• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Reloading aircraft in FSX - reliable?

Does anybody else find that reloading an aircraft in FSX (using the menu or key binding) doesn't always seem to completely clear out and reload the gauges?

For instance, if I try out new gauge code and it fails because I've made a mistake, so I edit the file, re-cab it, copy it back into \gauges, and then reload the aircraft, sometimes the gauge now works as it should and other times it wont. But if I shut down FSX and restart it I often find that my gauges work as expected.

This is making my gauge programming very slow going as every time I correct a mistake in the xml I can't be assured that it will function correctly unless I restart the sim every time. In fact sometimes the sim completely hangs. (The when I restart it, it is fine.)

Or is there something else I could be doing to ensure old gauges get properly scrubbed when reloaded?

Si

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
Why in all that's Holy are you (re)cabbing the file every time? That really slows you down!

Instead, create a subfolder in your \panel folder with the same name as your gauge. Drop your .XML and .BMP files in the folder.

Launch FSX, load your aircraft, then do a "Reload Aircraft" to "unlock" the XML gauges.

Now you can simply save your edited XML, do a "Reload Aircraft" and see your changes immediately.

OTOH, custom L:variables are NOT reset to zero with a "Reload Aircraft" operation. To reset custom L:vars you will need to do a Ctrl-; sequence (restart flight).

Before the first Ctrl-; sequence though, best press ; to Save your current flight to some unique name... ;)

I had tried both methods of placing the gauges in the directories, but just wasn't sure whether one method increased the likelihood of the gauge failing or not.

Thanks for the tip on the L:vars.

Si

taguilo

Resource contributor
Country
argentina
OTOH, custom L:variables are NOT reset to zero with a "Reload Aircraft" operation.

Oh yes, they ARE reset to zero, unfortunately :( (IMHO) as Reload Panels doesn't work so far SP1

Tom

Country
us-kentucky
Does anybody else find that reloading an aircraft in FSX (using the menu or key binding) doesn't always seem to completely clear out and reload the gauges?

For instance, if I try out new gauge code and it fails because I've made a mistake, so I edit the file, re-cab it, copy it back into \gauges, and then reload the aircraft, sometimes the gauge now works as it should and other times it wont. But if I shut down FSX and restart it I often find that my gauges work as expected.

This is making my gauge programming very slow going as every time I correct a mistake in the xml I can't be assured that it will function correctly unless I restart the sim every time. In fact sometimes the sim completely hangs. (The when I restart it, it is fine.)

Or is there something else I could be doing to ensure old gauges get properly scrubbed when reloaded?

Si

Remember that to reload an aircraft reliably the SDK tells us that we have to turn off AI aircraft. I have no problem with it, but then I'm doing C gauges too.

Something else you might consider is coding your XML in an editor that will prevent syntax errors. There are a few good editors out there for free, and some great ones out there in payware.

Patrick

Something else you might consider is coding your XML in an editor that will prevent syntax errors. There are a few good editors out there for free, and some great ones out there in payware.

Any particular suggestions? I'm new to gauge programming and had a quick look for gauge editors and didn't come up with anything.

Also: Are people sticking to the FS9 gauge file syntax or adopting the new FSX schema? It seems that all the FSX XML gauges are still written in the old syntax.

Si