• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSXA Reflection slot?

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
Arno,... reading the subtitle on the "Use Global environment map as reflection" slot: It reads "This enables the global reflection texture or environment map. If this is unchecked and a custom environment map is used (in the reflection texture slot), then that will be used for reflection."

I haven't seen or haven't located a reflection texture slot. Is this located somewhere or am I missing it somewhere?

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Let me check when I am behind my FS PC again. The text is from the SDK. Maybe I used a different name in the material editor.

What a coincidence.
Just now I was going to ask the same question: where is the reflection texture slot in the MCX material editor?

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
Let me check when I am behind my FS PC again. The text is from the SDK. Maybe I used a different name in the material editor.

Yes I was thinking you did change it... Slot B could be Slot C then?

What a coincidence.
Just now I was going to ask the same question: where is the reflection texture slot in the MCX material editor?

LOL :D I got it first!

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

Not sure how I missed this one before, but I have added it now. So from tomorrow it is available in the development release.

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
Doug,

I do not see any slot B or slot C either!:confused:

LOL :eek: oh well!

Hi,

Not sure how I missed this one before, but I have added it now. So from tomorrow it is available in the development release.

Wow... I glad I said something then... because I was thinking you just renamed it.... Very good though... look forward to it!

Thank you, Arno.

And, Doug, I suppose that by now you will have guessed why I sent you the screenshot without cubemap:)?

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
Thank you, Arno.

And, Doug, I suppose that by now you will have guessed why I sent you the screenshot without cubemap:)?

Yes.. After looking at the FSX SDK and then back to MCX I noticed why. I also noticed when I did look at the SDK, specifically the FSX Material section: The Specular Map with Reflection 3 (the first "Reflection 3"); it mentioned that a alpha channel wasn't needed in the Diffuse Texture. As its mentions, its a cheap way to create chrome or glass.

I tried doing this at first, but through MCX, I was unable to duplicate it. I will try again soon... I was however... able to place a alpha channel on both the diffuse and specular textures and finally got MCX to make it transparent... at least through the previewer. That when I initially noticed the Reflection texture slot missing in MCX.

Still testing a few other things as well... Hopefully will have a full report either through tutorial or message to help things along.

First night I would say,... pretty successfully though!:)

Doug,

Have you managed yet to get this cubic environment map working?
I used Dxtex.exe from the DirectX SDK to make the cube map. Put it in the reflection slot in MCX, added a diffuse texture with grey alpha and a specular one with grey alpha, set specular power to 164 and reflective scale to 80, clicked default transparent and no blending as per the SDK, and now, instead of what I used to have as per my earlier screenshot, I do not see anything, like as if the texture is just not there anymore.

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
Doug,

Have you managed yet to get this cubic environment map working?
I used Dxtex.exe from the DirectX SDK to make the cube map. Put it in the reflection slot in MCX, added a diffuse texture with grey alpha and a specular one with grey alpha, set specular power to 164 and reflective scale to 80, clicked default transparent and no blending as per the SDK, and now, instead of what I used to have as per my earlier screenshot, I do not see anything, like as if the texture is just not there anymore.

No I haven't gotten that far,... I had a busy 2 days (other then FS; How dare the job get in the way ;)). Did you get a transparent surface though?Actually I was going to ask Arno,...

Do we need to place even the environment map (even the default one) within the Reflection texture map.. like it demo'd in the SDK? Especially, if MCX doesn't know if we need the chrome one (for aircraft) or just the default one?

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
Well...

After adding a alpha channel (Gray and/or Black even) to both the Diffuse and Specular Maps.. I still didn't get a Reflection in FSX. My Windows are transparent (Small, Yea!), but not anything from the environment map (non custom)...

Arno, maybe something isn't set right within MCX?

This is what I have set to "True" within Material editor:

Blend Environment by inverse diffuse alpha
Use Global environment map as reflection

Reflection Scale set at 20.

This is based on SDK "Specular Map with Reflection 1".

My Diffuse map is a simple gray with alpha channel: Black
My Specular map is a simple gray with alpha channel: Black

Of course, if anyone else can help I would be happy to listen :)))

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi Doug,

With those settings it sounds like you don't need the specular map at all, since you are using the diffuse alpha for the reflection. Of course that means you must not press the "Set Default Transparent" which uses the diffuse alpha for transparency. If that makes it fully transparent there is not much reflection to see anymore.

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
Hi Doug,

With those settings it sounds like you don't need the specular map at all, since you are using the diffuse alpha for the reflection. Of course that means you must not press the "Set Default Transparent" which uses the diffuse alpha for transparency. If that makes it fully transparent there is not much reflection to see anymore.

Ok... I see what you mean...

I have change it so its not "Set Default Transparent" and now I'm getting the reflection but its not transparent or appears transparent :confused:. It would seem, I can get one or the other, but not both. I guess... I'll see what I can change or manipulate more... any ideas?

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

Now you are using the diffuse alpha for the reflection. That only works if you don't want transparency. You can also the specular alpha for the reflection, that is another option (I forgot the exact name now).

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
Here is the "recipie" I use (see http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21116) :

Blinn Opacity: ~6%

Diffuse Color: 64x64 pixel DDS/DTX5 w/Alpha
Specular Color: (same bitmap as Diffuse!)

FresnelRamp: (one of the defaults or custom)
Diffuse: x
Reflection: x
Specular: x

Special Functionality:
x: Blend diffuse by diffuse alpha
x: Use global environment map as reflection

Reflection Scale: 100%
Specular Map Power Scale: 256

Bloom:
x: Allow bloom
x: No specular bloom

Source Blend: SrcColor
Destination Blend: InvSrcAlpha

Emissive Mode: AdditiveNightOnly

x: Z-Test Alpha

Alpha Test Mode: Always

x: Set final alpha value at render time
Final Alpha Multiply: 255.0

x: Z-Write Alpha

=============================

Sometimes it pays off to look in other forums for possible solutions... :)

Last edited:

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
Thanks Bill...

But on a few of thoses... are not seen within MCX so.... what do I do then?

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
Bill,...

Thanks again ... one question though... Actually a few questions:

What should be the Alpha Test Level set at?

Especially if the Alpha Test Function is "Always on"

Also,... the Blinn Opacity? Is there another term for it?

Thanks again!

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
For good on the test level... Opacity? ok you mean as in transparency? Transparency of ? The Diffuse? Since there isn't a Blinn converter that I have located anywhere besides 3ds ... what do you suggest in reaching that conversion?