• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX Scenery Project: Rodrigues

Country
mauritius
Hello everyone. Is there someone here who can create a beautiful scenery about Rodrigues Island & the airport Please????

Rodrigues island is situated in the North Est of Mauritius.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rodrigues & placemark in map below:

1616506751826.png

Rodrigues Location

Here's how it looks in Google Earth:

View of Rodrigues in Google Earth

And here's how it looks in FSX:

View of Rodrigues in FSX

Country
madagascar
Hi.

Can you detail what "quality" level are you expecting ? "Beautiful" depends on your system specs.

I started a new Afcad/ADE for the airport a week ago, for massive fantasy AI traffic needs (like a fleet of 6 B1900 for CatovAir and one Saab 340B). Also planning VTP rework (coastlines, landclass and patches of VTP polygons), I need to figure out how to script default buildings generation. Maybe a few custom buildings, but I'm not planning on pro level quality, just for fun.

There is no ground polygon planned, no mesh, and the project was started on a basis of an FS9 export, then and FSX port (I don't own P3D nor MSFS). I just happenned to start learning the differences between FS9 techniques and compile which I know well, and FSX differences and extra options. I just happen to create my own way of building scenery with lines and polygons and reference points directly created in GoogleEarth. There is no limit I know of how many polygons I can create while being as accurate as what satellites photos are offering. Building an Afcad/ADE the size of Rodrigues is a matter of a couple hours for a quick KML to XML conversion (30 sec.) and FSX BGLComp with compile helper. The VTP part takes more time depending on how many details I want to add (roads, dirt/mud/forest/city patches/beach size...)

The bigger picture is all and everything in Madagascar and around (someting like 200 airfields/airstrips in the country, with islands like Agalega, Iles Eparses...). The only big scenery project I'm planning is Antananarivo/Ivato, and Rodrigues would be the 30th in my list of such big investment (after several malagasy airports improvements obviously).

How long it would take for my planned Rodrigues files to get on Avsim ? Well, there is no deadline, it will get released when ready (weeks, months, years ? that's just how it is, sorry). If what I'm plannong doesn't suits your needs, I hope someone else will get involved :) . My priority is filling my fresh reset of FSX with massive AI, starting from my home country and around. Why no P3D plan ? Because I have a potato computer and that would not change anytime soon. That explains why I'm not interested in extremely detailed sceneries yet.

BTW, I noticed in the ADE I made there is no way to match runway aiming point bars (the big fat white rectangles markings where you're supposed to land) with the real thing. Default runway generation in FSX places them farther of the threshold, making the runway look like much shorter. And FS9 is not able to control PAPI 4 spacing between each light. Haven't checked in FSX yet, but I doubt I would be able either.

Last, there are probably other Rodrigues addons out there (Afcad/ADE or even custom scenery improvements), and some groups may have alredy reworked the Island a bit. Could be worth checking, but on my part, I believe no one except me would go the masochyst way of trying to match reality pixel perfect, even by using the default FS engine.

Country
mauritius
Hi.

Can you detail what "quality" level are you expecting ? "Beautiful" depends on your system specs.

I started a new Afcad/ADE for the airport a week ago, for massive fantasy AI traffic needs (like a fleet of 6 B1900 for CatovAir and one Saab 340B). Also planning VTP rework (coastlines, landclass and patches of VTP polygons), I need to figure out how to script default buildings generation. Maybe a few custom buildings, but I'm not planning on pro level quality, just for fun.

There is no ground polygon planned, no mesh, and the project was started on a basis of an FS9 export, then and FSX port (I don't own P3D nor MSFS). I just happenned to start learning the differences between FS9 techniques and compile which I know well, and FSX differences and extra options. I just happen to create my own way of building scenery with lines and polygons and reference points directly created in GoogleEarth. There is no limit I know of how many polygons I can create while being as accurate as what satellites photos are offering. Building an Afcad/ADE the size of Rodrigues is a matter of a couple hours for a quick KML to XML conversion (30 sec.) and FSX BGLComp with compile helper. The VTP part takes more time depending on how many details I want to add (roads, dirt/mud/forest/city patches/beach size...)

