• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Questions and Answers - Forest Help

Country
us-vermont
Can Forest use autogen Class or just autogen Objects?

Scenproc allows you to use autogen vegetation class, so the vegetation looks more natural. I tried using a class GUID and it shows it as populating within the Forest program but they don't show up during flight.

Country
us-washington
Can Forest use autogen Class or just autogen Objects?

Scenproc allows you to use autogen vegetation class, so the vegetation looks more natural. I tried using a class GUID and it shows it as populating within the Forest program but they don't show up during flight.

Forest is object based. There is no support for autogen classes.

Country
unitedkingdom
Can someone help me, I have already made a project and it worked great! But when I try and place trees now it only draws the trees in lines like below, where have I gone wrong?

Attachments

• upload_2016-12-18_11-4-31.png
    upload_2016-12-18_11-4-31.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 746
Country
sweden
Hi,

Now that I finally put every tree in place I tried to run forester, but it finished at 0 % with this message: Input string was not in a correct format.
What could be the problem? I added an additional manual tree group, but I checked all parameters twice, there is no error there. And If I remove it from the def file, forester still brings up this error message.

Thanks for any help.

Country
sweden
Ok, I sorted it out.
There were commas as decimal separators for coordinates instead of dots. And I also had to change it in the regional settings in windows (decimal separator from comma to dot).
Now it works :)

Country
sweden
Well it seems it's only me who uses Forester right now, but at least I give feedback :)

So now the next problem (or weird behaviour):
After putting the generated bgl files in the scenery folder and loaded up the sim (p3d v3), I obtained very low fps (below 5). Ok, I thought 300.000+ trees would be too much, but here comes the weird part.
When slewing up to about 1000 ft, fps suddenly increases back to normal (25-35 for my setup). And the change is really sudden as if there was an invisible scenery barrier or something. And doing it while the trees are still there. So it's not the vast number of trees that causes the fps drop but something else.
Anyone else experienced this?

I'll try now with much less trees and maybe decreasing the autogen complexity, we'll see if it helps.

Update:
I did some tests.
Only putting the smallest BGL in the scenery folder: good fps on ground
Increasing the amount and size of BGL's in the folder: after a few files (few MB in total) the ground fps is way too low (under 5). Putting back even more, fps is under 1 (yeah, it's almost just a still picture)
Playing with the scenery complexity slider: decreasing it to normal or dense only helps with few bgl's (trees), even the very sparse setting is not helping with all the trees. Yeah, I have hundreds of thousands on my big photoscenery, so I guess I have to make them way less dense...
But the question still remains: why is it perfect above a certain height (800-1000 ft) even with so many trees, and why does fps suddenly drop to almost 0 below this altitude??
I attach two screenshots with the fps counter in the corner.Screenshot (33).pngScreenshot (34).png

Last edited:
Country
sweden
Can it be that the objects this tool places have more detail levels, so when you are closer to ground, they are drawn with a higher polygon count or something?
Otherwise I just can't explain this weird behaviour.

Update:
After I went through every cfg settings and tried deactivating other sceneries and swithing on and off several parameters and options I can conclude that there is something with the tree models this tool places. Even let it generate a fresh and new cfg to see how it behaves with default settings.
I have Orbx Global / LC Europe and FTX trees HD and there is absolutely no performance drop when displaying those kind of objects on the terrain surrounding my photoscenery area). But as soon as these trees come in sight, below 1000 ft the sim basically gives up and the slideshow begins. Above this elevation everything is normal as if the trees were not there. But in fact they are there, tens or even hundreds of thousands... (the area is heavily forested, this is why I was so happy for this tool)

I don't know if Eric, the developer is still around but I think he is the one, who could know more about this issue. Is there a difference these trees are saved in the bgl files, so they behave differently than normal autogen trees? Aren't the models and their textures exactly the same?

Update 2:
Just for the record I managed to solve the problem by drastically reducing the amount of trees planted by the forester tool. My scenery has about 600.000 trees in total, and by planting only 10-15% of it seem to work. The frame rate still drops a bit when flying low, close to the trees, but not to an unflyable level as before. It seems that there is a hard limit on trees loaded with one scenery, possibly well under 100.000, but it could also depend on the computer config.

Last edited: