• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FS2004 Prop Assignments Upon Import

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Hi Arno,

I noticed in a recent update the props are no longer assigned the engine0/1/2/3 animations upon Import of an FS2004 MDL, but are assigned prop0/1/2/3_blurred - that's great, now they won't be inadvertently lost. One question. Since you know to what value the prop0/1/2/3_blurred parts are set to in the Set Conditions box, would it be possible to set them to the correct still/slow/blurred animation upon Import? I could test and find out the exact values for each state, if you like. They could be described as a generic prop0/1/2/3 in the Set Conditions box if that would reduce confusion.

If that's not feasible, if you are going to list them as a still/slow/blurred in the Set Conditions box and the default value for them is 0 (which produces still props), might I suggest that they should be prop0/1/2/3_still by default, rather than blurred?

Thanks a lot,

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi Tom,

I saw that the animation is the same for the still, slow and blurred definitions. The difference is the visibility condition. So that's why I thought it doesn't matter which animation type I assigned. Or did I miss something?

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
You’re right it doesn’t really matter, except for the ability to pick them in the Hierarchy Editor by name. People who are new to this don’t really understand that though. Just trying to keep things as clear as possible. Thanks anyway.

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Upon reflection, could you change them to still? That way when someone imports a plane and makes no changes to the Set Conditions box the props are correctly assigned. It will be confusing if they see still props in the aircraft display but they are assigned to prop_blurred in the Animation Manager. Thanks!

When working with prop aircraft it's a good idea to give the prop parts their proper animation tag because then they are much easier to find in the Animation Manager (before you assign visibility conditions).

The other reason I'd like to have the default choice still props (as they now are, since 0 is the default value) is that it they are typically the "smallest" of the three still/slow/blurred prop parts, and thus it's easiest to see when you add the isolated slow and then blurred prop parts later.

Thanks,

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
OK, I'll change the mapping to use the still variant in a next release.

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Thanks. That will at least make it easier for this old brain. :)

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Hi Arno,

Just a gentle reminder if you could make this change in one of the upcoming development releases - thanks!

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
I've just coded it this afternoon, so it will be in the next development release.