FSX:SE Problems when compiling and importing to FSX

Hello everyone,

Some days ago I started using Airport Design Editor to edit and create airports. I've had no issues with the program itself an I think I can use it pretty well for a noobie. My problem comes when compiling. I first run the Fault Finder (FF) to check for any big mistake or anything. Once the FF marks no errors, I compile it and import it to FSX. FSX kinda recognices it and I can search it and "select it" in the Select Airport option. Anyways, I cant choose any parking spot or anything at all and once I click on Start and load the sim I appear at 0ºN 0ºE. I then use the map option to try and move my aircraft to the new airport, but in the Map itself I can't se the airport.

The "weird" thing is that all the buildings and structures plus some ground polys apear at the desired location, but no apron, runway, helipads or parkings whatsoever, and the same with a grass polygon or the fences; so I'm guessing that I'm missing some steps while compilating or during the creation. While compiling I've tried both of the options of <<ARP elevation, Full visibility>> and <<Local elevation, Full visibility>> but both with the same results.

I've check and tried a lot of things and I'm kinda loosing my mind. I'm using ADE v1.79 Dev and Windows 10 + FSX Steam Edition. I've deleted two (I know that more are gone, but I only found two for now) stock airports by accident trying to solve this, so... yeah, kinda lost. Does anyone here knows about this problem and can help me in any way?

Thanks for reading and please help.

PD: I've attached a snap of the Aerodrome I'm creating in case there's something noticeable in there, I can give you as much info as needed. Have a good day.

Attachments

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
please attach the project file (. ad4) to a post here so we can check it.

You've used a landclass polygon as a background instead of 'airfield background'. Making that change, and setting the airfield background elevation correctly, makes it work fine in FSX:SE. Note - you have no hold short at the 26 end, and the Starts on the helipads won't do anything in my experience.

Agree with Tim -
- replace LandClass poly with Airport Background - Flatten Mask Class Map excludeAutogen (25 metres seems to be a good level for this airfield)
- remove helipad Starts
- add Hold Short at E1 , plus

- at vehicle parking spots - remove library objects as these will be populated with fuel tankers automatically, and
- connect, using extra vehicle taxipaths, the existing vehicle taxipaths to the aircraft taxi paths so that the fuel tankers can get to any parked aircraft (IMHO just requires 3 short connections).

Note that compiling produces 4 BGL files - LEVF_ADEX_GGC.bgl LEVF_ADEX_GGC_CVX.bgl LEVF_ADEX_GGC_GP.bgl and
LEVF_ADEX_GGC_ALT.bgl which is placed in \scenery\World\scenery .

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
I am concerned that you mention you have already deleted stock airports. Generally you can only delete these by deleting stock APX files. These files can contain anything up to 100 airports. Tim and Ray have covered the remediation. Airports facilities can disappear if the airport reference altitude differs from the terrain. Buildings usually sit at the terrain so are not directly linked to the airport.

I cant choose any parking spot or anything at all and once I click on Start and load the sim I appear at 0ºN 0ºE. I then use the map option to try and move my aircraft to the new airport, but in the Map itself I can't se the airport.
I am not sure I understand this - is it fixed with the remediation suggested by Ray and Tim?

Finally since FSX:SE does not ship with compilers which SDK did you install?

Thank you for all your tips and instructions. I've followed your instructions and at least I've solved the parcel of the airport. I'm still unable to see anything more than what I stated earlier, may it be a problem of the game? Should I uninstall it
and reinstall it or something?

This is all I can see and this is the new file

Attachments

I am not sure I understand this - is it fixed with the remediation suggested by Ray and Tim?
This is the option I get for choosing my starting point, and when selected, I still apear at 0ºN 0ºE

Regarding the APX files, I (think) I have them all copied in my Desktop, so I don't know if that can solve it. I copied them by chance and I'm not really sure how I ended up messing up so badly as to delete stock airports.

Edit: I think I used a P3D SDK that I found I think in this forum, so maybe thats an issue

Attachments

Last edited:
Note that compiling produces 4 BGL files - LEVF_ADEX_GGC.bgl LEVF_ADEX_GGC_CVX.bgl LEVF_ADEX_GGC_GP.bgl and
LEVF_ADEX_GGC_ALT.bgl which is placed in \scenery\World\scenery .
I don't understand fully this. Do I put all the files compiled in there or do I leave "LEVF_ADEX_GGC.bgl LEVF_ADEX_GGC_CVX.bgl LEVF_ADEX_GGC_GP" in the folder I have them and "LEVF_ADEX_GGC_ALT.bgl" in \scenery\World\scenery?

Thanks a lot for the tips and corrections

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
LEVF_ADEX_GGC.bgl LEVF_ADEX_GGC_CVX.bgl LEVF_ADEX_GGC_GP.bgl go together in Addon Scenery\scenery.
LEVF_ADEX_GGC_ALT.bgl" goes in \scenery\World\scenery? This changes the altitude of the airport Let me look at the project

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
The first thing I notice is that this is not a stock airport but you have set a revised altitude - produced a _ALT file. ADE tells you this is optional since there is no stock airport to change the altitude for.

