• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Roads sitting high above land

Country
australia
Hi,

I was trying to add roads using this software. It all went smoothly except the resulting roads were all short segments, especially in curves, and each segment had a ramp conecting it with the land about 6m below. Obveously GE topo is not as good as FSX so how do I get the roads to sit on the land?

BTW, I did do a search but did not see anything that apeared to apply to my problem.

Thanks heaps for any help provided.

Manfred

Country
us-missouri
A screenshot would be helpful.

Are you using a modified terrain.cfg file?

What does your kml file look like for the road?

You should be using zero meters elevation for all road points.

Country
australia
OK, here are the kml and screen grab.

Thanks

Attachments

• roads.jpg
    roads.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 518
  • road.txt
    1.8 KB · Views: 563
Country
us-missouri
You are not using a "road" tag.

You are using one of the Bridges tags! Do not do that for a road.

Instead use:
Roads_Asphalt_2_Lanes_Undivided_Median

and then report back on what you get.

I do not have much experience using the Bridge tags you have there, but they do not generate FSX roads. For FSX roads you need one of the Roads tags.

Long distance bridges like you have there, will drape over the terrain, and they have fixed lengths and will be blocky and segmented as your screenshot indicates.

Try Roads_Asphalt_2_Lanes_Undivided_Median and that should display a proper road that hugs the terrain smoothly.

Country
australia
Just a question on correct positions

I've been working on a few of the Atolls in the North Pacific and have noticed that the FSX-KML island positions differ a fair bit from the FSX scenery. In the image below (click on image for full version) the landmasses are FSX-KML produced - no shorelines added - and the shorelines are the default FSX - no exclusions added. I have no problems excluding the FSX and adding the FSX-KML and moving the airports (where they exist)to fit the FSX-KML islands but was wondering ...

does anyone have an explanation on the obvious offset of the 2 sets of data? No big deal, I'm just curious...

Cheers Tony

Last edited:

MatthewS

Resource contributor
Country
australia
Is it just that the FSX KML islands are more accurate since they are traced from Google Earth?

Whereas the default data in FSX is not as accurate.

I tried your Wake Island (downloaded from AVSIM). Very nice!

Last edited:
Country
australia
I think you're probably right Matthew. Although FSX is supposed to have updated and more accurate coastlines, roads etc., I think some parts of the World look suspiciously like the FS9 version ported over to me. Thank you for FSX-KML Matthew :) now that I've sorted out the PolygonHole positioning straight after the polygon to be affected I'm finding it a lot quicker and easier to make island sceneries than it was with G2K4 for FS9. Glad you like Wake Island and I have a few more of the Pacific Island atolls in the pipeline..

Cheers Tony

Country
us-missouri
Very often, I will be working on a small airfield near the coastline, and its exact position will be IN THE OCEAN using the default dataset.

However, using Google Earth data, everything always seems to work out more accurately.

I think it is amazing that Google Earth can be so accurate.