P3D v4 Removing landing lights to illuminate vc cockpit when turned on

Hi guys,
I have this issue in an aircraft, when I turn on the landing lights all the cockpit become bright almost washed out.
Same issue with the taxi light but only when I retract the landing gear. I've tried in model converter x to converting the model, removing the attachement, changing the fx file but nothing. I could not figuring out how to solve the issue, do you have some suggestions??
thanks for your help.

Paolo

Is there an fx file for the landing/taxi lights in the [Lights] section of the aircraft.cfg?
If there is, you might try moving the position of it. Move it down, or forward, or both.

If there isn't an entry in [Lights], I'm lost :D
Pat☺

Heretic

Resource contributor
P3Dv4 has some issues with light sources and geometry when advanced lighting (or whatever it is called) is used. Apparently, you'll need polygons pointing "outward" (taken from the fuselage model or something else) to block the lights from illuminating the interior model.

Making the materials used on the cockpit walls double sided with MCX could be a quick fix, but it might incur undesired side effects.

Yep... This is a bug with V4. My planes have this as well with landing light located near the cabin and instrument panel. Grim for people with airliners.

I have outward facing polygons. Doesnt help.

What you 'could' do is move your landing light polygons to outer area's or move them forward of the instrument panel. But that will look weird at night.

Heretic

Resource contributor
Nope, doesnt help. My panel in the Learjet turns into a Class M Star with about 40 billion candlewatt intensity. :(
Have you tried manifold geometry, i.e. kind of an egg or a box with outward facing polygons around the cockpit?
Could be that the bug is related to the one with volume shadows in FSX DX10 mode.

Interesting to know. All the more I hate DX10. What a glitchy thing that is.

But the first time I have seen this happen, ever, is in V4. I have the full model exported as the interior, so I know I have exterior polygons there. The fuselage is totally out there.

I had this issue on the Citation CJ4 I developed because that aircraft has the landing lights on the belly instead of the nose gear or wings, thus making the light Halo illuminating the cockpit. I solved that by creating four attach points on the exterior model: two of them (in the real position - belly) display only in exterior view while the other two (a bit forward from the nose gear) are visible only in cockpit views.

In order to solve that, with acknowledgements to @ddawson, by using the DSD sound Dll, I used the current view variable and played with it so the landing lights illuminate on all views but the Halo doesn't get inside the VC.

This has been fixed for the first update I'm developing now.

Osprey has landing light attached ( retractable) on belly and it doesn't have any issue in VC either FSX and P3D v4.
the only issue is when landing light too close to the ground, landing light isn't bright enough.

add note:
I still use external model (not all) and used it in internal model, maybe this external model could block light from light effect to go through VC :twocents:

Osprey has landing light attached ( retractable) on belly and it doesn't have any issue in VC either FSX and P3D v4.
the only issue is when landing light too close to the ground, landing light isn't bright enough.

add note:
I still use external model (not all) and used it in internal model, maybe this external model could block light from light effect to go through VC :twocents:
Thank you! I tried adding the outer fuselage, and added double sided wall. But it does not work. I will check out Carlo's suggestion. I use the default landing light fx.

JB3DG

Resource contributor
I can confirm it is without a doubt a P3D v4 bug. They don't provide a flag for parts that shouldn't be illuminated by desired light effects.