Scene Builder Wizard

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
In the latest development release you will find a new wizard, the Scene Builder Wizard. With this feature you can build one scene (object) from a set of FS library objects and their placement. With this information ModelConverterX will generate a combined scene that contains all these objects at the right positions. This might be useful to improve performance (when applied on a small scale) or when you want to convert an entire airport to another format or so. Once you have made the new object you can export or edit it like normal.

The video tutorial below demonstrates this new feature.

Continue reading...

Nice looking feature! I have been laying out airport lights with attached effects using Instant Scenery, can I expect this to work to convert all the placed lights to a single object, and will the effect attachpoints all convert over?
Thanks,
Barry

Nice looking feature! I have been laying out airport lights with attached effects using Instant Scenery, can I expect this to work to convert all the placed lights to a single object, and will the effect attachpoints all convert over?
Thanks,
Barry
Good question!

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi,

When you place the effects with Instant Scenery are they MDL objects with an effect attached or does that directly generate the BGLComp effect placement code? The first approach should be supported (although I didn't test it), the last one probably not.

When you place the effects with Instant Scenery are they MDL objects with an effect attached or does that directly generate the BGLComp effect placement code? The first approach should be supported (although I didn't test it), the last one probably not.
The lights are MDL object with effect attached (made in Gmax and then effect added using Attach Tool) and put in a library BGL, then I use Instant Scenery to place instances of the library object, which generates a separate placement BGL. I think since it's the placed object that's calling for the attached effect that there's no separate effect placement code.

I didn't have much time to try it but what I did was open the wizard and added the above library and placement BGL files, then checked both Round Earth Input and Output (since the objects are placed on the ground in FSX), then Generate Scene. I enabled the display for effects and I see all the lights appear to have the effects, so that looks really good, and there are no missing objects. I did try to save a new BGL using Export Scenery and then disabled my original placement BGL, but I don't see the lights in FSX when I load with the new BGL. I'll try it again later and if I'm still stuck I'll upload my scenery. Was using Export Scenery the correct thing to do, or should I Export Object as MDL and then place it?

Thanks,
Barry

I realized one mistake was when exporting scenery I had the type set to flatten BGL instead of regular FSX scenery BGL

With that fixed I found that I have too many vertices in the combined scene:
8:16 AM XtoMDL Error error : Vertex list has too many vertices (119530), max allowed: 65535

Log is attached. I guess I need to optimize my light models. :yikes:

Attachments

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Your process sounds ok. Only the round earth input is not needed, I don't think your mdl files are corrected for the round earth.

tgibson

Resource contributor
Hi,

That maximum is on a per material basis in FSX. So you have too many objects using the same material.

Find the material that most objects use. You will need to create a new material (copy and paste the old one), make a tiny change to it, and assign some objects to use that material instead.

Thanks Tom and Arno, I'll give your suggestions a try. I'm sure that also my models have more polys than necessary so I'll fix that as well and then try this again.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
MCX should automatically change the materials a bit to stay under that limit. But it seems not to work in all cases. I'll need to look into that.