Runway Altitude (not airport) editing. Is it possible.

I want to edit a sea plane base in FSX for the purpose of adding a solid runway.

To spice things up, I want to built a giant peir that I want to put a steel mat runway on top of. This would be an instance where it would be incredibly handy to be able to change the altitude of the runway by hand. This way I could keep the airport altitude at sea level and place all my water objects with the runway matching the elevation of the pier.

Is this possible?

Also, being able to set things like start points and parking spot altitudes so I could have people load up on top of a ship borne helipad.

Last edited:

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Yes you can if you have a ProKey. It can be done also for starts. HOWEVER you can't change the altitude of things like parking spots and taxiways. So in your case you should probably set the airport altitude to your pier surface. There are some folks here who have made oil platforms, aircraft carriers and so on who can help you with this I think

I couldn't get the Starts to be any different from the airport altitude (Pro, Commercial license Version)

That said, I think I found a simple answer. I ran into it purely by accident.

My project is a water runway surrounded by icebergs including a tabular iceberg (flat on top)- I want a helipad start on top of that iceberg.

Set airport elevation to 16 ft. (non-stock). Add a Flatten poly set to elevation 16 ft. Cover it with Snow Apron - tabular iceberg. Add a Helipad Start position (defaults to 16 ft)

I set the water runway to transparent and added the starting positions. Everything reads 16 ft.

If I start with the Bell 206B on the helipad I'm sitting on my iceberg at an altitude of 16 ft.

However, if I start with the Otter Float plane at one of the Runway start points, I start sitting (floating) on the water at 0 ft. Go figure. I was expecting a "splash down" but nope.

Yes you can if you have a ProKey. It can be done also for starts. HOWEVER you can't change the altitude of things like parking spots and taxiways. So in your case you should probably set the airport altitude to your pier surface. There are some folks here who have made oil platforms, aircraft carriers and so on who can help you with this I think
Jon, I have stumbled on the same issue. I am working on PHNL (Honolulu) and I wish to add "2" water runways, which I have,,BUT I am able to change position, heading, BUT not the altitude, both of these water runways (04W and 08W) retain the altitude of the "airport". Yes, I have a ProKey license active, running
Versions:

Application 01.76.6715.14291
Engine 04.75.6712.18978

ADE for P3Dv4.5
What am I missing that I should be able to set these 2 water runways to sea level?
Sorry to be so thick.

Thanks in advance
Lemon