FSXA RAF Brüggen redu_X

Hi everybody,

I did a mistake and put my hands on RAF Brüggen (former FS9 version) after needing a "change of scenery" with RAF Gütersloh so far. So for over a month, I am currently reconstructing RAF Brüggen with a solid progress - updates of RAF Gütersloh promised, but just caught on the RAF Brüggen_X project....

F747fly

Resource contributor
NO WAY! That's the (inactive) air base near Elmpt right?! awsome! I just recognize those hangars... loving it!

F747fly

Resource contributor
If you need help with some 3D models or textures or something (or if you need testers) I'd love to help!

Thank's for offer, mate. I'm afraid you will be annoyed by my dragging procedure, but I can use help indeed as follows (both at Brüggen and Gütersloh as well):

- seasonal textures by using SODE
- truly working approach lights (not familiar with Airfield Light Toolbox)

Oh, well, and for sure help with groundpolygons to reduce the progress time. With that I mean taxiways and roads at Brüggen primarily - for grass areas I would use my RAF Gütersloh technique again.

F747fly

Resource contributor
Thank's for offer, mate. I'm afraid you will be annoyed by my dragging procedure, but I can use help indeed as follows (both at Brüggen and Gütersloh as well):

- seasonal textures by using SODE
- truly working approach lights (not familiar with Airfield Light Toolbox)

Oh, well, and for sure help with groundpolygons to reduce the progress time. With that I mean taxiways and roads at Brüggen primarily - for grass areas I would use my RAF Gütersloh technique again.
Okay! Well I've send you a PM :)

Some shots of Brüggen buildings today.

Try to manage the textures by using same sheets for several buildings. Works fine so far, I have to make a little compromise in real buildings texture appearance though...

Here's an example for two different buildings but same basic structure using the same texture sheet:

The Main Hangar uses the same sheet as the curved hangar above....

...and here half sized and with some other added details one of the big warehouses:

Using this technique, I can save time while designing and performance....

Same here, the fire station

...and one of the center hangars...

The fire station is missing its tower mate and the doors would rarely be closed as the trucks (mk11's) didn't fit and stuck out by 6ft.
Paul

Welcome aboard, Paul!!!! That's nice to have an expert here - I never had been there at all, so each hint is much appreaciate! I only have some restrictions in texturizing (because of using same sheets as mentioned above...) When had the new tower part been built? I assumed it had been added around mid 1990? So if earlier, it's no problem to add it. The represented era of the air base is the 1980s - not sure yet if I can use AI Tornados and Phantoms as well (F-4 era was 70s, right?)
That pic provides the basis for the model:

Hi,

does anybody know the correct squadron assignment for RAF Bruggen, please? We have 4 areas and I would like to know how the 4 squadrons exactly were based there:

Okay, got it

GoogleEarth has an option to show fotos, galleries etc. Clicking those options shows the squadrons as follows, to all those who are interested in:

Top left (north west side): 31 Sqn
Top right (north east side): 17 Sqn
Bottom left (south west side): 9 Sqn/earlier 20 Sqn
Bottom right (south east side): 14 Sqn

Thank you all.

I ascertained that creating this huge forest area arount the air base is a challenge. To get an impression of dense vegetation by performance in mind, I used following technique:

Not sure how it will look like when I will go without the photo ground - maybe I have to recreate the big tree planes by adding a third plane with top view trees texture....Let's see....
Here it's shown in the sim:

jtanabodee

Resource contributor
Those trees are great. I was wondering how it looks from the air from many view angles.
Is the fps better than autogen? I think it is better since less polygons are used.

Last edited:
That's correct. I'm not quite sure if this will do the job until all trees are set though. But looking around on the ground, I am satisfied so far: