• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Recap on Downloading SBuilder X

Country
us-michigan
Old time user. Bought new computer. Win 10. Using Steam version. Own CD Pro version with SDK. I forgot if I need the SDK to place imagery? Downloaded the Zip from PTSIM, would that be the right version? Unzipped. Placed in Program Files. Tried to EXE, but got this error. Any help Appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• 1.PNG
    1.PNG
    24.9 KB · Views: 144
Country
us-illinois
Old time user. Bought new computer. Win 10. Using Steam version. Own CD Pro version with SDK. I forgot if I need the SDK to place imagery? Downloaded the Zip from PTSIM, would that be the right version? Unzipped. Placed in Program Files. Tried to EXE, but got this error. Any help Appreciated. Thanks.

Hi Chris:

Is this the computer you are referring to ?

Hi Gary,
I'm using v16
I have a newer computer.
I7 4810MQ CPU
2.80 GHz
16 G Ram

Also having another issue, before this is figured out. Look at latest post.

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/help-hues-all-messed-up.450948/#post-870317

If the computer cited above is the one you are referring to, then you have a Quad core CPU using Windows 10 (64-Bit).

BTW: Which manufacturer's make and model number of NoteBook computer are you using: HP, Dell, Lenovo, etc. ?

FYI: That computer will require use of Dick's "Full" ZIP package SBuilderX version 3.15 for Windows 10 (64-Bit):

...from this thread:

[EDITED]

CAVEAT: I believe it would be best to get the P3Dv1.4x SDK installed and configured properly first, before attempting to install SBuilderX, or IMHO, you will likely continue to have a long sequence of error troubleshooting.

I suggest: :idea:

1.) ZIP a backup archive copy of any existing SBuilderX folder chain using a "Preserve Relative Folder Structure" option, before uninstalling SBuilderX.

2.) You can download the LM-P3Dv1.4x SDK installer (required for SBuilderX use with either FSX DVD or FSX Steam version) ...here:

a.) Install the P3Dv1.4x SDK installer executable by right-clicking and choosing "Run as Administrator"

b.) Follow any / all prompts to allow it to run to completion and configure its whereabouts in the Windows Registry

Here is a downloadable installer of some MS VB6 files SBuilderX requires for use in Windows 10:

NOTE: The above MS VB6 installer automatically "registers" the included code libraries with no need to manually run 'RegSrvr32' etc. :wizard:

Important info for Installing the "Full" SBuilderX ZIP file:

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/sbx-install-problem.443859/post-808690

NOTE: This is a stand-alone package, and is NOT to be used to over-write any prior existing SBuilderX installation folder chain. :alert:

1.) Un-ZIP the SBuilderX315.ZIP file / folder archive to somewhere outside the C:\users folder chain (ex: C:\SBuilderX315 or D:\SBuilderX315)

2.) Follow any / all prompts to allow it to run to completion and configure its whereabouts in the Windows Registry

3.) Configure the "Full Path" to the various files as required by the SBuilderX configuration dialog box.

4.) When that installation / configuration is finished, run SBuilderX as Administrator to see if it is able to run properly

5.) Report any SBuilderX errors in this thread.

Let me know if you intend to create 3D Generic buildings, and I will post info on SDK files in LM-P3Dv1.4x SDK, that SBuilderX requires to make MDLs for FSX.

You may need to install FSUIPC; the web page for updated modules shows the current version to be used with FSX_SE:

https://forum.simflight.com/topic/80977-updated-modules/

Note: the above updates may require an existing full install of FSUIPC to work; get those here:

http://www.fsuipc.com/

FSUIPC FAQ's are here:

https://forum.simflight.com/forum/141-faq/

Links on troubleshooting FSUIPC with SBuilderX:

https://www.google.com/search?biw=9...&ved=0ahUKEwjjk62xyN7pAhUZCs0KHQgVDusQ4dUDCAs

[END_EDIT]

GaryGB

Last edited:
Country
us-michigan
Wow, seems like a lot of work! I don't remember doing all of that to run it with my old computer. Is it more difficult to run on Win 10?
Computer Model: Dell Latitude E6540
I'll dig into these. If something comes up I'll let you know.
Are all of these download links safe? I don't have the most up to date Virus protection.

Country
us-illinois
Are all of these download links safe? I don't have the most up to date Virus protection.

Yes, I believe you can trust the above cited SBuilderX version 3.15 "Full" ZIP file placed onto the secure Google Drive site by Rhumbaflappy for download.

