• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Probably asked 1000 times....but just in case... (AI roll out distance)

Country
us-ohio
I did some looking, and anything I have found is from long long ago in a galaxy far far away.... So, I am asking again as MAYBE something has changed....

I am doing a full remake of KCVG. I am not doing custom scenery as I don't have the time...however, there is sooooooooooooo much wrong with the stock airport that even JUST adding the 3rd N/S runway would be a huge change. I am doing way more than that. More on that later in another place... My issue with AI..

I am sick and tired of AI landing and taking the first or 2nd exit. Aside from this killing every person on the planes it just looks beyond stupid on a 12,000 foot runway for a jet to stop in under 1500 feet. So, I did cut links on the closest exits so at least the jets have to still GO down the runway a bit. However, they still stop in a matter of seconds after touchdown. I don't get why this was ever programmed into any FS but the fact that it still remains in todays sims....WTF!!!!!????

So my question is this.... is it possible to change ALL AI at one time to stop it from doing this? To NOT slam on the breaks and to continue a decent roll speed while on the runway.

I seem to remember back in my fs9 and early fsx design work I learned how to make changes in a planes file so that it would not do it...but I don't remember what gets edited and I would like it to be sim wide...no matter what plane or AI package is used.. So again, is it possible to change them all at once or at least easily?? Oh, and I currently only use P3Dv4.3 though I do have FSX still..

Thanks,

Greg

Last edited:

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
There are two phases to the slowdown on the runway - the reverse thrust (over 40 kts) and the braking (under 40 kts).

The reverse thrust is controlled by this line in the aircraft.cfg file:

min_throttle_limit=-0.40000

Make this less negative to reduce the reverse thrust (i.e. -0.20000).

The braking is controlled by this line:

toe_brakes_scale=0.092400

Make the value smaller to reduce the braking effect.

Hope this helps,

Country
us-ohio
Thank you Tom.. Funny that AFTER I posted this and doing some searching I actually found my same question on THIS SITE from ME...but like I had stated above...seems like these answers were all back in 2009-2011...so I was hoping maybe something NEW had occured. Thank you for showing me the values... Do you happen to know if anyone has created a way to edit ALL AI planes at once?? Or is this a fix that we have to do on every single plane one at a time??

Greg

Country
us-ohio
Does anyone know WHERE the AI planes are in P3Dv4?? I am waiting for a good AI package to come out to have NON generic ones. But I'll be darned if I can find where they are hiding so I can edit their files.... Searches on Google simply bring up talk about AI for P3D but nothing about the stock built in AI... Thanks again for all the help and ideas...

Greg

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
In previous sims FS uses the flyable aircraft for AI, along with a few AI only planes (Mooney, Dash-8). They are all in SimObjects/Airplanes in FSX.

Country
us-ohio
In previous sims FS uses the flyable aircraft for AI, along with a few AI only planes (Mooney, Dash-8). They are all in SimObjects/Airplanes in FSX.
Yeah, that's where I always knew them to be. They are not there in P3Dv4 that I can find...only the flyable aircraft are in there.. I scour again...

Greg

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Does P3DV4 use any other aircraft than the flyable ones for AI? If so, which ones have you seen?

Country
us-ohio
Does P3DV4 use any other aircraft than the flyable ones for AI? If so, which ones have you seen?
It uses a 'commercial airliner' which while I should absolutely know this...I am pretty sure is a 757, though, I am sure I have seen a 737 in there as well...but can't swear to that... Also, it does use a CRJ-700...and NONE of those are in the flyable menu!!! Oddly enough, there are NO jet airliners included in the base pack to fly.. If there are, then mine is a messed up version. LOL!!!!

Greg

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Are you using any addon AI traffic package? If so, they can add their aircraft into a custom folder defined by an XML file in P3D.

Country
us-ohio
Tom, No I am not. I have been waiting for UTL to actually be worth buying... I am using plain stock AI in P3Dv4. :(

Greg

Country
us-ohio
Well, I had actually fixed the stock AI planes to roll out longer and extend their take-off roll. looked really good. Then I broke down a couple hours ago and bought UTL. LOL Sweet watching the planes (almost) live (tracking on the web as well as in the app) So now I see all the airlines that should be there...at the gates they belong at... (oddly, not seeing any actual CARGO planes there..and should be almost 100 during peak time...and MANY flying in overnight and leaving overnight (00:00-06:00)...many 744 that are international should be there at all times of the day...I even saw one that was scheduled to leave at 6:30pm tonight...but there was NO 747 anywhere at the airport. I really wanted to see how it did on the take-off roll...but nothing. Then I looked and the tracking window showed it was on it's way to Anchorage, AK... WTF!!! So have to figure that one out. But again, LOVED seeing all the new airlines that should be there, there.. However, now they all use the normal crap cfg files that stop them in about 800' and take off in about 1/2 the real distance.

So, apparently now I have to either edit ALL the aircraft the program came with, plus any new ones I add....or find if anyone else has done it already...

Someone would do great (wish I knew how to code now-days.. Used to know assembler but that was 30 years ago!! Never learned Java or C++) if they created a program to load an aircraft file and then, in a great GUI, allow it to be modified for things like what we want to do. I thought, many years ago, there was an aircraft editor program??

Greg

Country
denmark
".but there was NO 747 anywhere at the airport it was on it's way to Anchorage, AK. "
Are you sure you have looked at the right time? AI flightplans are usually made with UTC time, but if you have looked for it in local time, there might be a differnce?
At the Lorby-si.com website there's an AiAircraftTweaker tool which supposedly should be able to change landing and roll out distance. I haven't tried it myself, so don't know if it works, but it might be worth a look. But please report back if you try it and it works, cause I also think they have a way to short landing distance.

Jlund

Country
us-ohio
".but there was NO 747 anywhere at the airport it was on it's way to Anchorage, AK. "
Are you sure you have looked at the right time? AI flightplans are usually made with UTC time, but if you have looked for it in local time, there might be a differnce?
At the Lorby-si.com website there's an AiAircraftTweaker tool which supposedly should be able to change landing and roll out distance. I haven't tried it myself, so don't know if it works, but it might be worth a look. But please report back if you try it and it works, cause I also think they have a way to short landing distance.

Jlund

As for the time, yeah, I know I had it right. I was basing my watching on the departure board from the program. There was NEVER a 747 anywhere at the airport. MOST of the Cargo parking was empty and what parking had planes had passenger planes. The time came and went...it was just a couple minutes later when I saw the plane just leaving the CVG airspace..

I will check out that program. I'll report back if it does in fact work. Thanks,

Greg