Scenery Config and Adding with an Installer

Hey all,

On the scenery configs, they add in layers at the top, highest number up.

How do you 'add' that in via an installer? Or does the simulator auto-edit the config for you in proper placement?

If one has like 200 or 500 different addon sceneries, how in the world would you reset all their order numbers?

In writing this, it occurred to me, perhaps FSX just re-writes them in proper order if you add some in?

Always been curious about that.

=rk=

Resource contributor
The simulator adds titles sequentially adding a sequential number to each entry. The list is parsed backwards, such that the highest number is the highest or first layer. This works very well on a casual basis for a few extra sceneries that should be at the top anyway. Over time, other addons like meshes and poorly configured auto installers can really corrupt a scenery.cfg and there are several softwares available to help organize it. In fact, the new P3D system was so foreign to me, it was easier to just use the Lorby configurator.

Hey all,

On the scenery configs, they add in layers at the top, highest number up.

How do you 'add' that in via an installer? Or does the simulator auto-edit the config for you in proper placement?

If one has like 200 or 500 different addon sceneries, how in the world would you reset all their order numbers?

In writing this, it occurred to me, perhaps FSX just re-writes them in proper order if you add some in?

Always been curious about that.
@lionheart did you found how to do that?

I really like the new Prepar3d 'add-on.xml' method, which can specify a layer (roughly), or you can use the command line method if you don't need to specify the layer.
For FSX, I still use a scripting installer to edit the scenery.cfg, and with some extra scripting you can insert at a specific layer, and renumber everything after that. Fiddly, and you need to have a really robust script as people get grumpy if your installer messes up their scenery.cfg!
I use NSIS for its scripting.