The Google message for the linked SBuilderX version 3.15 "Full" ZIP is only to indicate that its size is too big for the Google default scanner to process.

Although YMMV on the internet, I believe that the built-in Windows 10 security apps and Firewall, as well as use of free versions of Malwarebytes' WFC (aka "Windows Firewall Control"), Anti-malware, and AdwCleaner products will meet the needs of 'most' computer users' activities. :idea:

When needed, other special free anti-malware / anti-viral tools can be downloaded via:

Feel free to install Malwarebytes and manually pre-scan the downloaded SBuilderX version 3.15 "Full" ZIP file before you un-ZIP and install it. ;)

NOTE: These applications have free access to- and/or automatically retrieve- downloads of current anti-malware / anti-viral data sets ...before scanning.

GaryGB

Last edited:
Country
us-michigan
Not understanding:

2.) Follow any / all prompts to allow it to run to completion and configure its whereabouts in the Windows Registry

3.) Configure the "Full Path" to the various files as required by the SBuilderX configuration dialog box.

When opened it asked me if I wanted to do something about Terrain something or other. I ok it. SBX opens. I put in my coordinates and the show background isn't highlighted. I switched the tiles around, but nothing.

Country
us-illinois
Not understanding:

P3Dv1.4x SDK file cited above is an auto-installer; unlike prior SDK versions, it will automatically do all that it needs to do, so 'some' FS utilities can find it.

If you ran the P3Dv1.4x SDK installer to completion, you need not be concerned about whether it is done being 'configured' on your computer.

SBuilderX Menu > Edit > FSX Settings dialog fields should automatically populate if P3Dv1.4x SDK is installed before SBuilderX is installed.

If your info is not auto-populated to match your own installation location of FSX, or has errors copying SDK files to [SBuilderX install path]\Tools folder, let me know and we can try to troubleshoot that issue.

This example shows how my own SBuilderX Menu > Edit > FSX Settings dialog field looks:

sbuilderx_edit_fsx_settings_dialog_example-jpg.71620

When opened it asked me if I wanted to do something about Terrain something or other. I ok it. SBX opens. I put in my coordinates and the show background isn't highlighted. I switched the tiles around, but nothing.

SBuilderX by default installs a Modified Terrain.Cfg and makes a backup of the default FSX original; this is useful for most FSX developers to allow.

So, with both P3Dv1.4x SDK and FSUIPC pre-installed:

1.) Start FSX with your aircraft at the desired location.

2.) Start SBuilderX

3.) SBuilderX Menu > View > Show Aircraft

4.) SBuilderX Menu > View > Show Background (tiles should now appear); pan / zoom to desired level at aircraft location.

5.) SBuilderX Menu > File > Properties > edit Project name field, and assign a project name (ex: ICAO with initials as is done by ADE etc.)

6.) SBuilderX Menu > File > Save Project As (use Project name assigned above); save it as a *.SBP file

If you have further questions, let me know. :)

GaryGB

Attachments

• SBuilderX_Edit_FSX_Settings_Dialog_Example.jpg
    SBuilderX_Edit_FSX_Settings_Dialog_Example.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 470
Last edited:
Country
us-michigan
All of the Paths seem correct. Tried what you said, but came up with this error.

Attachments

• Show.PNG
    Show.PNG
    11.7 KB · Views: 115
Country
us-michigan
Also, My SBX is on Desktop. My computer does that One Drive thing. Wasn't sure if that was an issue?

Attachments

• Paths.PNG
    Paths.PNG
    129.9 KB · Views: 142
Country
us-illinois
Also, My SBX is on Desktop. My computer does that One Drive thing. Wasn't sure if that was an issue?

Use Windows 10 File Explorer (aka "My Computer/ "Computer" / "This PC") to move the current \SBX315 Desktop sub-folder and all its nested sub-folders from the path shown in your screenshot above into the root of the C:\ drive, so it becomes C:\SBX315 instead.

GaryGB

Country
us-michigan
Use Windows 10 File Explorer (aka "My Computer/ "Computer" / "This PC") to move the current \SBX315 Desktop sub-folder and all its nested sub-folders from the path shown in your screenshot above into the root of the C:\ drive, so it becomes C:\SBX315 instead.

GaryGB
I'll do that. Thanks.

Country
us-illinois
I don't have the Beta version of FSX SE. A little confused. SBX worked fine on my Win 8 computer without that installed.
Please, for both our sakes, install FSUIPC as I recommended above.

