FSX:SE (RESOLVED) My towers.......literally just turned into dirt.

EDIT
Thanks for the solutions you all have provided. However, GaryGB's original post solved my problem. Instead of exporting as a normal .BGL file, it exported as a FLATTEN .BGL file, which in-turn messed up the terrain as such. All I had to do was delete that file (plus another elevation file) and make a new one. The towers are now actual towers.

ORIGINAL POST
This is crazy.

I was making some fictional skyscrapers for a friend of mine but I had to edit the model a few times to fix a couple of things. I booted up FSX to fly around the towers, and something really weird happened. Instead of rendering the towers themselves, FSX RAISED THE TERRAIN LEVEL in the same shape and form as my actual towers! It's crazy!
2019-1-30_14-9-16-869.png

I have no idea WHAT is up.

I re-exported the model, messed around with Altitude settings, and now I can't even get rid of the crazy terrain!
Here's a link to the .BGL, .DAE and .DDS textures for the model.

This is probably a unique case. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Hi Robert:

In MCX, you probably clicked the [Export Scenery] button, and set 'Save As Type': FSX Flatten BGL File (*.BGL).

Kinda' brings to mind this song 's lyrics "...turned to stone..." :laughing:

Be sure to instead set 'Save As Type': FSX BGL File (*.BGL). :)

GaryGB

Last edited:
EDIT
....or, maybe not! After doing some digging in the Addon Scenery folder, sorting by different order and such, I found the culprit. Apart from the scenery BGL itself, there was some other file in there and that seemingly messed up the terrain. I deleted that file and now it's smooth!

ORIGINAL POST

Hi Robert:

In MCX, you probably clicked the [Export Scenery] button, and set 'Save As Type': FSX Flatten BGL File (*.BGL).

Kinda' brings to mind this song 's lyrics "...turned to stone..." :laughing:

Be sure to instead set 'Save As Type': FSX BGL File (*.BGL). :)

GaryGB
Well, that should have worked. I tried re-exporting it as you said, but the dirt-skyscrapers remained. I DELETED the file+textures from the Addon Scenery folder, and, surprisingly, it's still there! I think FSX must have somehow hard-wired that terrain-elevation mod into itself. Is that reversible? For example, like FSX.CFG. It can get corrupted/messed up, but you can delete it and FSX will automatically make a new one for you. Does that option exist with terrain?

Your object placement Geographic coordinates are:

Latitude: N41.8111797049642

Longitude: E12.4558782577515

IIUC, that is is in Rome, Italy just SW of a city center; this is what it should look like in FSX default at that location:

1548940917070.png

Your screenshot looks like you have an incorrect terrain configuration or very low scenery display slider settings.

I would hesitate to conclude you have a possibly corrupted FSX installation until we know more about your terrain configuration and scenery display slider settings.

Also, what add-ons do you have installed for that area (including any terrain mesh) ? :scratchch

GaryGB