• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Problem with Hanger Model

Country
us-illinois
Hi again:

I use Sketchup to create manifold solid 'primitive' block 3D models extruded from a single flat Face before I make any openings in the object.

IIUC, Blender has comparable capabilities; IMHO, this procedure merits testing for your 3D modeling work-flow. ;)

I do understand you have a background in working with GMAX and may have an interest in learning how to use advanced features in Blender, but you might be interested to see just how easy it is to make 3D models in Sketchup, and then import into Blender to implement ex: Ambient Occlusion (aka "A-O") or other features such as PBR Materials. :idea:

Regarding troubleshooting of the original OP issue ...summarized here:

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/problem-with-hanger-model.445884/post-827669

Might this be due to configuration of UVW map 'pixel borders' in Blender / MCX Draw Call Minimizer ...before output ? :scratchch

These threads discuss G-Polys as flat 3D models, but do apply to texture mapping of other 3D model Faces as well: :pushpin:

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/imagery-white-lines.434505/

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/uvw-mapping-for-ground-polys.15545/post-100366

I would consider whether there may be an issue of UVW mapping anomalies, wherein a mapped texture is not precisely overlapping the actual Face vertex coordinate positions within the 3D model geometry ...when rendered at run time.

Thus, one may try a "1 or 2 pixel border" / "add edge pixels tweak" for texture UVW mapping of Faces / Edges.

I do not use Blender, so perhaps Doug can advise you on how to do that within the Blender GUI.

If a 3D model is imported into MCX: "pixel border" / "add edge pixels is configured via:

MCX Menu > Icon Bar > Material Editor > {Drawcalls} tab > [X] Include repeating Textures ('check' if textures are 'tiled')

MCX Menu > Icon Bar > Material Editor > {Drawcalls} tab > Add Border [x] Pixels (...try a "2" pixel border)

FYI: This is an especially important consideration where a mapped texture image Material is being repeatedly "tiled".:pushpin:

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/why-wont-drawcall-minimizer-minimize.425168/

BTW: If a 3D model is imported into MCX, and one used a "color" (ex: BLACK) mapped as a Material onto a Face by the 3D modeling program, based on MCX' online wiki, one 'might' otherwise have considered if there is a need to re-configure:

ObjectModel settings > ObjectModel options > Drawcall minimizer > TextureResetOffset

TextureResetOffset = Offset from the border of the texture when resetting the texture mapping. This is used when replacing a colour by a texture. Having a small offset can give noise at lower mipmaps.

However, once again, Arno changed MCX development version, but has not (yet ?) updated the MCX online wiki. :banghead:

PS: This thread would really best be moved to- and discussed within- the Blender sub-forum.

GaryGB

Last edited:

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
In the meantime, until I get home, TB can you take a screenshot of any Directory containing an SDK. It should be located in the Program Files (x86) folder (not the Program Files without the x86). The SDK v1.4 should be there, but there might be another. The FSX Box version is under the directory, Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\.

The Blender2FSXP3D Toolset v.0.9.5 is written specifically for FSX Box SDK and P3D v1.4 (new for this version), v2.x, v3.x, and v4.x.

Did you have the FSX Box version at anytime prior to having Steam? Or did you have use of the SDK box version at one point? or did you change the toolset somehow? If not, how are you able to use an SDK under FSX within Blender? Or are you setting manually?

EDIT: Additional question: Did you Install P3D SDK v1.4 (at one time or another and placed the missing files of the Steam SDK version into Steam SDK folder? I'm trying to understand how you are able to use the FSX choice within the Blender2FSXP3D Toolset.

Last edited:

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
TB

What version of Blender are you running (2.79b should the version to use)?

I'm still working on the search of the error.

Last edited:

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
TB...

When you installed the SDK v1.4, did you right click on the .exe file and click on "run as administrator"?

If not, uninstall it and reboot computer then reinstall as above, please.

