• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Scenery Design Engine Build 2580 Available

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
The latest version is now available here:

www.scruffyduck.co.uk/files/sde_current_build.zip

This build now has almost complete coverage of those scenery objects which are XML based and compiled using BGLComp. There are one or two minor elements not implemented and these are mentioned in the documentation. Also included in the distribution is the first developers documentation help file. This is based on in-line XML documentation and produced using nDoc.

This build will also display a list of textures used in a model mdl (as requested :) )

For those of you who may be using the engine in your own applications please note the developers conditions in the release notes.

I would appreciate any feedback (good or bad) since I am considering making the test app available on AVSIM for general use as a decoder/encoder

I would also appreciate views from developers on how best the library should be distributed - with the end application or via separate download from my site.

Note: I am moving all future discussion of SDE into the tools programming forum since I think it is more appropriate

Last edited:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Thanks Jon,

I'll try to check out this build soon and give you some feedback.

Also I agree that this forum is a better plate to discuss the development of this tool.

Country
england
Hi Jon,

It's just dawned me that you are including BGLComp.exe within you package. Surely this is part of the SDK which is only available to people how bought the Deluxe version of FSX.

Forgive me if you have permission to distribute BGLComp with SDE, if so please ignore this post.

David

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Hi Jon,

It's just dawned me that you are including BGLComp.exe within you package. Surely this is part of the SDK which is only available to people how bought the Deluxe version of FSX.

Forgive me if you have permission to distribute BGLComp with SDE, if so please ignore this post.

David

An interesting point David.

Para 3a of the SDK EULA states :

User Testing. Your end users may access the software to perform acceptance tests on your programs.

and that is the principle that I am using since SDE is incomplete and at an early beta stage.

On the other hand Para 5 does not allow the publishing of the software for others to copy or renting, leasing or lending the software.

I have asked for, and am awaiting, clarification on re-distribution of BGLComp from the ACES Team.

by the way Jon

It has always taken 2 decompilers to extract all the correct data from the AP/APX.bgl in order to write new approach code.

Your lastest SDE has succesfully decoded everything in one decompiler. I no longer have to use both newbglanalyze and bglx180 to get all the correct leg data.

The other good thing is the rightside window allows for copy/past when building a xml from the very beginning.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Thanks Jim - maybe I am getting there are last :)

The current build I am just tidying up can read XML as well as the bgl format. I am not sure how useful that is for reading FS XML, but the program can now save it's data in xml and there are some extra attributes for sde specific data. These are ignored when you compile.