• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FS2004 Really? no other way?

Country
southafrica
Ok, I am busy making photorealistic scenery, and adding autogen to the scenery. Now, I am using the autogen annotator, tile by tile, but the issue is, my town is more than 50 tiles. Is there no other way I could add autogen than opening the tiles one by one?

Thanks so long,

Jakes

Country
unitedstates
There's an app called "Autotrees Beta" that will do some automatic tree placement for you, I've used it, it sorta works, but what I've found is the quickest method is to save an arrangement of trees in Notepad, believe it or not.

The idea is to fill up an entire 256x256 tile with tiny veg rectangles, very small rectangles, as small as the annotator will allow. Spread them out and keep an eye on the lower right status bar so that you don't exceed 600 trees on a single tile. Now do the selection rectangle thing selecting all of them and press Ctrl+C, open Notepad and paste, save.

When you open the next tile to be annotated, Ctrl+A, Ctrl+C the entire Notepad document and then right click in the annotator to paste the entire tile full of trees in one whack.

At this point annotation becomes a process of deletion rather than addition. Select and delete the trees from open areas, housing, etc. You'll still have to annotate all your houses which is a pain in itself, but if you have outlying areas in your photoreal that are primarily forested the Notepad trick can save you a lot of time.

I attached a txt file that contains 599 tree placements to save you some trouble.

Jim

Attachments

• agn_trees.txt
    35.1 KB · Views: 575
Country
southafrica
Awesome. Thanks very much! I guess there is no way to open a series of tiles at once?
I will defenitely make use of your method. Thank you!

Country
unitedstates
I guess there is no way to open a series of tiles at once?

In FSX you can do the entire photoreal at once but I'm afraid in FS9 it's tile by tile.

You may look into the Autotrees program. You can download it at Avsim. It will walk through 300 tiles in just a few seconds, and you can still re-open the annotated tiles with the annotator and fix the screw-ups, add buildings, etc. Just make sure you set the tree planting density to 600 or less or you'll wind up with bare strips in the sim. Personally I think it makes the veg rectangles too big, but it does work to a degree.

Jim

Country
southafrica
Thanks, the tree autogen program is working quite well! But I see it does not place houses and buildings? what is the requirements for it to work? I notice the trees scan for green areas. Does houses need to be another color?

hcornea

Resource contributor
Country
australia
Perhaps the clue is in the title "Tree Autogen Program" ;)

Country
southafrica
Thanks, just thought maybe it could do more, as it have buildings sliders ect as well.