Rule of thumb for poly size?

Say I want to cover an area that is 10' x 5' in ADE on a taxiway. Is there a general rule of thumb that lets me figure out what size image in pixels (length and width) that will not distort the image when applied to that area?

Thanks
-Kevin

gadgets

Resource contributor
Texture sheet length and width must always be a power of 2 e.g., 256 x 512. You apply only the portion of the texture sheet that's needed, so the aspect ration of the texture sheet is not an issue. What's more important is the resolution. The closer you expect to get to that poly in the user aircraft, the larger (high resolution) the texture must be. As a rule of thumb, make your texture sheet as large or larger than you ever expect to need. You can always make it smaller. The final size will be governed by performance.

Don

Texture sheet length and width must always be a power of 2 e.g., 256 x 512. You apply only the portion of the texture sheet that's needed, so the aspect ration of the texture sheet is not an issue. What's more important is the resolution. The closer you expect to get to that poly in the user aircraft, the larger (high resolution) the texture must be. As a rule of thumb, make your texture sheet as large or larger than you ever expect to need. You can always make it smaller. The final size will be governed by performance.

Don
I messed with it last night and figured 128 x 64 might work for an area 10' x 5' and it worked perfectly. Thanks Don.