• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS Prevent crossing runway from being used as exit.

Country
unitedstates
(1) In KSAV runways 1-19 and 10-28 cross at the center. I often have landing aircraft that depart 1-19 onto 10-28 and then stop and contact ground. Is there an easy way to stop this and have aircraft only depart onto taxiways without causing problems? Would removing the selected paths in the screenshot fix this or would it cause problems?

Screenshot (440).png

(2) Another issue is that ATC reading off taxiways sometimes is very hard to understand since it all runs together. Taxi via A1, A, A2 etc. is hard to understand when ATC reads it as A1AA2. Is there a way to add a little more time between what ATC reads? Would adding a space before or after the path name add a slight pause in game ATC? If not, is there any other way to accomplish that?

(3)Is there a way to make a taxiway preferred? The pic below shows North-South path A, along with East-West paths A1, A2 and A3. ATC often instructs paths like A, A2, A3 or A, A1, A2 to planes taxing to a gate on path A from the south of A1. This has the effect of having them use that little unnamed North-South Taxiway where I'd prefer they stay on A until their turn off (A, A3 and A, A2 respectfully). I don't want to get rid of that stock unnamed taxiway as it helps when there are two planes trying to maneuver in that area, I'd just like to make it less preferred to use that unnamed path instead so that most planes stay on A until there turn off on A2 or A3.

Screenshot (443).png

Last edited:
Country
unitedstates
The crossing runway paths can be eliminated per the following.
ksav.JPG

I don't think ADE can address the other questions.

Country
unitedstates
The way to handle the taxiway issue is either to remove the connections between A1-A2, A2-A3 (redraw lines manually) or to mark those connections as "Closed." If you remove the connections, you can leave partial branches connected to A2 and in the direction of A1 and A3, which will facilitate pushback turns before A.

Country
unitedstates
The way to handle the taxiway issue is either to remove the connections between A1-A2, A2-A3 (redraw lines manually) or to mark those connections as "Closed." If you remove the connections, you can leave partial branches connected to A2 and in the direction of A1 and A3, which will facilitate pushback turns before A.
I was thinking that I may need they for planes to avoid each other but I do not believe there's enough traffic at KSAV to warrant that so I just may remove them.

Edit: On second thought, I may leave them alone as planes that park along A1 use that path instead of going all the way over to A when they are coming from F. F-A3-across that path-A1 and vise versa when heading from a gate along A1 to F on there way to/from runway 10.

Last edited:
Country
unitedstates
The runway crossing fixed:

fixed-runways.png

fixed-runways-game.png

As for the ATC question, my thinking was MSFS ATC uses the path name to read the taxiway names when giving direction. My thinking was adding a space to those names would add a slight pause when ATC uses them. On further reflection, I don't know if that's the case. I would have to change taxi designators and all the hundreds of taxi paths to match and I doubt it would accomplish what I want in the end,

Last edited:
Country
unitedstates
The aircraft do not exit onto the crossing runway but I have an issue with them stalling at a certain node when turning off to head up towards the Gates. I think this problem was present before altering the runways crossing. This is for aircraft landing on runway 28. They get past the runway 1-19 crossing and start to depart but then stall there until they despawn. I can see that they jog over slightly to the right before stopping letting me know that they are trying to turn right there, but then they stop and stay put until they finally despawn. I've been all over these links and can't see where the problem is. They will make it to link 170>169 but not proceed to link 169>168. I've attached my project. Any ideas?

aircraft-stall.png

Attachments

• KSAV.zip
    3.2 MB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Country
unitedstates
Slight possibility might be proximity of the two nodes. Might be an error in some other link. More likely the distance between the last node connected to the runway link (where the aircraft leaves the runway) and the hold-short node is too far.

Running into these kinds of problems is usually what pushes people into not using taxi/vehicle/path links for lines or taxiway,... they start making taxiways with aprons and drawing all the lines with GP lines.

If it is the hold-short distance problem, you can move the hold-short closer to the runway. Or, you make a node which connects to the runway closer (vicinity of the two nodes where the aircraft stall), and make simpler links to the hold-short node -- all using no-line/no-light links. Thereafter another set of links to make the lines and lights, but mark these as closed.

Country
unitedstates
It just seems the more I work with this airport, the more that breaks. Those were the original KSAV links from the stock airport. Now some of the others along the runways are causing problems too. Just watched a couple do the same on 1-19.

Country
unitedstates
I've removed the four holdshorts from the runways themseleves where they cross in hopes that this fixes it. MSFS doesn't seem to want to cooperate since by only landing on 10 and 1 since last night. I think MSFS decides landings off of live weather no matter what weather you set in game. Setting weather manually will affect takeoffs, but seems to have no effect on what landing runways are used.

holds-gone.png

I will not be able to verify for sure until I can get MSFS to land RWY 28 and RWY 19, go past the runway intersections and then exit.

Country
unitedstates
Ah, I had not noticed that there were hold-shorts on runways. Yes, that can confuse the AI manager. And, besides, with no node connecting the two runways, they would have not effect anyway.

Absolutely guaranteed, AI will not change to a different path unless there is a node connecting to it.

Country
unitedstates
That was the problem. It took many many hours of watching AI at KSAV to finally have arrivals on 28 and confirm that planes exit correctly after having removed the hold shorts from the runway crossings. Rwy 1-19 is the ILS runway and AI tends to prefer it. It took a clear day with high winds from 280 to finally trigger them landing on 28. Watched several land 28 crossing 1-19 to then complete a turn off (instead of getting stuck) on the next taxiway and contact ground.

All this watching at KSAV while making thousands of small changes/fixes has taught me that MSFS AI is still in a terrible state. But I think I'm to the point that I'm about finished with KSAV for a while (corrected taxiways, fixed runways, removed taxi lights from runways and corrected them elsewhere, fixed taxi signs, improved vehicle routing, etc.). I think I may upload the update this weekend to flightsim.to