• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Scenery water levels

Country
scotland
Hi, Gary,
Final spec close to previous:-

INTEL(R) Core(TM) i5-10600KF CPU @ 4.10GHz Comet Lake
ASUS Prime Z590-P SKT 1200 Motherboard
2 X 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 3600 Mhz
8 GB AMD Radeon RX 6600XT
ADATA PCI-E GEN 4 2TB M.2 SSD (XPG GAMMIX S70)
Seagate 2TB SATA3 HDD (ST2000LM015-2E8174)
700W PSU
LIAN LI GALAHAD AIO 240 CPU Cooler

Hope this provides enough detail for you to evaluate and maybe recommend settings, e.g. on the graphics interface or otherwise.
I don't yet understand the basics of overclocking (CPU?, GPU?, VRAM?) - maybe you could point me in the right direction. Having said that, the pc is still pretty impressive as standard,
Thanks,
jp

Country
us-illinois
Hi John:

My time is rather heavily spoken for with some concerns IRL right now, but I shall try to post a reply soon.

In the mean time, you may wish to ask the person who built your current system if the 2 TB ADATA M.2 SSD is in the PCIE-X4 M.2 slot on the motherboard, and if the DDR4 RAM is clocked at 3600 MHz with the Intel XMP profile option set active in the BIOS.

GaryGB

Last edited:
Country
scotland
Thanks, Gary - no rush. I realise you are always busy.
I'll pass on your query and see what the situation is.
jp

Country
scotland
Hi, Gary,
I got a reply:-
I got the reply back:-
"The SSD is in a x4 slot on the Motherboard. As for the DDR4 RAM, I don't think it will be clocked at 3600MHz"

I had a look at the BIOS screen myself and it shows DRAM ststus - DIMM X2 at 2133MHz.
Other settings are:-
EZ System Tuning AI overclocking (3 choices, normal, fast, extreme)
XMP either enabled or disabled (set at disabled)
Intel Rapid Storage either on or off (set at off)
I left everything as it was for now as I don't know what the various setings do.
I hope this information helps in some way.
Thanks,
jp

Country
us-illinois
Hi John:

AFAIK, the ASUS product page for your Z-590-P motherboard Manual is here:

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/PRIME/PRIME-Z590-P/

In the list, download, and save to disk ...these PDF files:

* Intel 500 series Channel BIOS UM (English Edition)

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...UF_GAMING_Intel_500_Series_BIOS_EM_WEB_EN.pdf

* PRIME Z590-P SPEC TABLE

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1200/PRIME_Z590-P/PRIME_Z590-P_One_Page_Spec.pdf

* PRIME Z590-P User’s Manual ( English Edition )

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1200/PRIME_Z590-P/E17714_PRIME_Z590-P_UM_WEB.pdf

It is apparent that ASUS has done extensive work with Intel engineers to update the feature set accessed by their ASUS-branded utility software.

It is possible this may minimize issues seen in prior CPUs with "TurboBoost Gone Wild" as discussed in the other thread I linked to above ...in this thread.

You 'may' no longer need to manually change settings in the BIOS to Intel "XMP" setting when in UEFI boot mode as this may now be software controlled.

I would recommend working in consultation with the supplier of your computer upgrade to set the DDR4 system RAM to run at a 3600 MHz speed. :pushpin:

It is possible that all else 'may' now be controlled via ASUS' own utility software.

IIUC, Intel may have provided a way to ensure only 1 CPU core is over clocked, but I have not yet seen in the manual if ASUS can set this outside the BIOS.

Ask if your computer upgrade consultant is willing to study the new Intel feature set accessible for your motherboard via the BIOS and/or ASUS software.

As the M.2 SSD is already in a PCIE X4 slot, after RAM is clocked at 3600 MHz for you, it may be possible to start testing use of the ASUS utility software.

IMHO, your "2 X 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 3600 Mhz" DDR4 DIMMs must be clocked at 3600 MHz (...that 'should' have been done during the build). ;)

I do not recommend trying to do this yourself, considering the substantially increased complexity of Intel BIOS options I now see in the Z590-P manual. :alert:

After completion of the DDR4 RAM configuration (so it is running at its full manufacturer-rated speed), let me know in a post, and I'll reply further. :)

GaryGB

Last edited:
Country
scotland
Hi, Gary.
I eventually got that fixed. I had a look at the BIOS screen with a bit of help and noted the DDR4 speed showed 2.1 GHz.
Now I know that to change that, all that was needed was to change the X.M.P. setting. It is now 3.6 GHz
I haven't changed any of the other settings until I know what the next step should be.
I did notice an improvement in the sim's performance, although I would hope to get it better.
(the agn scenery still struggles to keep up with a fast jet.)
I had a look at some of the overclocking material, but it all seems a bit baffling. I look forward to your recommendations.
Attached is image of BIOS screen similar to mine.
jp

Attachments

• BIOS screen.png
    BIOS screen.png
    176.5 KB · Views: 58
Country
us-illinois
Hi John:

My time will continue to be rather heavily spoken for with some concerns IRL into the coming New Year, so I shall try to post some general info here.