Country
unitedstates
In the meantime, until I get home, TB can you take a screenshot of any Directory containing an SDK. It should be located in the Program Files (x86) folder (not the Program Files without the x86). The SDK v1.4 should be there, but there might be another. The FSX Box version is under the directory, Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\.

The Blender2FSXP3D Toolset v.0.9.5 is written specifically for FSX Box SDK and P3D v1.4 (new for this version), v2.x, v3.x, and v4.x.

Did you have the FSX Box version at anytime prior to having Steam? Or did you have use of the SDK box version at one point? or did you change the toolset somehow? If not, how are you able to use an SDK under FSX within Blender? Or are you setting manually?

EDIT: Additional question: Did you Install P3D SDK v1.4 (at one time or another and placed the missing files of the Steam SDK version into Steam SDK folder? I'm trying to understand how you are able to use the FSX choice within the Blender2FSXP3D Toolset.

I am using Blender 2.79b

Included are the images you asked for concerning where my SDK's are located. Wonder if I stumbled onto something, I seem to have 4 SDK's on my system. Not sure if that is why it's getting whacked. You can see the directory tree at the top of each image. Not sure WHY I have 4. I've only been compiling FSX (Steam) and P3D 4.5. I'm wondering if there is a conflict on one of these SDK's. Also, in my "add/remove" programs, it only has P3D 1.4 and 4.5 and FSX SP2 SDK's. Not sure where the 4th one came from. Also, I need to determine WHICH one is the bogus one.

In answer to your question "Did you have the FSX Box version at anytime prior to having Steam? Or did you have use of the SDK box version at one point? or did you change the toolset somehow? If not, how are you able to use an SDK under FSX within Blender? Or are you setting manually? The answer is possibly. I did have a copy of FSX boxed on here (and the SDK) at one time, but removed it when I got FSX Steam and P3D. I cannot remember which order or sequence of events, but yes, the boxed version was on here prior to Steam. I did NOT set Blender SDK for FSX manually. Auto detect works fine.

Your question: Did you Install P3D SDK v1.4 (at one time or another and placed the missing files of the Steam SDK version into Steam SDK folder? No this did not take place.

I'll play with this today, even if I have to totally remove all SDK's from my system (including registry) and re-install them. Probably wise to do so anyway. Actually, if I don't need the FSX SDK, and can use the P3D SDK 1.4 then I'll eliminate the FSX SDK entirely.

More to come!

TB2

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
Looks like we crossed post...

Read my previous post.... I will be away for a couple of hours.. will look on more later.

Country
unitedstates
Yes, I always select "run as administrator" when I install things.

Also, previous to all of this I was attempting to create everything using P3D SDK 4.x and discovered that it didn't work too well in FSX (actually how ADE compiled it for P3D). That is when I downloaded and installed FSX for Steam and then found )somewhere) the SDK for FSX and installed it. (I don't think FSX Steam comes with SDK, but not sure at this point) .

Uninstalled all SDK's, scanned through registry and found no references to any SDK's, so I'm pretty sure it's cleaned out. Reinstalled 4.5, tested good, reinstalled 1.4, same error. :(

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
TB...

I think I know what has caused the "directory not found" error by XtoXML with P3D SDK v1.4:

Since you had installed at one time or another, FSX Box and Steam version, both of them and then removed the FSX Box (leaving the SDK for). The Blender2FSXP3D Toolset is looking for the SDK v1.4 within a specific Directory (as a stand-alone) but not knowing FSX Box version was installed also at one point (there is another thread regarding this little tidbit here).

This also explains why you had to re-install the SDK FSX Box version and was able to use it within the Blender2FSXP3D Toolset. I need to look more closely at the Blender2FSXP3D Toolset and see how complicated this would be to change or to add it.

