• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Scenery not popping in until very close

Country
unitedkingdom
I have a custom-model scenery package with a number of models contained within it. I have no LODs in any of them - just simple models compiled in Blender, then added to MSFS with the SDK. All models except one works as expected. The oddly-working model was created from scratch by me, and doesn't show until the plane (or drone camera) is a few feet away from it. When I fly away from it, it does remain in place and everything looks fine after that. Anyone have any ideas on what I should check or what might cause the model not to show up normally?

Country
germany
How large is the model? In MSFS The lateral size seems to decide when an object is shown, while the height is not accounted for, which leads to odd things like 100 feet lighthouses popping up at close distances. The best way I found to counteract this is to add a large horizontal plane (about 30x30 metres) a few meters below my original model (especially below the world origin in Blender) and to be absolutely sure you can assign the MSFS "invisible" material to it instead of the standard material in the pull down menu. This will lead the object to be treated like a very large building and it will be shown at a much larger distance in sim. The downside is that in developer mode in the scenery Editor the clickspot of the object will also be 30x30 metres so you will accidentally select it all the time unless you check the "unselectable" checkbox in the scenery window.

Country
unitedkingdom
Thanks, both. The issue was indeed with scale - the model is pretty normal in size (large venue for concerts) but my scale was several hundred, so FS was interpreting the model as being very tiny, so makes sense that it shouldn't show until you're close-up. I simply normalised the scale to 1, re-exported, then rebuilt the project and all is looking good.

Country
unitedstates
How large is the model? In MSFS The lateral size seems to decide when an object is shown, while the height is not accounted for, which leads to odd things like 100 feet lighthouses popping up at close distances. The best way I found to counteract this is to add a large horizontal plane (about 30x30 metres) a few meters below my original model (especially below the world origin in Blender) and to be absolutely sure you can assign the MSFS "invisible" material to it instead of the standard material in the pull down menu. This will lead the object to be treated like a very large building and it will be shown at a much larger distance in sim. The downside is that in developer mode in the scenery Editor the clickspot of the object will also be 30x30 metres so you will accidentally select it all the time unless you check the "unselectable" checkbox in the scenery window.
Just researching some issues I am experiencing regarding this technique of having a scale object at 1.0 and uses a 3x BIGGER BOUNDING BOX or PLANE set to invisible under or incasing the object within it.
So that the sim will render if far into the distance and not draw the object(s) as you fly say for a fence.

My question:
When my object is not joined things align SNAPTOGROUND or ALT=AGL perfectly. but when I join this invisible object or plane the sim wont align it to ground consistently.
Yet the trick works and draws a fence far into the distance on LOAD IN.

3dcursor in blender and set origin for both objects before the join are the same.

Any help appreciated.

Country
germany
Just researching some issues I am experiencing regarding this technique of having a scale object at 1.0 and uses a 3x BIGGER BOUNDING BOX or PLANE set to invisible under or incasing the object within it.
So that the sim will render if far into the distance and not draw the object(s) as you fly say for a fence.

My question:
When my object is not joined things align SNAPTOGROUND or ALT=AGL perfectly. but when I join this invisible object or plane the sim wont align it to ground consistently.
Yet the trick works and draws a fence far into the distance on LOAD IN.

3dcursor in blender and set origin for both objects before the join are the same.

Any help appreciated.
Have you tried adding the plane while blender is in edit mode instead of object mode? Then move it below the surface and create a new material with a "invisible" parameter and assign the new material only to the plane.

Country
unitedstates
Have you tried adding the plane while blender is in edit mode instead of object mode? Then move it below the surface and create a new material with a "invisible" parameter and assign the new material only to the plane.
thank you for your advice I will attempt this.

Also to note even without using this INVISIBLE OBJECT JOIN trick.

A little more on my quest to solve a problem I’m witnessing when replicating objects along the ground.
whenever I change the LoDFactor to anything higher than 1 or 2 maybe editing the UserCfg.opt file.

{ObjectsLoD
LoDFactor 2.000000
}

The objects begin to no longer follow the terrain on mountains hills etc.
Randomly jumping Up or Down in height.