error : Stack Trace:
17:52 XtoMDL Error (0): error : at System.Collections.ArrayList.get_Item(Int32 index)
17:52 XtoMDL Error (0): error : at Microsoft.FlightSimulator.XToXmlLib.LODBuckets.GetHighestGranularityBucket()
17:52 XtoMDL Error (0): error : at Microsoft.FlightSimulator.XToXmlLib.ModelProcessingContext.BuildCrashTree()
17:52 XtoMDL Error (0): error : at Microsoft.FlightSimulator.XToXmlLib.ModelProcessingContext.Optimize()
17:52 XtoMDL Error (0): error : at Microsoft.FlightSimulator.XToXmlLib.XToXmlLib.<GetFileProcessor>d__25.MoveNext()
17:52 XtoMDL Error (0): error : at Microsoft.FlightSimulator.XToXmlLib.FileExporter.OutputModels(IEnumerable ProcessedModels)
17:52 XtoMDL Error (0): error : at Microsoft.FlightSimulator.XToXmlLib.XToXmlLib.OutputModels(IEnumerable`1 processedModels)
17:52 XtoMDL Error (0): error : at Microsoft.FlightSimulator.XToXmlLib.XToXmlLib.Process(ModelFile[] InputFiles, Hashtable[] AnimationLinkage, String[] AnimationFileRef, XPartDict PartDictionary)
17:52 XtoMDL Error (0): error : at Microsoft.FlightSimulator.XToMDL.XToMDL.ProcessInputs()
17:52 XtoMDL Error (0): error : at Microsoft.FlightSimulator.XToMDL.XToMDL.RealMain(String[] args)
17:52 XtoMDL Error (0): error : at Microsoft.FlightSimulator.XToMDL.XToMDL.Main(String[] args)
17:52 MDLXWriter Information Finished writing of file E:\Desktop\TestPBR\TestPBR_0.mdl
17:52 XMLWriter Information Starting writing of file E:\Desktop\TestPBR\TestPBR.xml
17:52 XMLWriter Information Finished writing of file E:\Desktop\TestPBR\TestPBR.xml
17:52 BGLCommp Information Parsing document: TestPBR.xml
17:52 BGLCommp Information INTERNAL COMPILER ERROR: #C2014: Failed to load model data in file: E:\Desktop\TestPBR\TestPBR_0.mdl
17:52 BGLCommp Information INTERNAL COMPILER ERROR: #C2149: Failed to load model data! Does the file exist?
17:52 BGLCommp Information INTERNAL COMPILER ERROR: #C2340: Failed to finalize MODEL_DATA!
17:52 BGLCommp Information INTERNAL COMPILER ERROR: #C2032: XML Parse Error! Element tree follows:
17:52 BGLCommp Information ERROR: <FSData
17:52 BGLCommp Information ERROR: version = 9.0
17:52 BGLCommp Information ERROR: >
17:52 BGLCommp Information ERROR: <ModelData
17:52 BGLCommp Information ERROR: sourceFile = E:\Desktop\TestPBR\TestPBR_0.mdl
17:52 BGLCommp Information ERROR: >
17:52 BGLCommp Information ERROR:
17:52 BGLCommp Information INTERNAL COMPILER ERROR: #C2024: Failed to process closing element tag <ModelData> near line 4!
17:52 BGLCommp Information INTERNAL COMPILER ERROR: #C2607: Compilation errors detected, compilation failed!
17:52 BGLCommp Information Parse complete!
17:52 BGLXWriter Information Finished writing of file E:\Desktop\TestPBR\TestPBR.bgl

Country
israel
So its not so good at least for me
My system BSOD "INTERRUPT_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED" As i was running MCX!!!
Did a reinstall but still BSOD after 5 min.
never seen a bsod from this program
Can you check it please
BSOD appeared from the drive that MCX installed on!!!

My pc specs:
i7 4790k
16GB GSkill 1600Mhz
GTX 960 4 GB windforce
Z97X-Gaming 5 GA
Samsung 970 Evo 500 gb
2 X Samsung 850 evo gb
4TB seagate barracuda
750W seasonic PSU
Windows 7 Latest updates 64 bit ofc

WhoCrashed result here:

Attachments

• MCX crash.txt
    2 KB · Views: 375

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
I can't see much from that report, except that some Samsung driver failed. I doubt it's directly related to MCX.

Country
israel
Its the drive that MCX installed on and only MCX ran in the background BTW its not the C drive

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
To be honest I have no idea how MCX could cause something like this. In the latest release I didn't add anything weird, just extended some readers for the new P3D v4.4 options.

Maybe you can try to install MCX in another folder or so? Just to rule out it's placed on a faulty bit of diskspace or so now.

Country
israel
Maybe it happens because i run it on admin or it to do something wrong with my windows but i will see no worrys

Country
israel
Further looking into it Arno sorry its my new 970 evo doing this bsod randomly its not your fault and its not mine!
looks like the last power outage damaged the controller of the NVME drive.
ouch thats gonna cost me a lot probably :( :( :(

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Glad to hear you found out what causes it at least. Although never nice if components of the PC are failing :(

Country
israel
especially super expensive ones with all of your scenery files (mine) :(
its not jut the money its the files too

Country
russia
Hello Arno! I want to thank you for such a wonderful program MCX, which has become my indispensable assistant in the development! I can talk a lot about the positive qualities of your program, but I think that in this topic it would be better to talk about problems related to MCX.
And so, I have a question about the Ground Polygon Wizard. When I create ground runway polygons, I use the Ground Polygon Wizard, because it’s convenient to have layers in one file. But in the extreme version, for some reason I can’t get two layers in one file. Previously, this was not. Is this an unfinished test function or is it a feature of Prepar 4.4 itself?
Thanks in advance for the answer!
Снимок.jpg
Снимок1.jpg

Last edited:
Country
moldova
Hello Arno! I want to thank you for such a wonderful program MCX, which has become my indispensable assistant in the development! I can talk a lot about the positive qualities of your program, but I think that in this topic it would be better to talk about problems related to MCX.
And so, I have a question about the Ground Polygon Wizard. When I create ground runway polygons, I use the Ground Polygon Wizard, because it’s convenient to have layers in one file. But in the extreme version, for some reason I can’t get two layers in one file. Previously, this was not. Is this an unfinished test function or is it a feature of Prepar 4.4 itself?
Thanks in advance for the answer!

Rustam, how i know, in P3D you should use negative Z-BIAS (in your case betonka5 = -8 and betonka3_alfa = -12)

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

For PBR materials it seems they should be positive again if you read the SDK.

Let me check what goes on here. I assume you mean that after reading the file back the values are not correct.