FSX Question about the photosceneries

Hello guys

I have a very newbie question :p about the photoreal sceneries, is recommendable to use photoreal sceneries made in Gmax (in my case it covers the airport area only) and the photosceneries made with SBuilderX/Resample (it covers all the airport and the city area) all together? or do I need only the SBuilderX/Resample photoscenery?

Thanks and sorry if my question is very newbie :eek:

Hi,

I guess this question is reasonable because it refers to a basic consideration about the conception of aerial design.

As usual the answer is not really unidimensional: "It depends..."

Aside from a pure technical perspective and in theory FSX offers the possibility to use very high resolution pictures for photo sceneries. But due to the hardware capabilities most designers are compressing the used source pictures during the resampling process else the resulting bgl-files would have a tremendous size. And according to this compression the crisp pictures which are the source for the compilation get lost to a certain degree. As a result the photos appear not really sharp enouth when you are moving around the airportground.

For example: in my current project I am using georeferenced photos with a resolution of 25 cm which is fairly good (and eventually affordable because this kind of photos has it's price depending on the region). If I was resampling the pictures without any compression the resulting bgl would have a size of about 2,5 GB or even more (considering that in addition to the genuine photo I have to make seasonal variations, land- and watermask, blend mask and night variations). So most designers use a compression rate of 80 to 90 pct. to keep the files small enough.

The advantage to use photos with the common procedure as described in the FSX SDK is that the resulting files follow the surface according to the used mesh.

It is not advised to generate a regional mesh with GMAX (which of course would allow to use photos without compression).

So "normally" a compromise is made by most designers: they are using compressed photos for the area outside the airport, and they are using GMAX made ground-polygons for the airport itself (where this method requires a flattened underground - or better an underground which follows the pure curvature of the earth).

To mix the approaches of course means a higher complexity because the adjustment of the GMAX made ground polygons sometimes is a mess, but the advantage is obvious: to really achieve "state of the art" sharpness of concrete and asphalt and of markings there is no way around the GMAX approach.

So as I said: "It depends on what you really want".

I hope this reply is helpful.

regards

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi,

As Gianni says, for FSX I tend to use resample more and GMax less. For an airport you can create a resample BGL at higher resolution. The custom ground polygons are only used then to place the aprons and taxiways, but not for the photo.

I see, I was confused because I always use gmax for photoscenery in FS9

So in FSX, I only need the resample for both photosceneries, ok

Hello again

I recently compiled with resample the two photosceneries (the one with the city/airport area and the other with the airport area), checked with the TmfViewer, it looks fine, installed them in FSX addon scenery folder, but I only can see the city/airport photoscenery area, I can't see the airport photoscenery area :confused:

Here the two .inf files contain

Airport and city

[Source]
Type = MultiSource
NumberOfSources = 2

[Source1]
Type = BMP
Layer = Imagery
SourceDir = "Fuentes"
SourceFile = "MaiquetiaFotoreal.BMP"
Variation = All
Channel_BlendMask = 2.0
ulyMap = 10.634748638888889
ulxMap = -67.1487808227539
xDim = 4.29153442382813E-05
yDim = 4.22447899299766E-05

[Source2]
Type = TIFF
Layer = None
SourceDir = "Fuentes"
SourceFile = "MaiquetiaFotoreal_B.TIF"
SamplingMethod = Gaussian
ulyMap = 10.634748638888889
ulxMap = -67.1487808227539
xDim = 4.29153442382813E-05
yDim = 4.22447899299766E-05

[Destination]
DestDir = "Escenarios"
DestBaseFileName = "MaiquetiaFotoreal"
DestFileType = BGL
LOD = Auto
CompressionQuality = 85

Airport only

[Source]
Type = MultiSource
NumberOfSources = 2

[Source1]
Type = BMP
Layer = Imagery
SourceDir = "Fuentes"
SourceFile = "SVMIFotoreal.BMP"
Variation = All
Channel_BlendMask = 2.0
ulyMap = 10.60616
ulxMap = -67.01426
xDim = 6.85265775567253E-06
yDim = 6.64610207515369E-06

[Source2]
Type = TIFF
Layer = None
SourceDir = "Fuentes"
SourceFile = "SVMIFotoreal_B.TIF"
SamplingMethod = Gaussian
ulyMap = 10.60616
ulxMap = -67.01426
xDim = 6.85265775567253E-06
yDim = 6.64610207515369E-06

[Destination]
DestDir = "Escenarios"
DestBaseFileName = "SVMIFotoreal"
DestFileType = BGL
LOD = 18
CompressionQuality = 85

I don't know if I did something wrong while I was making the code :confused:

hcornea

Resource contributor
In TmfViewer does MaiquetiaFotoreal.bgl include ALL LODs up to 17 ?

I note you have only compiled the airport scenery at LOD 18, so at lower LOD values it will not be visible. If there is a gap between the two LOD components in the two files, there will be a LOD value where no photoscenery appears.

Check that the compiled values are continuous through LOD 16,17 and 18

Hi hcornea

In TmfViewer does MaiquetiaFotoreal.bgl include ALL LODs up to 17 ?
Sorry, I don't know how to verify that :p:D

EDIT: Checked the LODs from View - Level of Detail and only are in the list:

Auto (Standard) (selected)
Auto (Progressive)
All
LOD 3
LOD 4
LOD 5
LOD 6
LOD 7
LOD 8
LOD 9
LOD 10
LOD 11
LOD 12
LOD 13

I note you have only compiled the airport scenery at LOD 18, so at lower LOD values it will not be visible. If there is a gap between the two LOD components in the two files, there will be a LOD value where no photoscenery appears.
Yes, the SVMIFotoreal.bgl file (LOD 18) is the one that isn't visible in FSX, the other bgl file (I set the LOD to Auto) is the only one I can see in the FSX

Check that the compiled values are continuous through LOD 16,17 and 18
Sorry, I don't understand, I have to change the LOD of the MaiquetiaFotoreal.bgl from Auto to 16, 17 or 18, right??

I'm not very expert with the Resample and the FSX photosceneries :rolleyes:

Last edited: