• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

P3D v4 Rain inside hangar vs rain inside airplane

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

That's an interesting question. I think the sim knows when you are inside the cockpit based on the mode of the simulation, I don't think the model has specific information for that. Now that makes me wonder what the sim would do if you fly an aircraft with an open cockpit :)

gfxpilot

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Hi,

That's an interesting question. I think the sim knows when you are inside the cockpit based on the mode of the simulation, I don't think the model has specific information for that. Now that makes me wonder what the sim would do if you fly an aircraft with an open cockpit :)

I think it would probably use the same protocol as the fsx trike. If I remember it simulates rain on pilot goggles in the same mannner as a cockpit screen

Country
indonesia
yes, there a SimConnect that can find out where view you are in.
in SDK about: SimConnect_SubscribeToSystemEvent and view in the General System Event Name column.

I haven't tried it, but maybe defining a platform under the roof (or defining the roof a platform) might help?

Country
unitedstates
I know this is an old post, but wondering if anyone has resolved this yet? I'll assume (yes, I know) that the reason it doesn't rain in the cockpit is your using a different model, and for some reason the sim KNOWS your in the cockpit when you use the "interior" model. Which still begs the question, is there a way to stop the rain inside of a hangar?

TB2

Country
us-illinois
Hi TB:

Ed Wells opened a thread which stimulated an interesting discussion on this issue of how 'Rain' is rendered ...here:

I don't know if this has been resolved for FS2Kx / FSX / P3D, but it 'may' have been resolved for MSFS-2020 via "Environmental Occlusions".

AFAIK, pre-MSFS 'Rain' is a Effect *.Fx file rendered local to a aircraft.

Perhaps attaching a BGLComp "Effect" exclusion to a non-textured platform object (...a quasi-terrain ubject type of some sort ?) placed onto the roof of a hangar may stop precipitation inside Hangars ? :scratchch

GaryGB

Last edited:
Country
unitedstates
Thank you for the reply. I'll continue to investigate this, (but don't feel too hopeful). IF I come up with a solution (for P3D at least), I'll post it here

TB2