• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

P3D v4 Removing landing lights to illuminate vc cockpit when turned on

Country
italy
Hi guys,
I have this issue in an aircraft, when I turn on the landing lights all the cockpit become bright almost washed out.
Same issue with the taxi light but only when I retract the landing gear. I've tried in model converter x to converting the model, removing the attachement, changing the fx file but nothing. I could not figuring out how to solve the issue, do you have some suggestions??
thanks for your help.

Paolo

Country
unitedstates
Is there an fx file for the landing/taxi lights in the [Lights] section of the aircraft.cfg?
If there is, you might try moving the position of it. Move it down, or forward, or both.

If there isn't an entry in [Lights], I'm lost :D
Pat☺

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
P3Dv4 has some issues with light sources and geometry when advanced lighting (or whatever it is called) is used. Apparently, you'll need polygons pointing "outward" (taken from the fuselage model or something else) to block the lights from illuminating the interior model.

Making the materials used on the cockpit walls double sided with MCX could be a quick fix, but it might incur undesired side effects.

Country
us-arizona
Yep... This is a bug with V4. My planes have this as well with landing light located near the cabin and instrument panel. Grim for people with airliners.

I have outward facing polygons. Doesnt help.

What you 'could' do is move your landing light polygons to outer area's or move them forward of the instrument panel. But that will look weird at night.

Country
italy
Thanks everybody for the comments!!
I think that I'll wait (hope) that the developer will solve the issue. :rolleyes:

Country
us-arizona
Nope, doesnt help. My panel in the Learjet turns into a Class M Star with about 40 billion candlewatt intensity. :(

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Nope, doesnt help. My panel in the Learjet turns into a Class M Star with about 40 billion candlewatt intensity. :(

Have you tried manifold geometry, i.e. kind of an egg or a box with outward facing polygons around the cockpit?
Could be that the bug is related to the one with volume shadows in FSX DX10 mode.

Country
us-arizona
Interesting to know. All the more I hate DX10. What a glitchy thing that is.

But the first time I have seen this happen, ever, is in V4. I have the full model exported as the interior, so I know I have exterior polygons there. The fuselage is totally out there.

rotorhub

Resource contributor
Country
norway
Is there a solution for this issue? I have tried all the suggestions above, without any luck.

Country
colombia
I had this issue on the Citation CJ4 I developed because that aircraft has the landing lights on the belly instead of the nose gear or wings, thus making the light Halo illuminating the cockpit. I solved that by creating four attach points on the exterior model: two of them (in the real position - belly) display only in exterior view while the other two (a bit forward from the nose gear) are visible only in cockpit views.

In order to solve that, with acknowledgements to @ddawson, by using the DSD sound Dll, I used the current view variable and played with it so the landing lights illuminate on all views but the Halo doesn't get inside the VC.

This has been fixed for the first update I'm developing now.

Country
indonesia
Osprey has landing light attached ( retractable) on belly and it doesn't have any issue in VC either FSX and P3D v4.
the only issue is when landing light too close to the ground, landing light isn't bright enough.

add note:
I still use external model (not all) and used it in internal model, maybe this external model could block light from light effect to go through VC :twocents:

rotorhub

Resource contributor
Country
norway
Osprey has landing light attached ( retractable) on belly and it doesn't have any issue in VC either FSX and P3D v4.
the only issue is when landing light too close to the ground, landing light isn't bright enough.

add note:
I still use external model (not all) and used it in internal model, maybe this external model could block light from light effect to go through VC :twocents:
Thank you! I tried adding the outer fuselage, and added double sided wall. But it does not work. I will check out Carlo's suggestion. I use the default landing light fx.

JB3DG

Resource contributor
Country
southafrica
I can confirm it is without a doubt a P3D v4 bug. They don't provide a flag for parts that shouldn't be illuminated by desired light effects.