• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FS2004 Prop transparency conflict with clouds

Country
unitedkingdom
When I design props for FS9 AI aircraft, I find that the transparency of the slow and blurred disks causes a drawing order problem with any low cloud behind them:

Is this a known FS9 problem (FSX seems to be OK) or is there a way around it please?

John

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
It is a known problem, and there may be a way. If using FSDS 2, make sure the slow and blurred props are the last ones in the parts list. To do this, Cut them from the model and Paste them back in.

For FSDS3 and GMAX, make sure that your material for blurred and slow props has at least a tiny bit of transparency (opacity < 100) so MakeMDL will do the same thing.

Hope this helps,

Country
unitedkingdom
Thanks Tom. I'm using Gmax and my opacity setting for the prop_slow and blurred material is set at 99% although I've tried it at 95% too. The result is the problem in the screen shot.

I've saved the texture as Dxt3 but I've also tried what I think is the Microsoft format for the DC-3 props which is 32bit (I presume 888-8). That still creates the drawing order problem, although not for the default DC-3.

I'm not clear whether the prop texture should have the "_t" suffix for transparency. Could you just advise on the right texture format please?

John

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Try to name the material for prop_slow "ZBIAS_prop_slow".

That should, IIRC, make it show above everything else.

Country
unitedkingdom
Thanks for that one Heretic, but it didn't work unfortunately. I wonder if the result is peculiar to my Graphics card (Nvidia GTX 580 SC)?

John

Country
germany
I wonder if the result is peculiar to my Graphics card (Nvidia GTX 580 SC)?

No. This is a typical problem with AI_aircraft in FS9.
All transparent parts of the AI_aircraft, whether texture or material, will covered by the clouds.

Country
unitedkingdom
Aha, you are right Flusirainer. I've just confirmed that by setting up the default DC_3 as AI. The slow and blurred props also disappear when viewed against cloud. Worth asking the question though.

John