• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX Scenery Objects Location

Country
us-california
Hi,

Referring to the SDK and the Terrain Base File Information section makes it fairly easy to locate the appropriate Base file of a location from the Lat and Lon but I'm having problems identifying any specific object. If its on an airport that's most of the battle but off-airport objects are the problem.

Any suggestions?

Jim F.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

Can you tell us what you want to achieve? Why do you want to identify the object and are you trying to do so in the bgl?

Country
us-california
Hi,

I'm trying to find the procedure to best identify any specific object's file and the information pertaining to that object within the file. Your question seems to suggest that the information may exist outside of a bgl; if that's so could you please elaborate?
The "why" part of your question is a bit more difficult to answer. I guess it falls into the "because it's there" category. I am not interested in any masking or excluding tactics if that was a concern.

Thanks, Jim F.

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
Hi Jim.

TCalcX would give the folder and file names. OBX are for object placement and some location-locked MDLs.

To find the exact GUID of the model, you'd have to decompile to XML, and then scan it for the correct lat-long location.

Dick

Country
us-california
Hi,

I downloaded TCalcX and see where it would be a very useful tool. Identifying file locations using the base map is not too difficult in the upper left quadrant but identifying the proper file in somewhere like South Africa would be quite a bit harder. That being said I think TCalcX is really a nice addition to FS.

I'm still no closer to identifying with assurance as to the specific location of the information used to create any particular piece of scenery. Aside from the base files, in my situation, there are the Cities, NAMW, Global, and perhaps others that the particular information might exist in. I'm not looking for information regarding a specific object but any object.

I noticed that the BGL files displayed were associated with LWMViewer and FSX was in operation. Are there compatibility problems? I've never used it but looked into it and noticed it hadn't been updated for awhile.

Thanks for the great tool, Jim F.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Are you referring just to library objects or also generic buildings and how would you differentiate between autogen and specifically placed objects? Placement of objects and generic buildings can be in AP, OB, and NV files as well as in specific bgl files. Are you referring to stock placement of objects or also the placement from custom or addon files?

Country
us-california
Hi Jon,

What I'm trying to do is get the "big picture".
Many years back in the old DOS days when the earth was green or brown or yellow and the water was blue I spent a considerable amount of time working on improving my local scenery only to have the latest iteration of FS make my efforts futile. Now that MS has cut the apron strings that's no longer a concern.
My only consideration is stock scenery.

Jim F.