• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Running ADE on a Computer without FSX installed

Country
switzerland
Sometimes, just for convenience, I'd like to edit airports on my laptop on which I have no simulator installed (for example when I'am outside of my home cockpit, at work, travelling etc). All I would need is to copy the files I want to edit from the simulator computer to my laptop and edit them in ADE there. I don't care about an active simulator connection to ADE then, because it's just bgl.-files I want to edit. But unfortunately it seems that I can't run ADE if it doesn't find a registry entry of any simulator. Is there a way to get ADE to run on a non-simulator computer apart from the obvious solution of installing a sim which I definitely don't want? Any help appreciated.

draci

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
One thing - make sure you are editing the ad4 files, and not the bgl files (routinely). That won't help the problem with your laptop though.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
You can force ADE to display a list of FS Versions. ADE does look at the FS installation for a number of things. Also you will find other 'error' messages if there is no SDK intalled.

If you want to try forcing ADE to display missing versions then go to the ADE main installation folder and look for Global.ini Open it in a text editor you will see something like this:

[TARGET]
Version=P33
[IMPORT]
GpTextures=True
ListerSettings=True

If you can't find it - which is possible if there are no FS installations to find then you will need to create it

What you need to do is first make sure there is a section for [TARGET]. If not then add it
Now add the line

ShowAll=True

under [TARGET]

Now save global.ini and try to run ADE. If it works then you will see a version selector that shows all the versions:

upload_2016-12-3_6-57-36.png

There are several places that ADE searches for registry entries - for example as mentioned above you may get messages about the SDK.

IMPORTANT NOTE
This fix should be used with great caution and only if you are sure that there are no FS installations on the computer. Some times the registry entry for a version is corrupt or missing. This fix is NOT the way to handle that. Fixing the registry entry is the proper way to proceed. FS registry entries are used by a lot of addons and tools other than ADE so if one is missing or corrupt then that problem is the one to fix

Country
unitedstates
Could I get ADE installed in my laptop without FS9 there? I can edit ADE while I'm away from home to play edit ADE work on that.

Thanks,

Stuart

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
If you use the fix above Stuart then yes you can probably use ADE without FS9 present

Country
germany
Is there also away for this with the 170 Version ?

regards Higgy ( in holiday ;) ) and Notebook without fsx

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Where did you look for global.ini? it is in the main ADE folder. If for some reason ADE can't create it then you could manually create a text file with that name in the main ADE folder and put the fix in it

Country
germany
ok thanks, i make a ini :

[TARGET]
ShowAll=True
Version=FSX
[IMPORT]
GpTextures=True
ListerSettings=True

now on my notebook ist running

Country
iran
Good day!
I have been away from ADE for over 5 years and now am back on bussiness again. I tried to locate the Global.ini file and realised it is no longer there, so I am facing this issue as ADE is not recognizing my FSX:SE. If there are any news or updates I'm not aware of, please fill me in.
Regards

Parkho

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
just create a new text file called global.ini in the ADE Main folder and put the lines

[TARGET]
ShowAll=True

in it. Save it and try to run ADE again

Country
iran
just create a new text file called global.ini in the ADE Main folder and put the lines

[TARGET]
ShowAll=True

in it. Save it and try to run ADE again
Thanks I did that and it worked just fine. Now I'm facing the compiler issue which I beleive I read I had to install the p3d SDK?!