The features of the Intel CPU and motherboard chip set you have acquired are substantially more complex now than in prior Asus builds I have seen.

Thus, BIOS / User Manuals would each need to be studied in detail by both of us, as I primarily work with the AMD-based CPUs and motherboard chip sets.

Also, I would recommend a search on the internet to compare results via Asus utility software versus 'manual' tweaking by other users of similar hardware.

My available time to engage in what, IMHO, should properly be a very thorough study of all considerations required to maximize your system ...is limited.

So, until what I anticipate to be some time after the holidays and beginning of the New Year, I must limit my replies to your inquiry to some practical points.

I am assuming all cooling units in your new build are a "PWM" type: :pushpin:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/glossary-pwm-pulse-width-modulation-definition,5888.html

You may wish to work with your computer system builder for the following options to be configured/set active on/in the PRIME Z590-P motherboard/BIOS:

* Cooling Fans and AIO unit are all attached to correct pin headers specified in the PRIME Z590-P user guides (ASUS AI utilities will require correct config.)

* Monitoring of CPU and all other pertinent cooling fans and their RPMs = enabled

* BIOS monitoring of CPU and all other pertinent hardware component (ex: main board chip set, VRM, M.2, PCIE, SATA hard drives etc.) temperatures = enabled

* Monitoring of M.2, PCIE, SATA hard drives temperatures via utility software in Windows = enabled

ADATA SSD ToolBox

https://www.xpg.com/us/xpg/685?tab=downloads

https://www.adata.com/us/support/consumer?tab=downloads

* Monitoring of video card and GPU chip core temperatures enabled via AMD utility software in Windows

https://drivers.amd.com/drivers/non...alin-2020-21.11.3-win10-win11-64bit-nov17.exe

To optimize default, AI controlled, and manual / custom overclocking, PWM cooling fan speeds etc., download / install / configure:

Asus PRIME Z590-P Utilities

Version 3.00.78 2021/04/15 65.56 MBytes

Ai Suite3-3.00.78 & EZ Update-3.00.16 For Windows 10 64-bit.
ASUS AI Suite 3 V3.00.78 Install Program for Windows 10 64-bit.
ASUS EZ Update V3.00.16 for Windows 10 64-bit.

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/14Utilities/AI_Suite_III_Setup_3.00.78.zip

IMHO, all the above would be required in preparation for learning / testing further tweaks to optimize performance with your new hardware. :teacher:

PS: AFAIK, no version of MS-FS / P3D has a run time rendering engine capable of max. density Autogen rendering at aircraft speeds exceeding 300 KIAS.

IIUC, only custom liquid Nitrogen cooled CPU overclocked CPUs / GPUs could keep up with the Mach-level high A/C speeds you cited above as your goal.

You must attenuate both LOD display Radius and Autogen density settings at high A/C speeds, or you will create a scenario that FS can not keep up with.

Additionally, you may achieve further Autogen-attenuation via A/C Altitude-related scenery features in Ground Environment Prepar3D World Edition: :idea:

NOTE: IIUC, the above product uses Autogen *an.agn file names for proprietary and default land class textures, but not custom photo-real satellite imagery.

This Autogen *an.agn file name series may not be compatible for use with ex: PlaySims GenX Scotland scenery custom photo-real satellite imagery BGLs. :alert:

GaryGB

Last edited:
Country
scotland
Thanks, Gary.

You have given me a lot to check out there.
I will look at each item in turn so that when you get the time to spare, you will have a better idea of the system set-up.
As to the sim rendering speed, I strongly suspected that there was always a limit and that max display settings + speed are a bit optimistic. (depending on the hardware spec.). However, even without overclocking, this system is a big improvement on the previous one.
I will try to get the information on the specified items and get back to you.
Meantime, we all understand the need sometimes to take a bit of time off and any feedback you give when you can is greatly appreciated.
jp