1589986789424.png

So I would ignore the _ALT.bgl file - do not place it anywhere. With that said I simply compiled your project to FSX:SE folder Addon Scenery\scenery so that the other three bgl files are located there. Starting FSX:SE allowed me to select the airport LEVF and also select where to start from. I left is as active runway

1589986940840.png

Loading the airport I get what I expect in terms of airport features and buildings

1589987067456.png

1589987130272.png

1589987172526.png

If you didn't put your compiled bgl files (other than the _ALT file) into Addon Scenery\scenery then please delete them from where you put them so we can start on the same basis. Do not place the _ALT file anywhere. Compile to Addon Scenery\scenery.

You should get the same as I do.

I followed your instructions but still nothing, same outcome. I think that or my sim is faulty (or just acting up) or ADE / the compiler is not working properly. I will add my compiling settings in case I'm missing something, but I suspect that there is a software problem. If that was the case, is there any other Airport Editor compatible with FSX? Maybe ADE v1.78 instead? I've used FSX planner before ADE but I was directly unable to compile anything.

Thanks again for your patience and effort.

Attachments

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
I notice some differences (which I do not think are the problem). First is the bgl files created. In your screenshot there is an _OBJ bgl file which was not mentioned before. You have set a split the airport and objects in the compile so that explains that. Also missing is the _GP.bgl.

Please remove any and all bgl files that you can find by searching the FSX:SE installation\Scenery\* and which are named LEVF3_ADEX_GGC***.bgl I want to be sure that none of your previous attempts are present and active. This would also include any earlier tries - are there any LEVF1*.bgl or LEVF2*.bgl files about in the sim. One of your earlier attempts might well be defeating your latest attempt. Be sure to check \Scenery\World\scenery

When that is done place the attached files into Addon Scenery\scenery and start the sim These are the files I created and worked for me.

Finally please be kind enough to tell me exactly what SDK you are using is it the P3D v1.4 SDK or something else?

Attachments

Last edited:
I notice some differences (which I do not think are the problem). First is the bgl files created. In your screenshot there is an _OBJ bgl file which was not mentioned before. You have set a split the airport and objects in the compile so that explains that. Also missing is the _GP.bgl.

Please remove any and all bgl files that you can find by searching the FSX:SE installation\Scenery\* and which are named LEVF3_ADEX_GGC***.bgl I want to be sure that none of your previous attempts are present and active. This would also include any earlier tries - are there any LEVF1*.bgl or LEVF2*.bgl files about in the sim. One of your earlier attempts might well be defeating your latest attempt. Be sure to check \Scenery\World\scenery

When that is done place the attached files into Addon Scenery\scenery and start the sim These are the files I created and worked for me.

Finally please be kind enough to tell me exactly what SDK you are using is it the P3D v1.4 SDK or something else?
The SDK i've used is "Prepar3D_v5" (Prepar3D_v5_SDK_Setup_5.0.24.34874.msi) and I'm going to try the files that you kindly generated, I will update soon

Just to add that the "<<ARP elevation, Full visibility>> and <<Local elevation, Full visibility>> " you mentioned in the OP is to do with your Ground Polys, and nothing that should affect the visibility of the rest of the airport. When I compiled it, I had to edit the large poly to 'tile' the texture, but other than that it compiled without problems (I use the P3Dv1.4 SDK for FSX) and, once I'd created the airfield background by simply changing your landclass poly and giving it the correct elevation, the whole thing appeared correctly in the sim. The fact that you have ground polys means that, as Jon says, there should be a LEVF3_ADEX_GGC_GP.bgl and a texture file. That GP texture must be available to the sim (it's not a standard texture, I believe), so I make a folder for each addon airport, put all the .bgl files in a Scenery folder within the airport's folder, and place the GP texture in a Texture folder within the airport's folder. It takes up slightly more space than using the default Scenery and Texture folders within FSX's Addon Scenery folder, but when you get up to several hundred addon airfields (as I have in P3D!), it's an easier way to organise them.

I've tested it and it works flawlessly, so thank you very much for your effort and time. Let me know if I can compensate you in any way.

Then you are compiling the airfield for P3Dv5, NOT FSX! That's why it doesn't work.
Well... That would explain a lot about why it's not working, I feel so dumb. Do you know where can I get an FSX SDK suitable for this? You mentioned P3D v1.4 for FSX, where can I adquire it?

Thanks and sorry!

Just to add that the "<<ARP elevation, Full visibility>> and <<Local elevation, Full visibility>> " you mentioned in the OP is to do with your Ground Polys, and nothing that should affect the visibility of the rest of the airport. When I compiled it, I had to edit the large poly to 'tile' the texture, but other than that it compiled without problems (I use the P3Dv1.4 SDK for FSX) and, once I'd created the airfield background by simply changing your landclass poly and giving it the correct elevation, the whole thing appeared correctly in the sim. The fact that you have ground polys means that, as Jon says, there should be a LEVF3_ADEX_GGC_GP.bgl and a texture file. That GP texture must be available to the sim (it's not a standard texture, I believe), so I make a folder for each addon airport, put all the .bgl files in a Scenery folder within the airport's folder, and place the GP texture in a Texture folder within the airport's folder. It takes up slightly more space than using the default Scenery and Texture folders within FSX's Addon Scenery folder, but when you get up to several hundred addon airfields (as I have in P3D!), it's an easier way to organise them.
And the lack of the GP file is due to the wrong SDK or is more of a configuration issue?