• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Repairing corrupt gMax files?

Country
unitedkingdom
Hi,

Is there a tool that can repair, or at least salvage, a corrupt gMax file (apart from keeping regular backup copies ;) )?

Just wondered. gMax has somehow managed to corrupt (yet another :rolleyes: ) gMax file on save for some reason.

Best regards,
Robin.

Last edited:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi Robin,

No, I have never seen a tool (or anything else) that is able to do that. On the other hand, I have never had a corrupt GMax file as well (only with that faulty windows update 2 years ago or so). So it should not be too much of a problem.

You can actually recover the objects in corrupted files, at least in most cases. Create a new empty scene, and with File -> Merge import the objects from the corrupted file into this new one and save.

If the file is corrupted beyond repair, you might find an older, automatic backup copy in gmax\autoback.

Country
unitedkingdom
I tend to keep a rolling record of my last 5 saves (so have scene1, scene2, scene3 etc and save over the oldest when I save my project).

I find Gmax very occasionally (about 1 in 100 saves) spits out a corrupt file, and I've lost an entire months work before, by overwriting my active project with a corrupt copy.

Country
australia
Auto Backup

As Jvarje has already stated, there should be Auto
Backups somewhere. :)

Just change the .gx to .gmax and double click/click.

I have my auto backup set to 9 x every 5 minutes.

If you have not set Auto backup you will find it
in > Customize > Preferences > Files

I recovered some models once when the backups werre also corrupt....

I started a new file, and using merge, I imported models from the corrupt file. Doesn't always work.

Country
unitedkingdom
Hi,

THanks; I didn't think to try and import from them into a new scene. :teacher:

Thanks!! :)

Best regards,
Robin.

Country
portugal
Hi!

I have the same problem with one very detailed gmax model and now I can´t open the file, even with the option merge... :mad: :banghead:

Regards

José Maia

Normally its just one object which causes problems, so a Merge one object at a time can pinpoint the troublemaker.

Country
portugal
Normally its just one object which causes problems, so a Merge one object at a time can pinpoint the troublemaker.

In my case, the problem is when I click open to merge the object, the popup window with the list of objects does not open. :banghead: :scratchch

José Maia

Happens to me a lot too.

Thanks to Jon Patch for another option. Go to customize on top, then preferences. Click the files tab. Selct auto increment on save.
Now when you save an open project, it will save as name01, name02, etc. Gets a little messy after a while if you do a lot of saves, but for me, it's better than loosing that month of work.

Country
nicaragua
Hmmm... So... Any news?
A month's work went corrupted and I can't go to the backup files because meanwhile I've been doing other things in gmax other than the corrupted project and now I can't recover it no matter what... Normally my corrupted files go blank in notepad but this one isn't, it has all the needed parts in there. I can't merge it because the parts box doesn't appear I tried everything: searching for a way to convert the file to other format outside gmax I even tried to mislead the mdlcommander into thinking that a gmax file is a x file, but no luck....
It's probably a stupid character in the file...
I'd really hope there was a solution to this...
P.S. I attached the file, if someone can open it... I'd apreciate it!

Last edited:

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
Sorry my friend, but that file is throughly toasted...

I loaded it in Visual Studio's Hex Editor and examined the header section (for want of a better term, the "parts directory") and noticed that it is just a scrambled mess... :yikes:

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
I tend to keep a rolling record of my last 5 saves (so have scene1, scene2, scene3 etc and save over the oldest when I save my project).

I find Gmax very occasionally (about 1 in 100 saves) spits out a corrupt file, and I've lost an entire months work before, by overwriting my active project with a corrupt copy.

Why do you do that? Max/GMax will auto-increment every save for you, provided you've told it to do so in your Customization/Preferences/Files settings.

Rule #1 is: Never overwrite an existing source file!