REIL lights not showing.

I added REIL lights to both ends of my Normandy runway with ADE9 v170 - along with PAPI that do show. The REIL lights show on the Night View, but not in runway use at night - see screenshots. Have I done something wrong ? :rolleyes:

Attachments

Hi Terry:

Is there an Exclude Rectangle at the airport which prevents display of Effect *.Fx lights ? :scratchch

GaryGB

Gary.....no. This is one I made yesterday. The scenery folder has my VTTP.bgl, & the airfield & TER.bgl (flatten) and I added a scenery light pole bgl. It floods the centre of the runway - I was surprised at its brightness !!

I removed the light pole and tried it in my Vista machine and the end lights still don't show. I'll experiment with other sorts tomorrow to see what does show or not, as the case may be.

Last edited:
Hi Terry:

Try temporarily removing the "VTTP" BGL to see if it is impacting visibility for the REIL.

Some additional ideas to consider:

"My foray into custom airport lighting began when I learned that my snazzy hi-res GMax ground polys covered up all the default airport lighting from my custom AFCAD file, and that I would have to find another way to light my airport. I read various articles and postings regarding the pros and cons of BGL_LIGHTS versus Effects and decided to go with the BGL_LIGHTS. "

If you have not attempted 'custom' ASM-coded airport lighting, one may save some anguish by using AFLT:

Hope this helps. :)

GaryGB

Hi Terry:

I am curious if you had ever found a work-around for the lighting issue in this thread ? :scratchch

IIRC, when a custom VTP ground texture and/or G-Poly is placed at an airport, some were able to get these types of light objects to display properly on top of custom ground texture, by cutting a small hole in the custom ground texture polygon.

I don't recall if it would also work to assign a small area of total transparency in the custom texture's Alpha channel.

Hope this info might prove useful for successful display of such lights on top of custom ground textures ...in FS9 . :)

GaryGB

Gary............I don't have papi at Compton Abbas - it doesn't have them in real life so didn't go ahead.

As for Normandy - I removed the VTTP & the REIL didn't show. I won't continue trying now as I have other fish to fry but if do I'll post here to let you know. I was wondering if the flatten would involved but when removed a hill appears in the sky like a tree speckled dome. I put it back.
Thanks for your advice so far..........any break throughs & I'll let you know.

No......my strip is at Barneville-Carteret on the Normandy coast.............see red mark north of the commune.
It's in easy flying of Guernsey & Jersey !

grab_098.jpg

As for Normandy - I removed the VTTP & the REIL didn't show. I won't continue trying now as I have other fish to fry but if do I'll post here to let you know. I was wondering if the flatten would involved but when removed a hill appears in the sky like a tree speckled dome. I put it back.
Thanks for your advice so far..........any break throughs & I'll let you know.
Hi Terry:

ADE outputs a SCASM Area16N flatten file format for the *_TER.BGL.

I would de-compile that *_TER.BGL with BGLAnalyze version 3.1 or ScDis version 2.3.

Then, I would use those coordinates to make a substitute LWM3 flatten BGL using SBuilder for FS9, to see if the ADE-generated *_TER.BGL SCASM flatten (IIUC, a type of AreaFill ?) ...might have been what impacted REIL display. :idea:

See: "Making LWM polygons" in the SB9 Help file.

Hope this might help. :)

GaryGB