The other option to you (unfortunately :banghead: ) is uninstalling FSX: Steam and making sure all previous versions of the FSX box version are gone before re-installing FSX: Steam so that you can reinstall as if a stand-alone FSX. There are folder name differences between a dual install of compared to a standalone thereof and not knowing if FSX box was installed at one point of time.

BTW... as I had mentioned before: The SDK for FSX: Steam is available but is incomplete within the folder of Steam (the last image you show is the Incomplete SDK for Steam) on your system. Again, Though, It is INCOMPLETE! The very reason for you having to use the P3D SDK v1.4.

Last edited:

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
@ronh

This looks like a typo in the filename or path for XtoXML.exe - can you look at it please?

Error_ronh.png

Thanks!

Country
unitedstates
TB...

I think I know what has caused the "directory not found" error by XtoXML with P3D SDK v1.4:

Since you had installed at one time or another, FSX Box and Steam version, both of them and then removed the FSX Box (leaving the SDK for). The Blender2FSXP3D Toolset is looking for the SDK v1.4 within a specific Directory (as a stand-alone) but not knowing FSX Box version was installed also at one point (there is another thread regarding this little tidbit here).

This also explains why you had to re-install the SDK FSX Box version and was able to use it within the Blender2FSXP3D Toolset. I need to look more closely at the Blender2FSXP3D Toolset and see how complicated this would be to change or to add it.

The other option to you (unfortunately :banghead: ) is uninstalling FSX: Steam and making sure all previous versions of the FSX box version are gone before re-installing FSX: Steam so that you can reinstall as if a stand-alone FSX. There are folder name differences between a dual install of compared to a standalone thereof and not knowing if FSX box was installed at one point of time.

BTW... as I had mentioned before: The SDK for FSX: Steam is available but is incomplete within the folder of Steam (the last image you show is the Incomplete SDK for Steam) on your system. Again, Though, It is INCOMPLETE! The very reason for you having to use the P3D SDK v1.4.

Sounds reasonable. Since I only use FSX-SE for testing, I don't have an issue uninstalling it altogether to help eliminate this issue. But, before I do, here is my plan of attack. If you think of anything else, let me know. I won't proceed until I hear from you. Since I can use P3D SDK 1.4 instead of any FSX SDK, I'll stick to that and won't bother with the FSX SDK.

1. Uninstall FSX-SE
2. Uninstall P3D SDK 1.4
3. Search the registry for ANY FSX entries and eliminate them.
4. PRIOR to reinstalling FSX-SE, I'll install P3D SDK 1.4 and see if it still fails or if it works. Regardless of what it does, I'll need to do step 5
5. Reinstall FSX-SE

Country
unitedstates
@ronh

This looks like a typo in the filename or path for XtoXML.exe - can you look at it please?

View attachment 51167

Thanks!

Exactly what filename / path? I'm not seeing what you're seeing.

I won't begin to claim I know about "programming", and I have looked at the two files _init_.py and export_fsx.py and do not "see" how they know where to find the XtoMDL.exe file. Is it possible mine is in the "wrong" directory? If so, can I experiment by copying it into where the exporter thinks it should be? And where exactly is that?

TB2

Last edited:

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
Hello TB...

I was hoping that Ron would have had time to check on the code to the Blender2FSXP3D Toolset before I answered any farther.

But if you want to proceed we can do so... concerning your plan of attack:

Backup any and all scenery before you search and destroy!! That is if you wish to keep them.

I would uninstall any and all of FSX Steam Edition, but leave the P3D SDK v1.4 as is. There should NOT be any need to uninstall the P3D SDK v1.4. The SDK is stand-alone (not connected in any way to FSX: Steam Edition). Also, you should NOT need to uninstall any of the P3D SDK v4.5 or P3D v4.5 simulator, etc at all

Make sure to re-boot system after uninstalling and Regedit steps (helpful in backing up the registry).

