• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

P3D v5 Project Africa for P3Dv4/P3Dv5

MatthiasKNU

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Hello everyone!

Already during my Germany-Photoreal-Project I started with Africa.
Today I am so far that I can show first pictures for my first test region - Chad!

Why Chad?
The main reason was that it includes many vegetation zones, from the Sahara in the north to the Moist-infantile Savanna in the south.

Sat images with a resolution of 2 m/px are used as a basis. The vegetation is based on high-precision Landsat Landcover classifications, which I processed with ArcPy to feed ScenProc with.
The vegetation zones according to White and SRTM terrain data are also used.

Buildings still cause problems, but maybe I will find a solution!

But here are some pictures!

2019-6-7_12-39-2-511y7krc.jpg

2019-6-7_12-39-55-94148j32.jpg

2019-6-7_12-40-34-324hfj30.jpg

Last edited:
Country
netherlands
Oh wow, this is wonderful! Great work! May I ask where you get the sat imagery from? Is this Google?

Lagaffe

Resource contributor
Country
france
Beautiful, I dream a South Africa landscape like this one ... as I visit during July 1999 .

MatthiasKNU

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Oh, the sat images are from ***. They are much better, because in Africa the color transitions are not as strongly visible as on the google imagery.

Didier, i totally understand you. I visited Namibia last summer for a few weeks, and since then I wanted a very good Africa in the sim. And I hope, that my scripts are now good enough to create whole Africa. The only thing which is limiting is my workstation, because especially the process to create the vegetation shapefiles really takes its time!

Last edited:
Country
unitedstates
I think Africa would be a good opportunity for photoreal add-ons if they have the quality like the above shots. Those are 2m? Loos as good a 1m to me. :cool:

MatthiasKNU

Resource contributor
Country
germany
To be honest, they have a resolution of 1,6 m/px.
For the whole Chad I have about 30 GB of bgls...

MatthiasKNU

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Good evening everyone!

After another week, I can show the first pictures of Morocco!
But unfortunately I made a small mistake in assigning the vegetation types, so I can only show a few pictures from the south (and the region around Agadir) today. I hope to be able to solve the problem tomorrow.
2019-6-17_16-59-42-181vk1o.jpg

2019-6-17_17-0-13-611y3jos.jpg

2019-6-17_17-0-42-404q8kjj.jpg

Country
denmark
Good evening everyone!

After another week, I can show the first pictures of Morocco!
But unfortunately I made a small mistake in assigning the vegetation types, so I can only show a few pictures from the south (and the region around Agadir) today. I hope to be able to solve the problem tomorrow.
2019-6-17_16-59-42-181vk1o.jpg

2019-6-17_17-0-13-611y3jos.jpg

2019-6-17_17-0-42-404q8kjj.jpg
My bus broke down there around there on the way to Agadir some 25 years ago... 45 degrees and those trees really don't provide much shade... We waited an eternity for the next bus... Looks fantastic - can't wait to see when you get to the area around Suez :D

MatthiasKNU

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Now also pictures from the rest of Morocco:

2019-6-18_17-57-19-870mkeu.jpg

2019-6-18_18-4-55-124llkda.jpg

2019-6-18_18-11-15-62hsjtq.jpg

However, I am not quite satisfied yet, especially the differentiation between fields and scrubland does not work as well as I had hoped. I was able to make some corrections, which will then affect the coming states.

MatthiasKNU

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Thank you all!

Indeed, it is now something completely different to fly over Africa...
Next will be Algeria, but due to its size it will take 1-2 weeks...