• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Purchase FS2020 from Steam or MS?

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Just wondering if it is better to buy from one or the other? Do y'all have a preference?

gfxpilot

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
I suppose if you gain "points" for purchasing from either thus allowing you to use these to buy something later on then I guess this will potentially by the guiding factor. Most people have a MS account and earn points for using big etc. Price will be the other issue. I suspect that its release will be price fixed across any third party. I potentially would go MS that way if there is an issue they cannot claim its nothing to do with them

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
If you need a MIcrosoft account to use FS20, you might as well buy from there and cut out the middle man. Steam also takes a commission from the developer (not that MS cares), updates may be rolled out a bit later and it may apply additional DRM features to third party content purchased via Steam (see FSX:SE's encrypted MDL files for DLC aircraft).

For games of all sorts, Steam is the place to go (mostly thanks to frequent sales), but for flightsims, I want to stay as close to the developer as possible.

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
It depends. MSFS is a huge program, and the Windows Store is a bit unreliable. If downloads and updates are handled by Steam, then I'd go with them. Steam downloading works well, and their Library function stores the program forever. If Steam simply takes your money, and Microsoft handles all program downloads anyways, then MS is the way to go.

In all cases, the streaming aerial imagery will be streamed by Microsoft, and an internet connection and Xbox login required.

Country
france
I will personally go on steam, its easy to install/uninstall games, but thats my personal preferences ;)

Country
unitedkingdom
My only concern is if I buy an add-on in a steam sale, will it work with non-Steam MSFS?
I suspect yes.

Yes, I have a preference.
I will buy neither for the time being.
When you look at some newly uploaded YouTube videos of MSFS2020 you will find that most of the airports and scenery are still FSX like and although landclass and such has been improved, it still is not in a long way what they show in their promotional stuff..
Especially because there is a setting where it keeps track of your used Mb's/Gb's (I wonder why that is?) and the lack of an SDK and no AI.
I will not be lured into a pre-order for it.

Country
us-california
When you look at some newly uploaded YouTube videos of MSFS2020 you will find that most of the airports and scenery are still FSX like and although landclass and such has been improved, it still is not in a long way what they show in their promotional stuff..
Especially because there is a setting where it keeps track of your used Mb's/Gb's (I wonder why that is?) and the lack of an SDK and no AI.

Most recent promotional material comes directly from beta testers and news outlets, and was taken directly in-game. No false advertising. It all looks just as good as the trailers.

Since the scenery is streamed and many people need to stay under a particular bandwidth limit every month, of course there's a usage tracker.

There is AI, and there will be an SDK at or sometime after launch.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Thanks guys - can we stay on topic. Fair enough if you don't want to purchase it now (or ever). There are plenty of reasons not to be an early adopter. My question is focussed on the best provider which I guess is not dependent on when you actually buy it , if you do.

Country
france
Thanks guys - can we stay on topic. Fair enough if you don't want to purchase it now (or ever). There are plenty of reasons not to be an early adopter. My question is focussed on the best provider which I guess is not dependent on when you actually buy it , if you do.

I personnaly go for Steam, its more practical for me, its will all my other games, Install are easy etc. instead of having MS Store for JUST 1 program... thats not good for business.

So, if you are a Steam User, go for it :) (if you are a MS Store User, Go for MS Store ;) )

Country
unitedkingdom
My only concern is if I buy an add-on in a steam sale, will it work with non-Steam MSFS?
I suspect yes.

I have similar concerns, i.e. if I buy items via one site/medium will they be compatible if the sim was bought via another site/medium? For instance, this used to be an issue with DCS, though it now seems to have been resolved (at least I've bought Steam addons and installed them in non-Steam DCS).

I'm also wondering if buying from one vs. the other will impede the ability to modify the sim and/or install freeware addons and utilities from independent developers (e.g. people around these parts)...?

Vitus

Resource contributor
Country
newzealand
I found this here:

I wouldn't...

ACHTUNG!

Zusätzlich wird ein DVD-Laufwerk an Ihrem PC benötigt. Zum Download des Produktes liegt ein Download Code und DVDs in der Box. Damit Sie den Microsoft Flight Simulator spielen können, müssen Sie die CD Nr. 1 im DVD-Laufwerk haben!!
You need to have DVD1 in your drive for it to run. That's so 1990s :rolleyes:

Vitus

Resource contributor
Country
newzealand
old doesn't mean obsolete.
No, you're right. But it would still be a weird choice to pick up the DVDs. To get the most of the sim, you need a good internet connection anyway, plus, there will be updates of considerable size as we progress. What benefits does the box bring?

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
I think a rather marginal internet bandwidth would still be alright. And there is an underlying 'traditional' landclass/vector scenery. Internet connection would be needed for Xbox user verification, streaming photoreal, real time AI, live weather, multiplayer...

All that said, the DVD would be an odd option for modern usage. As noted, some modern computers don't even have a DVD input anymore.