• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Realistic night texture

Hi,
I'm working on a project to simulate night environment. And it is based on thermal satellite imagery of that city. The map is like this.

Uploaded with ImageShack.com

As you can see some area are brighter and some area darker.
The default FSX texture doesn't take into account this information so you have a repetitive glowy area, like this:

baltnightdefault.jpg

it is not realistic .specially when you look at them from high altitude .the city 'night mapping should be look like this :
article-2298451-18E1CB90000005DC-511_634x420.jpg

Now some developers have come up with some solution to make up for this by adding some vector roads to eliminate the repetitive pattern, for example, by adding the vector data to the above picture we have a more realistic night.
baltnightmega.jpg

Now as I said before I worked on the structure of city lights, and I think I made some progress to solve the problem. Here are a few screen shots and video from my work on a city in the UK

[youtube]UCExcPH0_a4&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]

So guys, what is your opinion on my textures?

Very beautiful.
But I still don't get how this is done.
There is no straight-forward explanation, actually you need to study the law of light distribution ,light pollution, watch many unfiltered images of the city in the night, knowing a little about Photoshop, and...
there is no way you can achieve the same result without going through topics I mentioned above otherwise you have to work by guessing and the best result you will get is a beautiful scenery not arealistic one.
If you look closely at my last picture, you'll see different colors and brightness and road's types.
Most of them follow the rule of light distribution. I liked to explain the concepts and procedures, but because I'm going to make a commercial project of night texture for whole UK, I can'can't do it now.sorry.
However, if you like I can get you the BGL file to test it, to see how it looks like it FSX.

Last edited:

jtanabodee

Resource contributor
Country
thailand
So it is a photoshop work, not automatically done by the GIS information or something.
It must be a time consuming work then.

Last edited:

Dutcheeseblend

Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
I'm sitting in a train right now, and I'm experiencing how close your approach to night lighting is to reality.

Keep it going, very nice!

BTW, is there also some time-based variation in lighting? Or remains it the same from sunset to sunrise?

I'm sitting in a train right now, and I'm experiencing how close your approach to night lighting is to reality.

Keep it going, very nice!

BTW, is there also some time-based variation in lighting? Or remains it the same from sunset to sunrise?
I think there are some time-based variations, but it is not specific to my scenery. The lights start to shine from sunset to sunrise.

Hi guys
I changed some setting of the roads and captured the new video:
[youtube]yjSr820llBk[/youtube]
how do you compare the first video with this one?