The bigger picture is all and everything in Madagascar and around (someting like 200 airfields/airstrips in the country, with islands like Agalega, Iles Eparses...). The only big scenery project I'm planning is Antananarivo/Ivato, and Rodrigues would be the 30th in my list of such big investment (after several malagasy airports improvements obviously).

How long it would take for my planned Rodrigues files to get on Avsim ? Well, there is no deadline, it will get released when ready (weeks, months, years ? that's just how it is, sorry). If what I'm plannong doesn't suits your needs, I hope someone else will get involved :) . My priority is filling my fresh reset of FSX with massive AI, starting from my home country and around. Why no P3D plan ? Because I have a potato computer and that would not change anytime soon. That explains why I'm not interested in extremely detailed sceneries yet.

BTW, I noticed in the ADE I made there is no way to match runway aiming point bars (the big fat white rectangles markings where you're supposed to land) with the real thing. Default runway generation in FSX places them farther of the threshold, making the runway look like much shorter. And FS9 is not able to control PAPI 4 spacing between each light. Haven't checked in FSX yet, but I doubt I would be able either.

Last, there are probably other Rodrigues addons out there (Afcad/ADE or even custom scenery improvements), and some groups may have alredy reworked the Island a bit. Could be worth checking, but on my part, I believe no one except me would go the masochyst way of trying to match reality pixel perfect, even by using the default FS engine.
Hi. Thank you very much to reply.

I'm using Microsoft Flight Simulator X Acceleration on Windows 10.
A good quality means that terminal building, Tower, windsocks, papi lights, etc all should approach to reality.
If your are interesting i can send you some pics for you.
I noticed a scenery of the island bh Carlyle Sharpe. It seems good but not enough material for proper terminal buildings. Old windsocks. Tower not placed at correct view etc.

Just have a look about some pics.

1616655604284.png

1616655650275.png

1616655695040.png

1616655732071.png

1616656027059.png

Carlyle Sharpe work on the whole island + the airport. But the scenery of the airport seems to miss so many thing like i listed above.

There's another scenery on XPLANE which i'm sire will help you to built up the scenery due to some accuracy in the placemwnt of the buildings.
Here's some pics below
1616656120564.png

1616656169859.png

1616656225915.png

So if you are really interested aboit building a good scenery of the airport and the whole island for FSX. I can even send you pics of the airport via my email.

Let me know for more informations. Thank you

Last edited:
Country
madagascar
Thanks for the offer (the pics)

Quick point out : edit your post : never post email address on forum posts. => You can pass it on via in-forum private messaging by clicking on user profile (on the left). :)

Back to Rodrigues, I think my primary target rendition about hypothetically working on Rodrigues would look very similar to Carlyle Sharpe's work. I mean, by the use of default landclasses (textures). And the terminal indeed has quite a specific design that would require a special treatment (I use GMax), but I don't think I'll spend countless hours to get it perfect on a first batch. What may be different is the amount of specific polygons that defines the nature of a patch of land, I would draw as many as I could, but alas, still using the default landclass textures provided as is from default the sim install. As I mentionned, for "everything custom with 100% new objects/new textures", I already have a big ongoing airport project which is unfortunately not Rodrigues, and cannot be postponned.

I did mentionned the "no deadline" though, because the final aim would be MSFS (that entire Madagascar region), and that would require going the entire SDK (MSFS/P3D when the time comes) to get the max I can reach provided by the platform. That means I plan a "multi stage" project where I would get all airports the same way (default everything), then I would add custom buildings, landmarks, animations, etc. progressively (that would take years to do the entire region).

From the time being, I am unfortunately of no help to you, sorry, I hate giving false hope.

