Regarding Gmax ground-polys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hy Arno and all.
I have few question about all methods and tutorial available:
-rhumbaflappy (stunning images): use fs9 sdk - no tutorial
-fs2002 asm: a small tutorial by arno

I need only a ground poly,and then i'll put few buldings over (two separated bgl).
What is the best and easy way to do it between the two?
i read that there is an issue with shadow,it's not a problem for me.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi,

I think in general the Fs2002 gamepack is easiest. With only the tweak explained in my tutorial you can get fully working ground polygons. With the Fs2004 gamepack it is also possible, but it takes more work and has more problems.

Thanks Arno.

Fs2002 makemdl is very easy to use, but i have an issue:i have to put many polys in a city area,which is not flat at all. to get all of polygons at the same layer,i flattened the area wth FSTflatten,but this force them at ground level,with texture bleeding through them, despite i modified the *.asm.

also i used the "flaten"command during exportation from gmax,but it didn't solve the problem.
Again, i put the flatten bgl under the scenery,in FS library:nothing to do.

Any tweaks possible?
:scratchch

Last edited:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi,

Luca said:
Fs2002 makemdl is very easy to use, but i have an issue:i have to put many polys in a city area,which is not flat at all. to get all of polygons at the same layer,i flattened the area wth FSTflatten,but this force them at ground level,with texture bleeding through them, despite i modified the *.asm.
Did you add the ADDCAT command to your ASM file as described in the tutorial? That should solve your ground bleedthrough problems if the mesh scenery is also flattened correctly.

The flatten command in GMax is something else and has nothing to do with this.

Presumably rather than sell my old version of FS2002 I should have kept it if I wanted to use the gamepack or is it downloadable somewhere. I have got to grips with most things on Gmax but the ground polys are just a killer for me, get them to show alright but I have the same problem as other people have had with buildings dissapearing. And to be honest I just do not understand the instructions on how to make them work. The problem I have is that my airfield is not made up of nice square aprons and taxiways, they are all over the place. In addition I also use the VFR scenery for the UK so ground 2k is not an option to create VTP polys.

Any ideas anyone, I have FSSC as afirst option to create

arno said:
Hi,
Did you add the ADDCAT command to your ASM file as described in the tutorial? That should solve your ground bleedthrough problems if the mesh scenery is also flattened correctly.

The flatten command in GMax is something else and has nothing to do with this.
Sure. I have to distinguish:
yesterday: I modified the ASM as you wrote in the tutorial, but nothing happen when i put 8,9,10....the area was flattened, and it seemed that it forces the poly at the same altitutude of the flatten. Before to put the flatten, your modification worked well.

Today i repeated exportation,but anything (what?) is going wrong.
my asm file contain only these 4 lines (instead of 5):

OBJECT_0_START label word
ADDOBJ OBJECT_0_SCALE
SHADOW_CALL OBJECT_0_SCALE
OBJECT_0_FAIL label BGLCODE

and,when i substituted them with these ones:

OBJECT_0_START label word
IFIN1 OBJECT_0_FAIL, image_complex, 2, 32767
ADDCAT OBJECT_0_SCALE, 8 (9,10...until 20)
OBJECT_0_FAIL label BGLCODE

again,nothing happened:the poly rimain at the same "altitude". No flattened area in this case.

I go to work...i wanna do my poly :stirthepo :scratchch :idea:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi,

You code looks OK. I noticed you also added a check for the scenery complexity, but that should not be causing your problems.

With these modifications your polygons in the scene should be proper ground polygons. As long as the area you place them on is flattened, it should really work.

Arno,thanks for your patience (however,i don't pretend you answer me every time i post.you did much for me yet ;) )

As u can see:

the text poly is @ x,y,z=0, with "ADDCAT OBJECT_0_SCALE, 16"
the pink one is @ x,y=0 z=5; no tweak on *.asm
I see that the text poly stay at ground level,before and after the flattening,with the addcat command.This means that layer mod seems didn't function to me.

I cant' explain why. I'm sure that
it's a ground poly,
i exported it without errors,
i pasted lines directly from your tutorial,
i put the 3 scenery files (2 asm and one *bgl) in addonscenery\myscen\scenery and the text in addonscenery\myscen\texture.

i think i'll use the "z" tweak.

Last edited:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Luca said:
i pasted lines directly from your tutorial,
i put the 3 scenery files (2 asm and one *bgl) in addonscenery\myscen\scenery and the text in addonscenery\myscen\texture.
You don't have to put the ASM files in the scenery folder, FS does nothing with them. But did you also compile the tweaked ASM files back into a BGL file?

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Yes, just compile the main ASM file (not the _0.ASM file) with BGLC.

Horst18519

Staff member
Resource contributor
I read a lot about this feature now here in the forum, but I still have some unanswered questions:

How can I use the fs2002-gamepack? I downloaded the 2002-mdlmaker, but when I replace the fs2004-mdlmaker in the gmax-plugins and try to export the groundpolys, gmax tells me that the mdlmaker isn't there. Do I have to use another routine to export with fs2002-mdlmaker? :confused:

Why do I have to use the 2002-gamepack anyway? I used the 2004 yesterday and the poly exported correctly.

How and why do I tweak? I placed markings on a AFCAD-runway - and it worked without blurring and with shadow! :eek:
Why should I still tweak the ASM?
And if - how? Do I just insert the above posted lines in the asm-file? :confused:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi Thorsten,

Horst18519 said:
How can I use the fs2002-gamepack? I downloaded the 2002-mdlmaker, but when I replace the fs2004-mdlmaker in the gmax-plugins and try to export the groundpolys, gmax tells me that the mdlmaker isn't there. Do I have to use another routine to export with fs2002-mdlmaker? :confused:
You need the other files of the Fs2002 gamepack as well, you can find them on the Fs2002 Pro CD. So this only works if you own Fs2002 as well. With the Fs2004 GMax SDK comes a document that tells you how you can use both gamepacks together.

Horst18519 said:
Why do I have to use the 2002-gamepack anyway? I used the 2004 yesterday and the poly exported correctly.
With the new gamepack you need a lot of tweaking to get shadows, etc working correct. That is what this entier thread is about :). In the old gamepack just replacing one line in the ASM code made them proper ground polygons (like the one FSSC or AFW makes). With the new code this is no longer possible, real ground polygons can only be made with mesh or XML commands in Fs2004.

Horst18519 said:
How and why do I tweak? I placed markings on a AFCAD-runway - and it worked without blurring and with shadow! :eek:
Why should I still tweak the ASM?
That is interesting :). How did you do that? Or maybe it is because you placed them on a runway, most people place it on the ground (mesh).

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
People, a short note. Please open a new thread if you have another problem with ground polygons. This thread is becoming too long and hard to read. So if you question is not a direct answer to the discussion going on, please open a new thread. Once the questions of Thorsten have been fully answered I will close this thread.

Horst18519

Staff member
Resource contributor
I don't know why it seemed to work properly... :eek:
I'll try about it.

I still have the fs2002pro - so I'll take a look at the CD. I also remember to have read about using both gamepacks in the tutorial.

Last question (before you hopefully can close the thread ;)): which line do I insert where in the fs2002-made asm-file?

edit: sorry, I just now saw the link to your tutorial. Haven't found it although I looked in the tutorials - thought it would be in the gmax-tutorials... :eek:

Last edited:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
OK, to improve the readability (and searchability) of the forum this thread is now closed. So if you have yet another question about ground polygons, feel free to open a new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.