The FSUIPC installer for FSX will also work for your version of FSX_SE.

FSUIPC is required to connect with FSX (DVD or Steam Edition) to read and write FS aircraft Geographic location data.

That FSX data is required to make it easier to use SBuilderX in creating Geo-referenced scenery projects that allow downloading of image tiles into the SBuilderX work-space as a background map ...which you indicated above was your goal.

I do not recommend that you attempt to manually center and zoom the SBuilderX global world map only with the 'Magnifying Glass Tool' prior to downloading tiles for a local background map, as it will not create a project that can be saved and used for a full scope of scenery building operations.

Instead, create and save a SBuilderX project, after first positioning the aircraft in FSX so that SBuilderX can capture the data from FSX via FSUIPC.

Then your background map will be centered and ready for tile downloads.

If you follow the detailed sequence of steps I posted above for using SBuilderX, you should not incur the challenges that we are now trying to resolve. ;)

GaryGB

Last edited:
Country
us-michigan
Please, for both our sakes, install FSUIPC as I recommended above.

The FSUIPC installer for FSX will also work for your version of FSX_SE.

FSUIPC is required to connect with FSX (DVD or Steam Edition) to read and write FS aircraft Geographic location data.

That FSX data is required to make it easier to use SBuilderX in creating Geo-referenced scenery projects that allow downloading of image tiles into the SBuilderX work-space as a background map ...which you indicated above was your goal.

I do not recommend that you attempt to manually center and zoom the global world map prior to downloading tiles for a local background map, as it will not create a project that can be saved and used for a full scope of scenery building operations.

Instead, create a SBuilderX project after first positioning the aircraft in FSX so that SBuilderX can capture the data from FSX via FSUIPC.

Then your background map will be centered and ready for tile downloads.

If you follow the detailed séquence of steps I originally posted for you above when using SBuilderX, you should not incur the challenges that we are now trying to resolve. ;-)

GaryGB
Any specific place that it to be put? A little hard to understand the PDF that comes with it. I did change the place of SBX.

Country
us-illinois
Any specific place that it to be put? A little hard to understand the PDF that comes with it. I did change the place of SBX.

If one reads both PDF files dated January 2021 within the currently available FSUIPC4.ZIP file containing FSUIPC version 4.976:

http://fsuipc.simflight.com/beta/FSUIPC4.zip

Important notes for FSX-SE users

...and:

Installing and Registering FSUIPC4

...after extracting FSUIPC4.ZIP file into a folder, one may right-click on "Install FSUIPC4.exe" and select "Run As Administrator".

FSUIPC will automatically find any / all FSX locations, and create any required folders, into which it then will install and configure itself.

Thus, if FSX_SE is already installed, you should not need to concern yourself with what folder location may be required for FSUIPC. ;)

If you are not certain as to whether or not you installed the FSX_SE Beta, I would first try installing FSUIPC anyway to see if installation fails.

If your installation into FSX_SE fails because you installed the FSX_SE Beta, refer to the instructions in "Important notes for FSX-SE users". :pushpin:

[EDITED]

FYI: This is just one of the numerous reasons I consider use of FSX_SE an invitation to trouble. :alert:

Personally, I would only install FSX DVDs for Deluxe followed by Acceleration (whether from original RTM DVD's or from the FSX Gold DVD set).

AFAIK, one can add all optimizations in FSX_SE by manually editing the DVD version FSX.Cfg file ...and avoid many headaches of using a STEAM product.

BTW: IMHO, installing FSX SDK from DVDs is also an invitation to trouble, so I recommend using LM-P3Dv1.4x SDK download instead of the FSX DVD SDK.

[END_EDIT]

GaryGB

Last edited:
Country
us-michigan
Came up with this:
Don't Run?
Sorry if I'm not understanding.

Attachments

• Run.PNG
    Run.PNG
    35.7 KB · Views: 119
Country
us-illinois
IIRC, when one sees this type of prompt with a known trusted app, click the "More Info" link; one may then choose "Continue" or "Run Anyway".

GaryGB

Last edited:
Country
us-michigan
Sorry, I should of tried that. I come up with this now.

Attachments

• Reg1.PNG
    Reg1.PNG
    98.6 KB · Views: 131
  • Reg2.PNG
    Reg2.PNG
    106 KB · Views: 133
Country
us-michigan
I opened up FSX and the FSUIPC questions came up. I just ok it all. Set my plane at the right location. SBX did set my location right, but would not let me view background.