Preventing AI aircraft starting at a particular parking place

Hello
Firstly I have been asking this same question in another thread in the ADE forum which was originally posted for something completely different - it just progressed to this.
I then thought that perhaps I should ask the question here too in case someone with an answer reads it who doesn't look at the ADE forum.

I want to have some parking spots at a water airport NOT used by particular AI aircraft.

I have my AI aircraft set up with
atc_parking_types=DOCK
atc_parking_codes-TOA

The parking place has
(parking)type=RAMP_GA
Airlines Codes=XXX

I thought that this mismatch would prevent the AI aircraft being placed at the parking place before its assigned flight but it doesn't

I know that the radius of the parking place can be used to prevent an aircraft being assigned that parking place but all my relevant aircraft have the same wingspan.

Any ideas?
Thanks

What is your objective - to have particular AI aircraft park there or keep that space free for your own (user aircraft)?

You can edit aircraft parking radius to manipulate aircraft parking in AI aircraft editor. By changing the radius of the aircraft and the space size and also add the parking code should be a good match for specific AI aircraft to park there.
Also you can try editing the parking code to a more unique code if you want a specific a/c to park there (make your own up)

If the later of above and you want for your own a/c - because there are so many variables that are looked at when assigning parking (space size, parking code, what order the parking codes are in etc etc) I always reduce the radius to 10.0 which is below any aircraft on the field/sea FS ATC always assign me to that space. I edit my aircraft to match the space radius.

Hope this helps
Nick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Nick,

I was only trying to emulate the scenario at a water airport in Canda where there are docks in one part of a bay which are used (in real life) by 2 airlines and docks located elsewhere which are used by 2 different airlines and they all use the same bay to take off and land - in FSX that has to be a particular (water) runway.
It's a bit like what happens at YSSY (Sydney airport) which has international terminals on one 'side' of the main runways (16L/34R 16R/34L) and domestic terminals on the other side. This can be easily 'controlled' using parking place (gate etc) radius as generally speaking only very large (heavy) aircraft use the international terminals but at my water airport DHC2 Beaver aircraft are usually the only ones.

I thought of creating two separate airports but the AI aircraft from each possibly would contact each other during taxiing, takeoff and landing.

From trial any error I have found that using parking type (RAMP, DOCK, GATE etc) and/or parking codes (airline code) has little effect and have proven that AI aircraft will be placed even if there is no match on those two characteristics which is a real pity as I have first hand experience in real life, well at Honolulu international, that aircraft of a particular airline will ONLY go to GATES which are for that airline (we sat just outside the terminals for 40 minutes, yes 40 minutes, waiting on another aircraft to vacate our GATE while other aircraft of similar type and size for other airlines taxied past us straight to their GATES).

I read the article at http://www.fsdeveloper.com/wiki/index.php?title=Parking_assignment and came to the opinion that parking type and codes are used aren't fully controlling they are sort of 'weighted' for the selection of a parking spot.

tgibson

Resource contributor
Why would you want it to be absolute? If that happened, then after the offending plane landed and slowed to taxi speed it would just poof! disappear. Is that better?

Hi Tom,

No that is not better.
That can also also happen if all parking spots are being used.

With careful setting up of AI flight plans (restricted number of flights in and out) that should not happen.

Actually I hadn't got to that 'part' of testing (testing to see what arriving AI aircraft would do).

Anyway I guess it is probably immaterial trying to emulate making aircraft of one particular livery only use certain parking spots as unless you are close to these AI aircraft you don't see what livery/airlines they are.
I just thought that parking codes and types could control it and would like the 2nd parking area only to have aircraft positioned there at times.

The article I mentioned above might help me work out the best way of trying to achieve that.

(ADDED LATER) I have proved that parking codes and types are used at least some of the times by FSX.
I have
DOCK 1 and 2 with type DOCK (airline) code HBA (Harbor Air)
DOCK 3 type RAMP airline code TFO (Tofino Air).
I created a test AI flights file containing 3 aircraft all scheduled to depart at the same time - 1600hrs.
The first flight by Harbor Air parking type DOCK and code HBA
Second flight by West Air parking type DOCK and code WES
Third flight by Tofino parking type RAMP and code TFO

When I start up at 1558hrs I place my user aircraft at DOCK 2 so there are only 2 other parking spots for AI to use for the 3 scheduled flights.
Dock 1 is taken my DHC2 Beaver Harbor Air parking DOCK code HBA (correct)
Dock 3 has my DHC2 Tofino Air (correct)
FSX did not place the aircraft for the 2nd scheduled flight parking DOCK code WES

So while FSX doesn't place AI aircraft the way I prefer in some scenarios it does in others at least for departing aircraft.

I rest my 'case'

Thanks Tom

Last edited:
Goes back to what I said - parking codes and type go some of the way but I'm sure you will get even closer editing wingspan values to make aircraft find their spot easier. In ADE, AFCAD or AI aircraft editor all you can edit wingspan size. I'm no expert in FSX (FS9 user) but tweaking individual AI aircraft radius too match the space size will be another tick in the box.