Another detail : FSX cannot do slopped airports. Or actually, it's possible, but AI operation will move along the same unique horizontal plan (the airport altitude reference) and therefore would magically "float" at some areas, and dive in the ground somewere else. As an AI addict, I cannot go slopped until I get P3Dv4+/v5 or MSFS (I have no plans on XPlane)

Country
mauritius
Thank you for your reply. I think that it would be difficult for instance i understood. But i would like to share the some pics i have for the airport maybe if one day you decide. Specifically it would be great because i live there😀

1616671358711.png

1616671418530.png

1616671459933.png

1616671539906.png

1616671602098.png

1616671651011.png

1616671717694.png

Country
mauritius
Thanks for the offer (the pics)

Quick point out : edit your post : never post email address on forum posts. => You can pass it on via in-forum private messaging by clicking on user profile (on the left). :)

Back to Rodrigues, I think my primary target rendition about hypothetically working on Rodrigues would look very similar to Carlyle Sharpe's work. I mean, by the use of default landclasses (textures). And the terminal indeed has quite a specific design that would require a special treatment (I use GMax), but I don't think I'll spend countless hours to get it perfect on a first batch. What may be different is the amount of specific polygons that defines the nature of a patch of land, I would draw as many as I could, but alas, still using the default landclass textures provided as is from default the sim install. As I mentionned, for "everything custom with 100% new objects/new textures", I already have a big ongoing airport project which is unfortunately not Rodrigues, and cannot be postponned.

I did mentionned the "no deadline" though, because the final aim would be MSFS (that entire Madagascar region), and that would require going the entire SDK (MSFS/P3D when the time comes) to get the max I can reach provided by the platform. That means I plan a "multi stage" project where I would get all airports the same way (default everything), then I would add custom buildings, landmarks, animations, etc. progressively (that would take years to do the entire region).

From the time being, I am unfortunately of no help to you, sorry, I hate giving false hope.

Another detail : FSX cannot do slopped airports. Or actually, it's possible, but AI operation will move along the same unique horizontal plan (the airport altitude reference) and therefore would magically "float" at some areas, and dive in the ground somewere else. As an AI addict, I cannot go slopped until I get P3Dv4+/v5 or MSFS (I have no plans on XPlane)
Thank you for your reply. See the post below👍

Country
madagascar
Thank you for the pics. Every material have its use. Hopefully, someday we'll get there. However, someone else somewhere could aswell have plans on this cute airport (not even knowing about this topic, that would be great). :)

Country
australia
Hi All,

Deenesh here, I've stumbled on this chat by coincidence and might have something that would please you.

It's been a long time since I built the airport Carlyle used in his great rendition on Sir Gaetan Duval Airport for FSX and years have passed when I stopped flying in FSX as my computer could not cope with the graphic.
But I could not let pass the stunning MSFS 2020, this time I built a PC that would run the Sim on Ultra and VR, boy I have no regrets.

That said, I got in the scenery design in FSX with Rodrigues Airport and thought of to do the same again.
I have started the work a couple of months now and progressing well. Of course with my commitments, it is hard to spec on an eta.

As you already know, the lack of information and reference for the airport creates it's own challenges as I'm having to second guess every line I draw.
I understand that there have been multiple renovation and an extension to the airport which I may tackle in a different project.

At this stage, I will be working on a replica (a mix bag of old and new) of the terminal building and hopefully some aerial imagery of the surrounding.

Below is a few images of the work thuds far. Let me know your thoughts.

Happy flying.

1636717418175.png

1636717438091.png

1636717456419.png

1636717491279.png

Country
mauritius
Hi All,

Deenesh here, I've stumbled on this chat by coincidence and might have something that would please you.

It's been a long time since I built the airport Carlyle used in his great rendition on Sir Gaetan Duval Airport for FSX and years have passed when I stopped flying in FSX as my computer could not cope with the graphic.
But I could not let pass the stunning MSFS 2020, this time I built a PC that would run the Sim on Ultra and VR, boy I have no regrets.

That said, I got in the scenery design in FSX with Rodrigues Airport and thought of to do the same again.
I have started the work a couple of months now and progressing well. Of course with my commitments, it is hard to spec on an eta.

As you already know, the lack of information and reference for the airport creates it's own challenges as I'm having to second guess every line I draw.
I understand that there have been multiple renovation and an extension to the airport which I may tackle in a different project.

At this stage, I will be working on a replica (a mix bag of old and new) of the terminal building and hopefully some aerial imagery of the surrounding.

Below is a few images of the work thuds far. Let me know your thoughts.

Happy flying.

View attachment 78121
View attachment 78122
View attachment 78123
View attachment 78124
Hi Deenesh. These pics looks great. Great job