• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS Saab 340B MSFS2020, self training

Country
netherlands
Nearing the end with the nose, some part is missing for the steering at the back, and the bay needs to be dressed up with lines.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 125
Country
unitedkingdom
Looks very good, sometimes it's hard to find photos of parts of the aircraft you are trying to model, especially when they are not shown in the perspective that most photos are shot, the only thing you can do is keep searching for a photo that shows what you are looking for. Keep up the good work.

Country
netherlands
Looks very good, sometimes it's hard to find photos of parts of the aircraft you are trying to model, especially when they are not shown in the perspective that most photos are shot, the only thing you can do is keep searching for a photo that shows what you are looking for. Keep up the good work.
Thank you Paul! I finished the gear in the middle of the night yesterday. Working now on the main gear, so trying to get info how the struts look and inside of the wheelwell. I have a walkaround video that partially shows it.

Regarding perspective, yes that is a thing of it's own, checking and dubble checking pictures with various Saabs is the only way of getting it "about" right.

Also I see devs like LES and Carenado and some other all did the tail wrong and put static vanes where they should not be. Am diving into it deep, maybe little to deep, why do people care that there are all kinds of HYD lines running in the wheel well. Or that the pivot mechanism is operational inside while you don't see it, I made it but could be a little waste of time.

Country
australia
I just found out that the front windows where WAAAYY oversized way to wide, so had to undergow big surgery, and still is undergoing.
One thing I'd like to suggest if you haven't done it already. Build a mock-up of your cockpit now. Even a simple panel will do but get it to the correct dimensions. You don't want to build your exterior first and then find out there is a 6 inch gap between it and the cockpit. Or worse, the cockpit pokes outside of the exterior model. You can always tweak the exterior model dimensions but the cockpit dimensions not so much.

Country
netherlands
One thing I'd like to suggest if you haven't done it already. Build a mock-up of your cockpit now. Even a simple panel will do but get it to the correct dimensions. You don't want to build your exterior first and then find out there is a 6 inch gap between it and the cockpit. Or worse, the cockpit pokes outside of the exterior model. You can always tweak the exterior model dimensions but the cockpit dimensions not so much.
I builded the model with the metric units which was advised using by MSFS SDK. However you're totally right, but am still debating how am going to do this. Also should I use the full model in VC or should I used a degraded model? Am thinking the decision will be made after the performance check.

However could you define a little more how you mean mock-up? As in like, create cockpit panels like side walls, glareshield etc..? :) Thanks Anthony!

Country
netherlands
Here another gray scale model plane without a texture, can't wait till get that going soon! Now back to sleep, and have a normal workweek again.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 144
  • 2.png
    2.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 134
  • 3.png
    3.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 135
  • 4.png
    4.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 145
Country
australia
I builded the model with the metric units which was advised using by MSFS SDK. However you're totally right, but am still debating how am going to do this. Also should I use the full model in VC or should I used a degraded model? Am thinking the decision will be made after the performance check.

However could you define a little more how you mean mock-up? As in like, create cockpit panels like side walls, glareshield etc..? :) Thanks Anthony!
It guess it does depend on how you want to go. For me, I've never built a medium or large aircraft, just small. So I always show the interior and exterior models together so it's vital that I have both models line up perfectly.

But for an airliner you can (probably should) build separate interior and exterior models. The exterior model having a simplified cockpit, the interior model having a simplified exterior.

For a mock-up panel you'd need to measure the panel sizes and put them in place. You don't need highly detailed panels at this point. I've even used simple boxes before but set to the correct dimensions. Figure out seat height, where the floor is, how far back is the panel, will the pilots be seated in the right position, the eyepoint position so you get a good view out the windscreen etc etc.

Country
netherlands
Been re working on the gear, she's been very un-nice to me. Haha, almost threw the towel in the ring, like "for what was I doing this again?" Oh yeah training. It's been quite the road, never been working so long on a body of a plane. I can add pictures of it, but I think no one gives a freak of some non saying gray-scale pictures until it's actually in a sim. But she's coming along nicely, I hope. Been training myself on the system logic lately, got hands on al the Saab documentations. :)

Country
netherlands
Should be last gray scale render, have to do some few more things, than time for texturing.

Attachments

• 4.png
    4.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 118
  • 3.png
    3.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 92
  • 2.png
    2.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 105
  • 1.png
    1.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 108
Country
denmark
I look forward to it, whenever it might be ready. I have a special feeling for the SAAB planes ever since I was in the Danish Air Force doing my military service in a SAAB Draken squadron.

Country
netherlands
Oh side note, the engine is going to be made separately, and put in the engine cowling afterwards. She was already in MSFS btw today. Was some fighting with Blender and MSFS.

Country
netherlands
1677723071719.png

I just remembered how bad I was at texturing, I forgot about that. Trying.. To create lines and rivets now. Turns out I still have a lot to learn, it's just not up to my expectations.

Country
us-nevada
View attachment 86861
I just remembered how bad I was at texturing, I forgot about that. Trying.. To create lines and rivets now. Turns out I still have a lot to learn, it's just not up to my expectations.
My biggest suggestion for this is to create some good UV seams to make your UV islands easier to work with. Since a lot of this will have symmetry, I would have your main seam run down the long axis of the fuselage to start, and then isolate other parts you want as separated islands. It'll make the texturing and baking process significantly easier.

Country
netherlands
My biggest suggestion for this is to create some good UV seams to make your UV islands easier to work with. Since a lot of this will have symmetry, I would have your main seam run down the long axis of the fuselage to start, and then isolate other parts you want as separated islands. It'll make the texturing and baking process significantly easier.
Am using the seams, but it's still not unwrapping it correctly. So I did it all manually 50/50, and unwrapped that. The other body details, antennas and gear doors, wheel wells etc.. Will get it's own texture separated from the main fuse. :)

Country
netherlands
Slowly adding details, also on this am struggling big time, but every line feels like an achievement, getting the hang of it.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 108
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 103
Country
netherlands
Slowy adding details, UV mapping and making corrections, while learning how to work with texturing, makes it a painfully slow progress. Especially if you find corrupted vertices, like around the windows and stuff. I wonder sometimes shall I continue or call it off, lol. Maybe gone a bit over my head with this. 😅

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 113
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 106