• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Quick Way to UPDATE textures

Howdy. I'm wondering if anyone knows of a way to quickly update the textures of a custom object without having to reload the sim? For example, in X-Plane there was a window called texture browser that allowed us to "reload" the texture on the fly. Has anyone found a trick like this in MS2020? Thanks.

-PEACE FARM

Hi. What I do is the following:
  1. Build package
  2. Close scenery Editor window (make sure you have saved scenery before you close)
  3. Reload Scenery Editor and reload asset group
Unfortunately it's not as fast as in X-Plane.

Hi. What I do is the following:
  1. Build package
  2. Close scenery Editor window (make sure you have saved scenery before you close)
  3. Reload Scenery Editor and reload asset group
Unfortunately it's not as fast as in X-Plane.
Thanks. Would you mind sharing where "reload asset group" is?

In the scenery editor, basically to bring back all of your saved scenery and load it back into the sim

Attachments

• asset.jpg
    asset.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 81
I can't seem to get this working. I'm just adding custom textures to put onto aprons. I have a working material lib and tried to make changes to some of my texture files. No matter what I do I can't get them to update.

I've deleted them from the material editor, from the bitmap manager, restarted the sim, closed and reopened my project, build project. When I create a new material and add the texture the old image is loaded. It's as-if the sim is caching the old file somewhere and not loading the updated one...

So I'm not exactly sure how it works, but, basically, it seems like it puts the file somewhere in it's library stuff. The only way I've found to change the texture is to copy it to a new name, like Parkingline-2.png, edit the texture, and select the new texture file. And if you try renaming it back to the old name, it'll go get the old file :rolleyes:

This has worked for me every time.

So I'm not exactly sure how it works, but, basically, it seems like it puts the file somewhere in it's library stuff. The only way I've found to change the texture is to copy it to a new name, like Parkingline-2.png, edit the texture, and select the new texture file. And if you try renaming it back to the old name, it'll go get the old file :rolleyes:

This has worked for me every time.
I found a possible way around it: in the MSFS install directory there is LocalCache/$PC$/... which has folders corresponding to my projects directory and contains what looks to be a cached version of my texture files. Deleting these files seems to allow you to reload any changes to the textures.

Bit hacky though and I couldn't get it working every time.

If you were building a plane, and you were using the 'Project Folder' location method till you have it finished, you would go into the aircraft editor and click 'Resync'. That should do it.

You might be able to do this with Scenery Editor, though I do not know if it has a 'Resync' option. (I build planes, not scenery, so havent tried that yet with scenery).

Bill