• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

SCASM Macro to XML placement converter

Country
switzerland
Hi,

I am trying using the tool called "SCASM Macro to XML placement converter", but I don't understand what is "API folder".
Could someone explain me?
Thank you.

Best regards,
Jerome

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

There you need to specify your folder that contains the API macros.

But what are you trying to achieve? API macros are really old (from FS2000 or before), so you won't see them so much anymore. I started MCX to convert such macros to MDL, but nowadays I don't think many people still use them.

Country
switzerland
Hi,

I know that this is old stuff ;-), but I'm trying to convert an old BGL, which has been compiled using SCASM. I've managed to decompile the BGL to get a SCA file (using BGLAnalyse) and to get the MDLs using MCX, but I don't know how to get the position of the MDLs. That's why I tried using this tool.

What are these API macros, where can I get them?

Thank you,
Jerome

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

The API macros might have been used to generate your BGL file. But since you start from the BGL file, you don't need to worry about them.

If you load your SCA file into MCX it should already read the positions of the objects. You can check this by opening the Object placement editor and see if you see placement pins in there. In that case just export to XML or BGL will generate the placement for your new MDL files as well.

Country
switzerland
Thank you Arno, I tried this, but there are some errors reading the SCA, so it's impossible de get a XML or a new BGL. I'll try to position the elements manually instead.
Jerome

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
What kind of errors do you get reading the sca file then?

Country
switzerland
You'll find attached the outputs of MCX. One is when I try to read the BGL file and the two others are when I try to read the SCA files comming from BGLAnalyze.

Attachments

• MCX_BGL_Decode_Warnings.txt
    16.7 KB · Views: 289
  • MCX_SCA1_Decode_Warnings.txt
    31.6 KB · Views: 404
  • MCX_SCA2_Decode_Warnings.txt
    26.1 KB · Views: 364

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

Many of the warnings in there are typical when reading complex BGL files. But I also noticed a warning in there about the CallLibObj command not being supported. That surprises me a bit, since I thought I had added support for that already. But missing that command could indeed mean the placement information is not read from the file. I'll try to add support for it, if I can find a sample BGL file to debug with. I need to dig in my old SCASM files a bit for that.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
That might help as well. I'll send you my email address by PM.