Here is a good reference for FSX parking size:
http://www.flightsim2004-fanatics.com//FlightSim/FSXWingSpanValues.htm

In FS9 using AI aircraft editor I'm pretty sure I can set the size individually which helps for situation such as you are encountering with similar/same size aircraft.

Worth a shot I would say as parking code and type won't do it alone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tgibson

Resource contributor
The problem in FSX is editing the radius value involves changing the wing_span value in the aircraft.cfg file, and this changes the flight dynamics significantly.

That is exactly what I was thinking of Tom (changing the wing span affecting flight dynamics).

In any case that only works in one 'direction' ie they prevent an aircraft with a larger wingspan being 'sent' to a parking spot with a parking radius too small but do not prevent aircraft with a smaller wingspan being sent to a parking spot with a larger parking radius. They only half solve the problem.

I am already using parking area radius and wingspan to prevent my DHC3 AI aircraft from attempting to arrive at a particular dock as they can't turn fast enough.

I was considering setting up another DHC2 aircraft folder (with differences allowing they to co-exist within FSX) by increasing the wingspan by just 0.1 feet (which is enough to control with parking spot radius which goes to 2 decimal places) but wondered if just 0.1 feet difference in wingspan would alter flight dynamics enough to upset them. Because of what I just stated above I didn't think it was worth trying it out.

In any case do you think (for my information) 0.1 feet difference in wingspan would make a noticeable difference in flight dynamics Tom?

Last edited:
That is exactly what I was thinking of Tom (changing the wing span affecting flight dynamics).

In any case that only works in one 'direction' ie they prevent an aircraft with a larger wingspan being 'sent' to a parking spot with a parking radius too small but do not prevent aircraft with a smaller wingspan being sent to a parking spot with a larger parking radius. They only half solve the problem.

I am already using parking area radius and wingspan to prevent my DHC3 AI aircraft from attempting to arrive at a particular dock as they can't turn fast enough.

I was considering setting up another DHC2 aircraft folder (with differences allowing they to co-exist within FSX) by increasing the wingspan by just 0.1 feet (which is enough to control with parking spot radius which goes to 2 decimal places) but wondered if just 0.1 feet difference in wingspan would alter flight dynamics enough to upset them. Because of what I just stated above I didn't think it was worth trying it out.

In any case do you think (for my information) 0.1 feet difference in wingspan would make a noticeable difference in flight dynamics Tom?
I am now facing what appears to be the same/similar situation, only it is in P3Dv4.5 (not saying its P3D...just that this is the first time I have fiddled with a water runway and a DOCK for the floats). I immediately went the way of changing the parking radius since after leaving the dock in the DHC2, there was an AI commercial jet aircraft parked at the dock!...so I reduced the radius to map to the Beaver and though all was ok, except now I get an F-18 parked on the dock....and I dont think adjusting the wingspan of the F-18, plus any additional AI aircraft that show up, is the best way.
Am intrigued with your option of creating the Harbor Air and restricting the dock to just that...did it work or is this still an open question regarding how to keep land based AI aircraft away / not using the DOCK as a parking spot?

Lemon

tgibson

Resource contributor
You should be able to make the DOCK spot the last spot used by any other aircraft, but if all spots are filled and a plane will fit in the DOCK spot, it WILL park there. You have at least two choices:

1. Make sure you have lots of parking spots so planes are never forced to park there.
2. Create a new airport with just the water runway and DOCK spots.

Thank you for your thoughts/suggestions. The airport that I am working on is PHNL (Honolulu) and it has a massive number of parking spots for commercial, military, cargo, and GA. It also has 2 water runways with a float plane DOCK. It is this float plane DOCK that services the 2 water runways that is the problem. I also have a significant number of commercial AI flight plans active and it appears the only planes that "show up" on the DOCK are those AI planes that are part of P3D...aka, I have not seen a AA or a UAL or a KAL or a JAL or an HAL, etc. AI plane show up "on the dock" yet...but that said, the wing radius for any/all of these commercial aircraft are all larger than the limit I have set for the DOCK....but the F35/F18 make the cut. I am going to take a look at the aircraft.cfg next for all the embedded AI aircraft.
Thanks again for the insight.

One other thing that you can try is to put the dock spaces at the end of the list of parking spaces. This will give them the highest index number. This may help keep the F35/F18 from parking at the water docks. In ADE go to Lists then parking and drag the dock parking spots to the bottom of the list. ADE will rearrange the index numbers for you.

Ed

Ed, sorry for the delay from my end. Thanks for the tip. I already had the dock as the last in the list. What appears to have solved my problem is taking one of the many "airline" codes specific to floatplanes and configuring the dock as only that airline can "dock" there. I then added the same airline name in the cfg file for the DHC2. Since then, I have yet to spot any of the AI aircraft such as the F22/F35, sitting on the dock. My next challenge is how to specify the parking spots for Mil Cargo as well as Mil fighter aircraft...I suspect that the embedded AI AIRCRAFT that come with P3D have a cfg file that could be mod'd, I just have to find such.
Thanks again for your response, I really appreciate it very much.
Lemon