• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSXA Rotating Beacon

Country
us-northcarolina
I have a thread over in GMAX that Tom Gibson has been kindly helping me including making the beacon rotating for me and exporting it to an FSX MDL. In MDCx V1.5 I attached green and white spot lights and they look great BUT they do not rotate with the beacon animation. Do I need to do something or are they ONLY able to be stationary?

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

How did you add the beacon? Is it an attached XML object that you used for it? If so, the animation is in that object indeed. If you have other parts that need to rotate as well, you would have to add an animation in MCX.

Country
us-illinois
Sorry for the incorrect URL I previously posted; the URL has been corrected now. :oops:

GaryGB

Country
us-northcarolina
The beacon was created from the real product sheet in Sketchup 2016. Then it was exported as a DAE file; opened in MDCx and exported as a 3DS for GMAX in two parts: beacon which is to rotate and the rectangular base. I was able to merge them and add animation to the beacon in GMAX(FSX). If you follow the posts in the fsdevelopers thread that GaryGB linked to you will all the trials and tribulations we all have had. Arno is it true though that "spotlights" in MDCx do not show in FSX(A) just points even though they look great in MDCx with the beams? My question to you was how do I slave the attached effects (if there is a way) to rotate with the rotating beacon.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Spot lights are only supported in P3D v4 and MSFS indeed. FSX does not support them.

If your beacon is animated already, it should be possible to have other elements rotate with it by dragging them under the right node in the hierarchy editor.

Country
us-northcarolina
But since they are only points of light NOT spot lights, than that is actually a moot point now. Even when I activate my new computer with Windows 10 on it I don't want P3D V4 or MSFS because the huge library I have of software for FSX is not compatible with either version. I intend after the New Year to put up the new computer and get P3D V3 which can use all my software I understand. Thank you for taking the time to help. Tom Gibson said it which I am just going to do and use the FSX beacon in ADEx for the airport. Merry Christmas.