• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS Scenery troubles: compiled package works on one but not on another PC [weird]

AndyPaul

Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
So, I've just happily finished a little test project, in which I place some objects in the world. Works fabulously, and the scenery is shown correctly when it is placed in the Community folder. However, two other simmers tried the scenery, with exactly the same files, and it didn't work for them, meaning the objects did not show up, no matter what settings they had in their sim.

Is anybody having any suggestion as to what might be wrong with this scenery? I mean, it works for me but for no one else, and this is outside of dev mode. Totally lost here.

Country
unitedkingdom
Hi Andy, I'd noticed tonight that my EGBF (EGVW) package wasn't showing up at all. Earlier I'd placed some more models into it, but when I came back to it tonight, nothing, the airport just didn't show up. I'm still trying to sus it out, but I've temporarily removed all of the models so that its just the base airport / polys and rectangles and it worked a treat. The only thing I remember from the errors earlier was that two of the textures wouldn't convert. I didnt think anything of it at the time and just expected them to be untextured. I'm starting again adding the models one at a time. But it was weird that it took out the whole airport.

AndyPaul

Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Yeah, I've had similar troubles going from Blender to MSFS. Sometimes models wouldn't show in the sim without an error message being displayed during compilation. Just weird behaviour. This one though, it works on my machine and installation but not on the machines of others. It is likely that it is some model issue or so, but I have no idea what since there's no way to properly test it.

Country
norway
That's really weird. My trouble shooting steps would be to make 100% sure that we are using the same files. I would delete the package you have in the community folder, make sure that the same file you are sending to your other simmers is the same as yours, and make sure that the package you sent is the same you are using.

Before I upload my sceneries, I always extract them from the zip file and try them my self, making sure that nothing wrong happened during compressing/zipping.

If you are however 100% sure that the files are the same, well, then this is extremely weird. Other factors comming in to play is that they have other packages in the same area conflicting

AndyPaul

Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Managed to install MSFS on an older laptop (the horror, took like 7 hours) and it works on there using the install package, so I'm pretty sure they gentlemen who tested it were doing something wrong or were just not being serious. :rolleyes:

Country
australia
Yes. I posted a scenery on sim-outhouse. It works for one guy, it doesn't for another. Not sure how to proceed from here.

Yes. I posted a scenery on sim-outhouse. It works for one guy, it doesn't for another. Not sure how to proceed from here.

I'll download and test for you my friend ;-)

EDIT: Downloaded and tested... unfortunately the default buildings showed up, not the ones in the image you posted at the soh link.

Last edited:
Country
australia
I'll download and test for you my friend ;-)

EDIT: Downloaded and tested... unfortunately the default buildings showed up, not the ones in the image you posted at the soh link.

Thanks. Could you please download again and retry. I've just uploaded a new version where I rearranged the file structure which I thought might be causing the problem. The original version used the same layout as the simplescenery example but the new version has something more in line with how the asobo detailed airports are arranged. I don't know if that will fix it or not but I don't know what else to do.

AndyPaul

Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Interesting to see that you have a similar problem @Anthony31. Maybe it is related to differences between Steam and Windows version of MSFS? Might be a possibilitiy given how strange this 'error' is. Checking out your scenery now.

AndyPaul

Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Just seen your comments on SimOutHouse @Anthony31 , folder structure seems to be the culprit and solved now. :D

Last edited:
Country
spain
Hi i'm developing a script to automatically create the folder structure for sceneries and I was pointed out that SimpleScenery was giving some problems and I should use Asobo structure, @Anthony31 which file did you change? I would like to update my script with a fix if it failing for some people. i checked your airport but I couldn't find any file related with simple scenery there. Do someone has the zip with asobo structure it would be really helpful

Country
australia
Hi i'm developing a script to automatically create the folder structure for sceneries and I was pointed out that SimpleScenery was giving some problems and I should use Asobo structure, @Anthony31 which file did you change? I would like to update my script with a fix if it failing for some people. i checked your airport but I couldn't find any file related with simple scenery there. Do someone has the zip with asobo structure it would be really helpful

layout.json will have the locations of all files. This file will be generated when you compile the scenery based on the locations you define in the xml in the PackageDefinitions folder. Change the AssetGroup and AssetDir and OutputDir for the BGL and ArtProj types from the default ones.

I'm not sure if you have access to the original files or if you are converting existing scenery. I have attached an old copy of the layout.json for my scenery which had the original simplescenery layout. Please compare with the current one.

Essentially I changed each instance of scenery/global/scenery/ to scenery/PalmersIsland/ and scenery/world/scenery/objects.bgl to scenery/YPLI_plc.bgl

Attachments

• layout.zip
    638 bytes · Views: 241
Country
spain
layout.json will have the locations of all files. This file will be generated when you compile the scenery based on the locations you define in the xml in the PackageDefinitions folder. Change the AssetGroup and AssetDir and OutputDir for the BGL and ArtProj types from the default ones.

I'm not sure if you have access to the original files or if you are converting existing scenery. I have attached an old copy of the layout.json for my scenery which had the original simplescenery layout. Please compare with the current one.

Essentially I changed each instance of scenery/global/scenery/ to scenery/PalmersIsland/ and scenery/world/scenery/objects.bgl to scenery/YPLI_plc.bgl
Then I think my script is not affected, for now i only create the folder strucutre previous to the compilation in the game, thanks for sharing I will take a look