Search for any folders left after uninstalling (delete any that are left after from uninstalling). You should be able to go through File Explorer for this (make sure you click so that hidden files can be seen also, particularly the roaming folder name). The thread I mentioned before concerning the different locations such as the different folder names etc could be helpful also.

After the above, search with Regedit for leftovers.

Then reinstall FSX Steam Edition.

Once you are done, Blender should be self-efficient (not needing to do much). The 2 options or choices from within Blender should be P3D SDK v1.4 (for FSX: Steam Edition) and P3D SDK v4.x (for P3D v4.5).

Through ADE you will need to make a few changes - along with MCX. We can go over that when the time comes.

Last edited:
Country
unitedstates
One thing, if the P3D SDK 1.4 is stand alone, then exactly why am I removing all FSX software (and references)? (refresh my memory). I have no issues proceeding as it will (hopefully) give me a totally clean install for the SE version.

Ok, finished uninstalling SE and cleaning the registry. Just for the fun of it, I attempted to use P3D SDK 1.4 to export model from Blender, still no joy.

Don't know if I mentioned, Blender will "auto detect sdk" 1.4 and 4.5 SDK's without issues. It will error out if I auto detect anything other than 1.4 and 4.5 SDK's. So I know it detects it.

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
Is it the exact same error? If it is I'm not sure what file or directory its looking for. Unless, its looking for DirectX 9.0c?

Removing the FSX: SE is because it did not install as a stand alone since you had FSX Box installed before, which add or changes the folder names.

Last edited:
Country
unitedstates
Try a simple box in Blender and try to compile it

That's what I've been doing. Again, it will compile without issue if I select P3D 4.5, but not P3D 1.4 (and yes, I initialize toolset prior to compiling. No issues when I initialize.)

Also, just completed the latest request, suspend anti-virus and reinstall SDK 1.4. I did reboot after removing it, then suspend, install and test. Same error.

TB2

Country
unitedstates
Is it the exact same error? If it is I'm not sure what file or directory its looking for. Unless, its looking for DirectX 9.0c?

Removing the FSX: SE is because it did not install as a stand alone since you had FSX Box installed before, which add or changes the folder names.

Yes, exact same error. AFTER your latest request to reinstall SDK after anti-virus suspend.

Also, I have not re-installed FSX SE yet. I'm waiting on when we can get this resolved, then move on with my other issue of the light leakage (which I think we both hope SDK 1.4 resolves).

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
I need to look into the blender2fsxp3d toolset now. While I do, try this:

Right-click on the blender icon (shortcut) or.exe file, click on Properties, under the Compatibly tab click on the boolean box next to "Run this program as an Administrator". Click on "OK".

Then try to compile...

Edit: If not try downloading and installing DirectX 9.0c from here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109

Does anyone know what other files are required to run P3D v1.4 (such as .NET etc)?

Last edited:
Country
unitedstates
I need to look into the blender2fsxp3d toolset now. While I do, try this:

Right-click on the blender icon (shortcut) or.exe file, click on Properties, under the Compatibly tab click on the boolean box next to "Run this program as an Administrator". Click on "OK".

Then try to compile...

Edit: If not try downloading and installing DirectX 9.0c from here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109

Does anyone know what other files are required to run P3D v1.4 (such as .NET etc)?

No difference. (I also have "run as admin" selected in my shortcut properties)

Country
canada
Sorry to be late, The only thing I can suggest is look in the registry for the SDK you want to use (assume v1.4)
Blender2FSXP3D gets the main folder from there then tacks on Environment Kit\Modeling Kit\3DSM7\plugins\XtoMDL.exe.

You say v4.5 works but not v1.4

The only difference is the way LM has the registry for v2.x and 3.x (32 bit)

HKLM\software\Wow6432Node\LockheedMartin <--- v 1.4

and

HKLM\software\Wow6432Node\Lockheed Martin <-- with a space

You should see setupPath there. Make sure this agrees with where your real SDK actually is.

And it is XtoMDL.exe not XtoXML.exe